DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 PM

Default Hoops

Wood rims on a snare drum are a fascinating albeit virgin territory for me; to the people who already play them -- how often do they wear to the point of replacing, if that happens? Have any broke on you? Are some brands of hoop more durable than others? I really want to try wooden hoops on my snare but I am a heavy hitter that plays a lot of rock music, and sometimes jazz; will I need to purchase more than one set of hoops? Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hoops

I think it depends on which style of wood hoop you're talking about, either the bass drum style with claws or the thick Yamaha hoop.

I have the Yamaha vintage hoops on all of my toms, and I've tried them on a snare as well. To me they seem solid and could probably take a lot more abuse than I'll ever dish out.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 PM

Hey there!
i am a big fan of wood hoops. I even ordered some for my mapex nomad snare. they are indian red oak i believe. not a chip in them so far. i play in a prog band doing a lot of rim shots. give it a try! i'm not a brand loyal kinda guy. a custom shop makes custom hoops for less than a 100$ per pair down where i live.
have fun!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:31 AM

I'm curious also. I'd like to get the Craviotto hoops for my snare, but I wonder, since they are on the thin side, how easily they dent.

Any Craviotto snare owners out there with the wood hoops? How are they holding up?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 AM
Gold Member

I have the wood hoops from drum factory direct on a Steve Jordan snare. I hit very hard a play rimshots 99% of the time. They have marks on them but they can tKe quite a beating.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 AM
MasterBlaster

So is there any more love or hate for wooden rims? I really want full sets for all my drums, but only because of the way they look. I really think they would go well with my natural lacquered maple. It looks like about 4 bills to order them.

Is that silly of me?

And do they actually add anything to the sound?

These will be the drilled version.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:33 AM
Platinum Member

I hate to sound "anti-marketing-hype", but a few years ago I took a Ludwig wood snare that came with standard 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops, and did an A-B comparison with a pair of Yamaha's wood hoops.

I discovered no difference. Although it did look really cool.

I'm now convinced if you want to change your tone, do it with heads. I can take my 6.5" Supraphonic, and if I want it cranked-up and loud, I'll put a coated Ambassador on it. When I want super-low Don Henley, I'll put on a coated PowerStroke 4 head. It's funny when people hear it, and think I have some 8" phat wood snare, then see my Supra.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I hate to sound "anti-marketing-hype", but a few years ago I took a Ludwig wood snare that came with standard 2.3mm triple-flanged hoops, and did an A-B comparison with a pair of Yamaha's wood hoops.

I discovered no difference. Although it did look really cool.

I'm now convinced if you want to change your tone, do it with heads. I can take my 6.5" Supraphonic, and if I want it cranked-up and loud, I'll put a coated Ambassador on it. When I want super-low Don Henley, I'll put on a coated PowerStroke 4 head. It's funny when people hear it, and think I have some 8" phat wood snare, then see my Supra.
Agree on all points! They look really cool, and I have wood hoops on two snares. The only real difference to me is the cross stick sound, which may or may not suit the music. For other playing (even rim shots) it is better to spend some cash on heads and stuff to put on top of the head, like O rings, dampeners, wallets, napkins etc.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrivarna View Post
Agree on all points! They look really cool, and I have wood hoops on two snares. The only real difference to me is the cross stick sound, which may or may not suit the music.
+1 on cross-stick sound. My two snares are a wood-hooped DW 6.5x14 which even with wound up Heavyweight Evans/Hazy300 still sounds ridiculously fat and a 2ng Gen Pearl FF which is the perpetual opposite. Both generate cross-stick sounds that are favorable IMHO. The wood-wood connection in the right sweet spot place of the stick-to-rim seems to generate a more dominant cross-stick sound between the two.

One thing to note about wood-hoop snares. The diameter is b-i-g. In my case, the internal measurement is 14" but the external measurement is 15+". Finding a snare stand with a basket wide enough to hold it was limiting and a little pricey. There might be three stands I can think of that I found that could hold it. I'd have to look and see what I eventually got (Pearl, I believe), but its basically for that snare exclusively. Second thing was rim-mounted mics don't exactly snap on like those designed for metal hoops with flared edges to grab onto.

Just some considerations.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post

One thing to note about wood-hoop snares. The diameter is b-i-g. In my case, the internal measurement is 14" but the external measurement is 15+". Finding a snare stand with a basket wide enough to hold it was limiting and a little pricey. There might be three stands I can think of that I found that could hold it. I'd have to look and see what I eventually got (Pearl, I believe), but its basically for that snare exclusively. Second thing was rim-mounted mics don't exactly snap on like those designed for metal hoops with flared edges to grab onto.

Just some considerations.
Good point about the mics. I have a Gibraltar wood hoop on the top rim only of my Black Beauty, so the stand problem is not an issue there. I recommend only doing wood hoops on the batter side, anyway, for that reason.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

I think that the dollar-to-sound ratio probably isn't worth the cost. Looks is another thing entirely.

If you like the look and the vibe, go for it.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM

Update to my earlier post:

I did get Craviotto wood hoops for my walnut snare and after several gigs where I've played lots of rim shots, I really see no damage. They are certainly more durable than I thought the'd be.

I LOVE the cross stick sound. Dark and meaty. The only think I don't like is how I can occasionally hit a claw instead of the rim. Probably a non-issue on 8 lug snares. For that reason, the Yamaha hoops might be a better option. I don't like the look of them as much, though.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

According to Andy, all wood hoops aren't created equal. For instance, a 19 ply yamaha wood hoop won't resonate like a solid segmented hoop.

I really dig the wood hoops on toms, but for snares, give me metal hoops. I say this after listening to recordings of the same drum outfitted with both segmented and triple flange hoops and comparing. The wood hoops mellow the snare to my ear. Not a bad thing, but not what I'm after. Perhaps on a metal snare, wood hoops may be interesting. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning experimenting with wood hoops on metal snares here.

(Cue the person who locates these things)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
According to Andy, all wood hoops aren't created equal. )
What has happened to Andy? He never seems to chime in or post anymore.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 AM
Silver Member

Actually Taye makes an aluminum shelled drum with wood hoops. The thing sounds great. I did an A/B comparison between two of these drums, one with the wood hoops and one with 2.3 triple flanged steel hoops. The snare with wood hoops did sound a little fatter and the cross stick was heavenly but the steel hooped drum cut through better and had a little more ring. I kinda preferred the metal hooped one for rock but I'd take either one in a second. Neither hoop sounded different when brushes were used. I don't know why that is. I think Bermuda mentioned the wood hooped Taye and I seem to remember that he liked it.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't recall anyone ever mentioning experimenting with wood hoops on metal snares here.
I have, and I stand by my previous comment that the cross stick sound is the only noticeable difference. I have an alu 6x14 with ply wood hoops (claws) and have also tried segment hoops on my 5x14 CoB.

Great cross stick, cool looks, but worth the money? Nah...