DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 10-28-2014, 04:49 PM

Default 20" Bass Drum Dampening? (New Catalina Club)

Hey There

Here is a question for you 20" bass drum users. To date I have only played the 22" and 24" sizes.

I just ordered a new Catalina Club kit which comes with a 20x14 bass drum. The stock heads it ships with are:

- Batter - Clear UT Ambassador with muffle ring
- Resonant - Coated white Gretsch head with muffle ring

N.B. - I actually can't find a clear Ambassador with muffle ring on the Remo website but this provided head sounds like a good choice.

I am planning on leaving the resonant head unported.

Question: For a good jazz tone, do you think any changes will be needed in terms of dampening?

I generally prefer an open type of sound as opposed to the sudden deadening/extreme gating that can come from using pillow, for example.

If I had to buy the heads I would normally choose a clear Ambassador for the batter side and a coated Ambassador for the resonant side and might consider using a felt strip on either the batter or resonant head to counteract some over ring.

What do you 20" bass drum users think?
Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 20" Bass Drum Dampening? (New Catalina Club)

I'd say replace the UT heads ASAP. I've never heard a good word about them- they're Remo's 'bargain' version of their regular heads, made in Taiwan. And don't worry about the 20" size, it'll sound like a bass drum anyways.

Regular coated Ambassador with maybe a felt strip on the bass drum sounds great to me for jazz. I have to say as well, I found after trying Vickick beaters that I vastly preferred the sound to my regular DW beaters. You might try the felt model, or maybe the very soft fleece one, and see what it does to your tone.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Nice choice 20" is great and no dampening needed IMO, especially if you want a jazz tone.

For a more controlled sound, Remo PS3 batter side, Ambassador reso side with felt strip, unported, no fill.

For a traditional open sound, Ambassador batter and reso side, with felt strip, unported. Jazzy tone on this would come with tuning it higher.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
I'd say replace the UT heads ASAP. I've never heard a good word about them- they're Remo's 'bargain' version of their regular heads, made in Taiwan. And don't worry about the 20" size, it'll sound like a bass drum anyways.

Regular coated Ambassador with maybe a felt strip on the bass drum sounds great to me for jazz. I have to say as well, I found after trying Vickick beaters that I vastly preferred the sound to my regular DW beaters. You might try the felt model, or maybe the very soft fleece one, and see what it does to your tone.
Thanks porter...I've got a felt beater and prefer this beater type anyway. To me it always seems to make the bass sound a little fatter.

I may swap out the batter with an Ambassador anyway. Some of my favourite jazz players seem to get a great tone from them.

Cheers
Derek
Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Nice choice 20" is great and no dampening needed IMO, especially if you want a jazz tone.

For a more controlled sound, Remo PS3 batter side, Ambassador reso side with felt strip, unported, no fill.

For a traditional open sound, Ambassador batter and reso side, with felt strip, unported. Jazzy tone on this would come with tuning it higher.
Thanks man....can't wait to get this new kit and try out the 20" bass drum. Your advice seems to parallel what many others are saying, especially the PS3/Ambassador recommendation.

Cheers
Derek
Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

I'm using a 20x14 with clear PS3 with a small Falam Slam Patch and red wooden danmar beater and a coated PS3 on front with a regular sized port-hole. No dampening needed (think Questo's kick sound on the older Fallon series) For a more controlled attack I could muffle it with a small blanket if needed.

Last edited by MusiQmaN; 10-29-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

You'll probably end up changing it, but I'd say at least try it before you do.

Try some various tunings, maybe put a felt strip, or one of those pillows with it.
If it has a dampening ring, you can also tuck felt inside that.
See what you've got first before swapping stuff out right away.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
I'm using a 20x14 with clear PS3 with a small Falam Slam Patch and red wooden danmar beater and a coated PS3 on front with a regular sized port-hole. No dampening needed (think Questo's kick sound on the older Fallon series) For a more controlled attack I could muffle it with a small blanket if needed.

Thanks MusiQmaN...appreciate your input.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
You'll probably end up changing it, but I'd say at least try it before you do.

Try some various tunings, maybe put a felt strip, or one of those pillows with it.
If it has a dampening ring, you can also tuck felt inside that.
See what you've got first before swapping stuff out right away.
Thanks wildbill...I'm even more excited about this whole thing as the music shop I ordered through just called me to say my kit is in. Going to pick it up and now and get busy tuning. This is what I ordered in Vintage Marine Pearl...

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=759

Thanks
Derek