Thoughts on Yamaha pedals...?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
So I have been playing DW 5000's for almost 20 years, In the last year I stepped up to the 9000's but really haven't been happy with them. I found myself this past week going back to the 5's. Now at namm I was looking at Yamaha's gear, and being a Yamaha artist I figured I should pick up a set of theirs. I'm looking at the DFP9500C's http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/hardware/footpedals/dfp9500c/?mode=model

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the DW pedals I have been using?

I played around with those one time, to me they felt really sluggish. I wouldn't decide on pedals just because you also play their drums, I played pearl pedals on tama kit forever, so I would say give the 9000s atleast 6 months and if you still aren't happy try all the pedals in your local music store. The iron/speed cobra to me is like all the good in the 5000/9000 and more, maybe try those?

I am thinking of getting a better double pedal and so I have been taking note, for about a year of what pedals the bands I watch are using.
Sometimes you can't identify it but of the ones I have recognised the 5000 seems to be much more common than the 9000. There must be a reason for that and it can't be just cost.

I love my Yamaha pedals (two FDDD's). Fell in love with the pedal as soon as I put my foot on one (at a NAMM show, a few years ago.​
At the time, I had a DW 5000 A3 .... and I bought and brought into my studio a Yamaha FDDD. Did a little personal shoot-out, A/B'ing both pedals, for about a month ... and the Yamaha won. Sold the DW on eBay, and bought a second Yamaha pedal. Yamaha got more than just my praise, they got my money.​
And I, too ... didn't care for the 9000. If someone was to give me one, I'd sell it and buy me a 5000.​

I have 3 of the previous gen Flying Dragon pedals, a chain double and 2 direct drive singles. I prefer the chains btw.To me they have the most comfortable heel plate and footboard, very smooth, well built. I bought the double pedal used and I've never done any maintenance on it.

I have owned the 9000, Cobras (both Iron and Speed), asd I went back to the Yammies every time. The only bad thing I can say is that the Yamaha connecting rod is very average. Mine has a ton of lag, the u joints have developed surface rust. But I suppose that's not entirely their fault, and the DW rod isnt all that great either.

Yamaha has been making great pedals for a long time now, may pros have used tem over the years. They are every bit as good as the DWs or Iron Cobras in my opinion. And Yamaha now offers a longboard too, the 8500c, I would really like to get my feet on that.

i have been playing yamaha pedals since around '88 (belt drive 7 series). just a very natural feel, light & fast. over the years i have tried DW 2005 / 2007s (got that first 2002? double pedal when it came out in the 80s), pearls (eliminator & the older one before that). i always come back to yamaha for the feel.

about a year a go i went on a single pedal hunt & tried everything. sometimes the way music stores set up the pedals would turn me off w/ ridiculous spring tension or odd beater position, etc. anyhow tried iron cobras, 2005, 2007 & 2009. pearls didnt feel right. i went with the yamaha FP-8500B belt drive. sick pedal. fast, light & great feel. later paired it up w/ the HS1200 3-legger, easily the best hi-hat pedal i have ever played.

i do like the 2009 but it is a lot of mass to move & didn't have enough rock gigs to justify the $$$.

I play yamaha 9500d, same as you linked but the direct drive version, and they have been nothing but superb so far, so I can only assume the chain ones are great pedals too.

I have written in a few threads regarding yamaha 9500 pedals, if you search you'll probably find more info.

Im using the direct drives , both a double and a single. Although im more of a weekend warrior then a professional . These pedals are great , good solid feel and a tonne of adjustments that you tweek to get it just right.

Like any pedal there was an adjustment period to get things dialed in just so. I haven't really had to tweek anything major over the years.

The best thing about these pedals the quality is there, and they are more affordable then some of the others.

I would love to own some DW Gear but cant justify it with the amount of gigging I do.

Well that my double stroke rolls worth.

Have fun on your quest

Last edited:
Back