Primary and spare separated by 35 years

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Attached is a picture of my primary bass drum pedal and my spare one. I keep forgetting how long I've been doing this and have come to realize that these two pedals are separated by 35 years of technological advances. Suffice to say, I've adjusted both of them to feel pretty close to the same. Having the plate on the Iron Cobra definitely makes it feel heftier under the foot, but not less fast. In fact, the new Iron Cobra's come with this opposition spring under the pedal plate to help push the plate back up against your foot (a negligible feeling, but there). So to make the Iron Cobra more match the 35 year old Flexi-Flyer, I took it off and now they almost feel identical. I do use DW beaters - I just got used to those for some reason over the years - the Iron Cobra comes with this rod you can change the beater heads out on, cool idea, but unnecessary.

Like Jojo Mayer, I've re-discovered the strap linkage (as opposed to using a chain or a direct connection like the Axis or Trick). And my foot has been feeling more at home with both of these than when I played a chain drive. Although I started out with a Ludwig Speed King back in 1975, and can play those pedals too, the strap feels better to me.

Can you guess which one is the spare?

Attachments

• pedals-web.jpg
    pedals-web.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 703
The IC looks like it's too new, so the FF is the primary. Wait. reverse that. The IC beater looks dirtier. The IC is the primary. One of those statements is right. Unless it's a trick question. OK the Trick is your primary.

The IC looks like it's too new, so the FF is the primary. Wait. reverse that. The IC beater looks dirtier. The IC is the primary. One of those statements is right. Unless it's a trick question. OK the Trick is your primary.

Yeah Larry, this is all a trick. I actually don't use either and actually use an Axis A all the time ;)

Right.

Yeah Larry, this is all a trick. I actually don't use either and actually use an Axis A all the time ;)

Right.

Now I can't believe a word you type. Why do you toy with us so?

Haha. They're both made by Tama - or perhaps you knew that already ;)

hehe, but seriously, i think i remember you saying that you'd recently pulled out the Flexi-Flyer and were digging it, so i'll say the Flexi. and add that the adjustments to the IC were an attempt to make it more Flexi-able. further...realising that you can't improve on perfection, you went with the Flexi - but...realising that the Flexi is such a priceless heirloom, you now only bring it out for studio dates and extra-special occasions.

: )

yes ?

hehe, but seriously, i think i remember you saying that you'd recently pulled out the Flexi-Flyer and were digging it, so i'll say the Flexi. and add that the adjustments to the IC were an attempt to make it more Flexi-able. further...realising that you can't improve on perfection, you went with the Flexi - but...realising that the Flexi is such a priceless heirloom, you now only bring it out for studio dates and extra-special occasions.

: )

yes ?

Perhaps. That means every time I play it's a special ocassion ;)

Like Jojo Mayer, I've re-discovered the strap linkage (as opposed to using a chain or a direct connection like the Axis or Trick). And my foot has been feeling more at home with both of these than when I played a chain drive. Although I started out with a Ludwig Speed King back in 1975, and can play those pedals too, the strap feels better to me.

Ditto for me, after 28 years of chain driven pedals, I'm back at playing with a strap linkage, I love it, somehow more direct than chain, but less direct then direct drive, if it makes any sense :)

Can you guess which one is the spare?

The Flexi-flyer is the spare... reason: The IC is more easy to attach to the BD hoop.

Do I got it right?

Ditto for me, after 28 years of chain driven pedals, I'm back at playing with a strap linkage, I love it, somehow more direct than chain, but less direct then direct drive, if it makes any sense :)

The Flexi-flyer is the spare... reason: The IC is more easy to attach to the BD hoop.

Do I got it right?

OK, I confess, the spare is actually the Iron Cobra. The Flexi Flyer feels just a tad bit nicer because it's a bit lighter under the foot, but the Iron Cobra has been adjusted to feel really close to it - but at the same time it feels different because of that plate on the bottom - it really stiffens everything up (for the better).

However, depending on the application, the Iron Cobra could be the primary, especially if I show up somewhere where the floor isn't exactly flat or otherwise questionable. I'm just happy I got them both to feel close so it's not such a freak out if my spare was a chain drive or something else.

In addition to carrying the spare pedal (whichever one that could be), since I now have two 13" snares, I carry both to have a spare too. Care to guess which one of those is the primary?

;)

In addition to carrying the spare pedal (whichever one that could be), since I now have two 13" snares, I carry both to have a spare too. Care to guess which one of those is the primary?

;)

the other one ?

Back