Blond moments while playing

This one time, I tried playing jazz.

I turned the snares off on the guys drumset who was gonna be playing after my band...

And i forgot to turn them back on...

So when the drummer when to play the first notes of his band's set, the snares were off...

Oh and the drummer was Lez Warner.

:eek:

I turned the snares off on the guys drumset who was gonna be playing after my band...

And i forgot to turn them back on...

So when the drummer when to play the first notes of his band's set, the snares were off...

Oh and the drummer was Lez Warner.

:eek:

That's Lez' fault. Whenever I get to sit in, it's my responsibility to make sure the kit is ready - otherwise why would I have a reputation of being able to sit-in?

And hey, the title of the thread insults blond people ;)

Please name a pretty bad blonde moment you had

I was playing drums for the headliner at a rather large festival in Canada not too long ago. About 1000 people in attendance. The tip of my drum stick broke off and nailed me right between the eyes, surprised me so much, I fell off my throne in the middle of a song. Thank god all the musicians had click tracks in their ears!

I was playing drums for the headliner at a rather large festival in Canada not too long ago. About 1000 people in attendance. The tip of my drum stick broke off and nailed me right between the eyes, surprised me so much, I fell off my throne in the middle of a song. Thank god all the musicians had click tracks in their ears!

Funny story !! What are the odds of that happening...........

On a side note;

What !!!
A band playing for an audience and all of the musicians have click tracks in their ears ????
Oh my gosh. That is outrageous !
If I had to play in bands like that, I'd quit drumming and take up rock collecting.

Please name a pretty bad blonde moment you had

Do you mean like when you screw up some part of a song that you've played about a million times before? That sounds like what I'd call a "blonde moment", and I hate when it happens! The worst part, if it's an ending that I have a blonde moment on (like forgetting precisely when it ends), it can sometimes make me forget exactly how I used to know exactly when it ends and from that moment on I have to figure it out like I'm learning it for the first time. lol

Or, like when I'm doing an intro that I used to nail without thinking about it and then I suddenly have a blonde moment and I can no longer do it naturally and the only way I can do it is if I listen to the original version and basically relearn it!

So to me, a "blonde moment" is a moment of flakiness, like when you make a mental error with some part in a song - or maybe even the whole song! lol Flaking out on the whole song would be a nightmare and fortunately that hasn't happened to me (yet lol).

Last edited:
Less of a blonde moment but I was playing a gig with a function band I used to be in, we opened with Use Somebody by Kings of Leon and it got to a big fill before the chorus, and l caught the stick underneath the crash. It goes flying past the guitarist and I just watched it in pure surprise haha. I think I had a rod laying about so I just grabbed that and joined in on the next bar, it wasn't a big gig luckily.

Sometimes I suffer from overthinking a part, generally something simple that I have played loads but for some reason I think "Okay what's next". Then I'm no longer using muscle memory and I mess it up.

Wow...getting my bass drum petal beater ....stuck under my bell bottoms,while playing the opening drum beat to "Honkey Tonk Woman" at a High School assembly as a freshman in the late 60's,and being embarassed in front of the whole student body.

Now THATS a reason to knock over your drums,and run away ,while wearing a cape.

Steve B

Glad to see I'm not alone here!

My blonde moment happens every time I try to think about what I'm playing. If I let my brain come to the party, my drumming suffers. I don't know why.

Anybody have any ideas?

I got a signed drum head from Bill Ward when I was 14 y.o. I had broken my regular snare head one day and we lived far away from town. So I decided to use the signed drum head just for a day until I got a new drum head for my snare. Bad decision. The first hit put a hole right through it. I was bummed out to say the least.

I thought the subject said "Bond Moments" and had a very different image in my head.

Let's see. I once played an entire marimba solo an octave too low. While playing the bells on a piece in high school band, I hit a note a half-step off from what I was supposed to play. Hearing my error, I quickly dampened the bar with my hand. When the wrong note kept ringing, I was thoroughly confused. Then I realized that dampening the right bar does not do much to stop the wrong note. Thankfully this was just rehearsal. Valuable lesson. I can't think of any good drum set ones off the top of my head.

Once, in high school the director started conducting the wrong song. We were supposed to be playing one that's very energetic. He started the slow soft one that starts with solo timpani. I played timpani on both. Prepared for the fast one, his preparatory beat gave me enough time to think "Crap! I'm going to play the wrong song and he's going to kill me" then retune the one drum I needed for the opening note, and play right on cue. He kept conducting and I kept playing, but the rest of the band never came in because they were thoroughly confused. The director said he was starting to doubt himself, but kept going because he didn't think I'd be wrong too.

Funny story !! What are the odds of that happening...........

On a side note;

What !!!
A band playing for an audience and all of the musicians have click tracks in their ears ????
Oh my gosh. That is outrageous !
If I had to play in bands like that, I'd quit drumming and take up rock collecting.

What if you already collect rocks?

Let me see...

I once broke a supposedly unbreakable Ahead aluminium stick during a (probably pretty poor) drum solo...and I think it was quickly followed by one of the wooden ones I had as spares.

I once got my shoelace caught round the left-hand beater of my double pedal, meaning it pulled my right foot forward every time I used the left one.

I once played a show supporting Alestorm (actually, christian bAlestorm) in 2009 where I borrowed someone else's pedals and the right-hand beater fell off once during the soundcheck and twice during a half-hour set, and I had to actually stop TWO songs and go and explain to the audience what had happened so I didn't look like a complete idiot.

I once played a show, a battle of the bands heat or something, where the house drum kit essentially fell apart while I was playing it, and I ended up supporting the snare drum with my knees while playing.

One of my old bands had a song where sometimes I would do a freetime solo during the outro that would segue into the next song. Once when we were playing an outdoor music event, my bass beater flew off right at the end of the song and I was literally scrabbling around trying to find it under the drums and at the back of the stage so I could start the solo while the rest of the band just played for time doing something or other.

I bet there's more of these but that's a few. I don't think any of them were really my fault though, apart from possibly the first one.

Glad to see I'm not alone here!

My blonde moment happens every time I try to think about what I'm playing. If I let my brain come to the party, my drumming suffers. I don't know why.

Anybody have any ideas?

The best way I can answer this is by recommending this: when you are having a conversation with someone, experiment with thinking about it too much. For example: begin thinking about the way you need to move your lips and your tongue in order to form the sounds that will be the words that you speak. Begin thinking about the correct tone of your voice needed for what you're saying and the correct pitch whether it needs to be high or low. Begin thinking about the correct rate of your speech. Begin thinking about the correct timing for when you need to begin speaking in response to what was just said by someone else. Begin thinking about the correct words that you need to use. Begin thinking about the correct body language that you need to use, and the correct facial expressions.

In other words, begin thinking about all of those things that you have internalized and then see what happens. ;)

So, I see it being the same with playing an instrument. The moment we begin thinking too much about what we're playing, or how we're playing it, etc. etc. etc., we begin to lose the ability to just do it naturally.

Let's say that you're going to go on vacation for 2 weeks in a place where they only speak a language that you don't know at all. Now let's say that you decide to learn several phrases and words that will get you buy. Imagine what will happen when you try to have a conversation with someone using what you've learned. You're going to be a very clunky conversationalist because you're having to think about what you're saying every step of the way, perhaps even from syllable to syllable.

I hope this makes sense!

I thought the subject said "Bond Moments" and had a very different image in my head.

Let's see. I once played an entire marimba solo an octave too low. While playing the bells on a piece in high school band, I hit a note a half-step off from what I was supposed to play. Hearing my error, I quickly dampened the bar with my hand. When the wrong note kept ringing, I was thoroughly confused. Then I realized that dampening the right bar does not do much to stop the wrong note. Thankfully this was just rehearsal. Valuable lesson. I can't think of any good drum set ones off the top of my head.

lol Now that's a blonde moment! We have lots of things in this thread that are not blonde moments at all.

IOnce, in high school the director started conducting the wrong song. We were supposed to be playing one that's very energetic. He started the slow soft one that starts with solo timpani. I played timpani on both. Prepared for the fast one, his preparatory beat gave me enough time to think "Crap! I'm going to play the wrong song and he's going to kill me" then retune the one drum I needed for the opening note, and play right on cue. He kept conducting and I kept playing, but the rest of the band never came in because they were thoroughly confused. The director said he was starting to doubt himself, but kept going because he didn't think I'd be wrong too.

lol

I've kind of done that myself a few times counting off songs on stage. Oh, the agony of embarrassment.

Back