DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Shopping 5 Star Drum Shops.

I'm in the market to add another kit to my collection and I sent out mass emails to drum shops of my kit in question.

I'm amazed that it took 3 days to get a reply from them when I'm inquiring on a purchase well over $1500. What even gets me more is the prices I've gotten. So far I have a $450 difference from the highest to the lowest price dealer. Most shops said they would price match..but I asked for their best price!

I left Dales Drum Shop out of the kit search for their ignorance to me this past summer because of the same situation. I got a price on a kit and someone beat them and they made it personal with me, and as I was outside they had a few words about me which my friend who was in the shop over heard it all. I would also like to mention that I had spent $3000 there the past year, I would consider myself a good customer. I also want to mention I've been unemployed for well over a year...so Thank You for all my business Dales!

I'm just shocked how laid back service is in this economy. So far the "BEST" shop I found and has been slaughtering everyone's prices is Backbeat Drum Shop. I've dealt with them a bit this past summer and it's seems they are the most competitive shop out there.

If you were wondering about the new kit I want it's another Classic Maple like the one I already have just in Gold Sparkle. 16x26, 14x16, 8x12
Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Shopping 5 Star Drum Shops.

It is surprising it took them that long to reply. On the other hand how many 100 emails a day do they have to go through? The customer in the store is always going to come first and emails second since the in store customer they usually (not in your case) are the ones they have a better chance of spending money at that moment.

I would have to add if you've been unemployed for a year is it really a good idea to add another kit to the collection right now?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
It is surprising it took them that long to reply. On the other hand how many 100 emails a day do they have to go through? The customer in the store is always going to come first and emails second since the in store customer they usually (not in your case) are the ones they have a better chance of spending money at that moment.

I would have to add if you've been unemployed for a year is it really a good idea to add another kit to the collection right now?
My prior job paid very well so I got nice unemployment for the place I worked at for 16 years. It's a nice break to still have money for gear and actually be able to stay at home and enjoy it. I will be joining the work force soon, my unemployed time is about up. Another thing to consider is look at all the gas money I save at $4.00 a gallon not having to leave the house every day... it becomes gear money!

My main point was I thought Dales Drum Shop was ignorant to the fact I am unemployed and I tried to save money when purchasing something. Any business should be glad for the business they receive from anyone.

Last edited by Kg_lee; 04-12-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg_lee View Post

My main point was I thought Dales Drum Shop was ignorant to the fact I am unemployed and I tried to save money when purchasing something. Any business should be glad for the business they receive from anyone.
I don't know the exact situation that you were in when talking to the people at Dales, but I can tell you that they don't have much maneuvering room with their prices being as low as they are. I've been shopping there for more than twenty five years and never encountered ignorance of any kind. Who was the salesperson that you were working with? Two of the people that were there left recently because I believe they worked there on a part time basis.

This just baffles me.

Dennis
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I don't know the exact situation that you were in when talking to the people at Dales, but I can tell you that they don't have much maneuvering room with their prices being as low as they are. I've been shopping there for more than twenty five years and never encountered ignorance of any kind. Who was the salesperson that you were working with? Two of the people that were there left recently because I believe they worked there on a part time basis.

This just baffles me.

Dennis
I'm not mentioning names but they shouldn't have done what they did. So what they didn't make one sale with me. I buy drum sets like they are going out of style. I would have gotten another one at some point, their rudeness sent me elsewhere.

I just think people should shop around at different 5 Star Drum Shops because I feel service is important!
Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Prices are also governed by the relationship the shop has with a particular drum company.Some companys require you to stock their drums,so the shop has to buy a certain amount of gear to maintain dealership status.That means a shop has to warehouse some of what they sell.All of that relates to mark up.,retail/wholesale pricing,and really...how mush wiggle room a shop really has on a given product,before it has to actually take a loss to make a sale.

As an example,if I were going to buy a Tama kit.in NY,I would with doubt go to the Long Island drum Center.I might even pay a little more,than if I did an internet search for the cheapest price.But what I'm buying for those few extra bucks is customer service. LIDC has had a great relationship with Tama for many years now.If I have a problem with my Tama kit,It WILL be resolved to my satisfaction,because they know who to call at Tama to make it happen.

If I were going to buy Ludwig,I would go to the Drum Center of Portsmouth,and talk to Shaun,because of the relationship he has with Ludwig.Not all 5 star shops are created equal.

Steve B
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Id actually talk to Shane there....

F
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM

I know the economy is bad but i always thought the rule of etiquette on the internet was to allow about 3 days for someone to respond. They get a lot of email. Lots of price inquires. 200 people a day email drum shops asking for a price. Only one is going to buy. But they have to treat each email as a possible sale. Then another 100 people want to just ask a question about a product. I know its just a excuse. But it happens. See they read the emails in order. Then they got to yours and had to go look at what was in stock or could be ordered and for what price. Then they sent you a response. It can take a little while.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

I have always and will always shop at Dale's. They've only ever treated me with the utmost respect and courtesy.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM

Is anyone aware of this when buying a kit at a 5 Star drum shop? I never got any of these things!

http://www.fivestardrumshops.com/rights.html
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I sent out mass emails to drum shops of my kit in question.
I think that is part of the issue.

You sent out mass emails. Any experienced retailer is going to realize they are just one of dozens of places you are contacting. You don't come off as a particularly serious buyer when you do this.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Shopping around has always been a smart way to spend money, especially when the price differences can be in the hundreds. In this economy, even a $20 savings is worth pursuing.

But when you ask for a shop's best price and make your decision accordingly, the shop shouldn't get angry about it. Even if they say "you should have given us a chance to match the other price" you can only be expected to chase pricing so much.

I don't know who at Dale's you had the problem with, but I'll guess it wasn't the owner. That's the beauty in dealing with an independent shop - somebody owns the shop and cares about their business and their customers. They have a vested interest in the success of the shop, and would never deliberately upset a customer or drive away business. Often the employees are family, and have that same insterest in the business that they hope to own someday.

It's a drag that someone there alienated you. There's really no substitute for being able to walk into a well-stocked shop and talk drums with someone face to face.

Where is Backbeat Drum Shop? Is it a 5-star shop? Online only?

Bermuda
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Id actually talk to Shane there....

F
I stand corrected.

Steve B
Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I think that is part of the issue.

You sent out mass emails. Any experienced retailer is going to realize they are just one of dozens of places you are contacting. You don't come off as a particularly serious buyer when you do this.
Yeah, I'm not a serious buyer..I shop to save money and since I've been unemployed I purchased a Ludwig Classic Maple kit, Vistalite Kit, Sonor Safari Kit, various Zildjian K cymbals, DW flush base hardware and a Roland Electronic kit. I got all these things because I shop smart! I'm not rich.

I forgot about my snare drum collection..Ludwig BB, Ludwig Black Magic Engraved, and Black Nickle Acrolite (one off).
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

I live in Urbana,IL (twin cities of Champaign and Urbana). We have a Five Star Drumshop
called "Skins n' Tins". The owners (Terry and his wife Liz) are amongst the best people I have
ever known. Going into this shop reminds me of going into Chicago's Frank's Drum Shop in
the 50's and 60's. They bend over backwards to help drummers out. This just shows that
all Five Star Drum Shops are not the same. We are so lucky to have this store locally!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

Where is Backbeat Drum Shop? Is it a 5-star shop? Online only?

Bermuda
Backbeats Drum Shop
Drum Sales Dept: sales@backbeats.com. 6089 Highland Dr. Salt Lake City, UT 84121 801.274.8400 fax 801.274.8844.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Is anyone aware of this when buying a kit at a 5 Star drum shop? I never got any of these things!

I shop at Ray Fransen's In Kenner, Louisiana. I bought a mapex m-birch kit that was used at french quarter fest. They tuned the set up. Went through the kit with me. Gave me free sticks. I have a drum teacher so i didn't need free lessons. But i learned a lot from the guy that sold me the kit so it was like a free lesson during the sale. I have no complaints.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Hilarious. Nope...never got that. Of course, from the 5 star shop I shopped at in pittsburgh, Drum world, I had to speak to an attorney because of their joke customer service. But yeah, no mention of any of those things.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 AM

Dales has been nothing but fantastic for me (all of the salesmen and Dale)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:35 AM
audiotech

Just to add this comment.

There must be credible reasons why Dale's Drum Shop have a 100% positive feedback rating with over 14,500 positive entries on Ebay. Just saying.

Dennis
Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Just to add this comment.

There must be credible reasons why Dale's Drum Shop have a 100% positive feedback rating with over 14,500 positive entries on Ebay. Just saying.

Dennis
I speak the truth of how they talked crap about me because a friend of mine was in the store and I guess they didn't realize it. I'm not saying they don't have good prices once in awhile they just didn't have the best price at the time I shopped for my last kit and made it a personal issue with me. I know I'm not the only one out there that spends thousands on gear every year but I am one of few who buy's new kit consistently. I were sore loser when it came to that sale and were very unprofessional about it especially when I've been shopping there since my childhood. Believe I thought Dales was the greatest thing until they talked crap about me.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmurr View Post
I know the economy is bad but i always thought the rule of etiquette on the internet was to allow about 3 days for someone to respond. They get a lot of email. Lots of price inquires. 200 people a day email drum shops asking for a price. Only one is going to buy. But they have to treat each email as a possible sale. Then another 100 people want to just ask a question about a product. I know its just a excuse. But it happens. See they read the emails in order. Then they got to yours and had to go look at what was in stock or could be ordered and for what price. Then they sent you a response. It can take a little while.
For sure.

Hell, it takes my bank 3 days to cash a cheque.....and that's my own money!! Waiting 3 days for a retailer to answer a general enquiry is nothing. This is making a mountain out of a molehill if ever I've seen it. You're pissed at one particular store for rudeness and suddenly the rest of them have to cop your wrath......what's up with that? I don't get the grief here at all.

You want immediate service, walk into a store with cash in hand.....then they'll jump.