Papa Jo Jones and Max Roach-BBC Jazz Libraries

Man those are awesome!!!!. I don't know how to say it-but I always love the way PaPa Jones played-he was a joyous drummer is the best description I can muster. Max was incredible in his own right but his playing seemed more intelligent, scientific, sophisticated/elegant I don't know that isn't the descriptive word I am looking for??? but I'd classify Elvin Jones (and some others) the same though both very different which makes it harder to find the word (because it really isn't a style or genre). But Papa as a Joyous Drummer well that's him.

Been listening to Saxophone Colossus and Max Roach is just wonderful. His playing mirrors the image I have of him. Elegant, precise, and with much to say, that needs to be heard. Looking forward to checking out more of his work. Hey, better late than never...

Been listening to Saxophone Colossus and Max Roach is just wonderful. His playing mirrors the image I have of him. Elegant, precise, and with much to say, that needs to be heard. Looking forward to checking out more of his work. Hey, better late than never...

check out the Clifford Brown records

some of his best work in my opinion

Special mention to Max Roach indeed not only as player, as well as composer one of the greatest drummin' albums are under his name.

Might others have the technique, but Max was solid on composition and groove.

Back