Alternative to Gretsch Renown Kit

Lennytoons

I bought a Gretsch Renown Maple kit recently that I really love. I'm looking for a second shell set that would be very different in sound from the Renowns. I'm considering the Tama Starclassic B/B, Pearl Reference, Ludwig Keystones and Yamaha Recording Customs. Problem is, where I live it's nearly impossible to find these kits to play. The Gretsch Renowns are full and sound great. I'm just looking for an alternative with a little more punch and bottom end. I'd like to narrow down the choices and then figure out a way to play them. Any input is appreciated.

The punch and bottom end can be found in any kit just by using different heads. If you want an alternative, try getting a kit with different sizes, or even with concert toms. That will be more of a change.

My Renowns are 8, 10, 12, 14 and 22. You may want to try something like 13, 16, 18 floor and a 24 inch bass drum.

Gretsch kits have a very different sound due to their 30 degree bearing edge, so most any kit with 45 degree edges should sound quite a bit different.

If you want something with a lower fundamental, a Tama B/B kit would work. Mapex Saturns will give that same flavor. Recording Customs are very nice, but have unfortunately become discontinued (a problem if you want new). You could probably get 95% of the sound from a Stage Custom though. Pretty much any Pearl kit would sound different from the Gretsch. I dont know anything about what Ludwig puts out these days. I don't even know what type of drummer they are trying to market to.

Or you could throw all this out the window and buy an acrylic kit. That will sound very different.

I bought a Gretsch Renown Maple kit recently that I really love. I'm looking for a second shell set that would be very different in sound from the Renowns. I'm considering the Tama Starclassic B/B, Pearl Reference, Ludwig Keystones and Yamaha Recording Customs. Problem is, where I live it's nearly impossible to find these kits to play. The Gretsch Renowns are full and sound great. I'm just looking for an alternative with a little more punch and bottom end. I'd like to narrow down the choices and then figure out a way to play them. Any input is appreciated.

I would buy different heads, top and bottom. Buy a few sets of different heads, it'll change the sound of the RENOWNS, you'll probably be surprised.

Not knowing your situation, my opinion is spend the money on other things you may need.

I would buy different heads, top and bottom. Buy a few sets of different heads, it'll change the sound of the RENOWNS, you'll probably be surprised.

Not knowing your situation, my opinion is spend the money on other things you may need.

Totally agree with Les, I had this experience with my Renowns after trying Aquarian Super II's with the Gretsch stock reso's to clear Emperor's with the same reso's, then to Ebony ambassador's as reso's. That last combo produces serious punch and tone, plus I tuned to slightly lower frequencies with this combo to get that sound (283 for an 8", 238 for a 10", and etc.). before that, the 10" was choking and the 8" had no decay.

Also, try experimenting with some used heads (not beaten up), before you sink money into it.

Gretsch kits have a very different sound due to their 30 degree bearing edge, so most any kit with 45 degree edges should sound quite a bit different.

30 degree edges with a sharp peak aren't that much different from 45s. I'd call it minimal at best. The Silver Sealer has more of an appreciable effect, in my experience.

Anyways, I agree with the heads and tuning advice. Try some clear Vintage Emperors (or regular Emperors, G2s, or Response-IIs) and maybe take both heads down a little bit.

I have a Renown kit and have played Ludwig Keystones and I loved them. There was a killer red strata kit at my local shop for $1,200 new that I can kick myself for not buying last year. My vote is for Ludwigs.

Thanks so much for the replies. I switched out the stock Evans G2 heads for EC2s and new G1s for resos. It took a lot of ring out of the drums and gave me more of what I'm looking for. I really want to try the Aquarian heads to see how they change the sound. I've also ordered some gaffing tape to make some tonal adjustments. As for where to spend my extra money I bought a Canopus "The Maple" snare which has a great woody sound. My main snare is the Gretsch COB G4160 and I've tuned it where it snaps quite a bit. I found a shop with DW Collectors that I'm going to play next week to get the ball rolling. My cymbals are mainly A customs with an AAX splash and AAX crash. The 16" A custom crash was oddly atonal compared to the other Zildjians I've got. Also shopping for some different cymbals. So many choices, so little time....

Ah, okay. The Response-IIs are identical in construction (basically) to G2s, so I would try their Super-2s, or if you want you could also try some G14s on your floor toms and G12s on your rack toms :) I love those heads on the drums I've tried them on.

I have the Remo Vintage Coated Emperor’s on my Cat Maples and my new Renown’s have Evans G2’s. The Remo head is a more mellow sound and the Evans has a little more bright sound. I believe the coating makes this difference. When I buy new heads for the Renown kit it will be the Emp’s I go with. I will say this, the Renown’s speak with volume. Both are great drums.

The head changes made a big difference in the sound of the Renowns. The Evans EC2 heads gave me the punch and low end I was looking for but stick articulation isn't what it was with the G2s. I just put on a set of Aquarian coated Studio X heads on top and classic clears on the bottoms and I really love them. I only had to use a bit of gaffer's tape on the floor tom to get rid of a bit of ring but they are still loud and have just the right amount of sustain. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ludwig Classic Maples as my next set of shells. I love the white marine pearl finish and Ludwig does have their own signature sound. I played two Tama kits at GC and wasn't impressed. Does anybody have Renowns and Gretch USA customs? I can't find a set to play and wonder if there is that much difference between them.

The Gretsch USA Customs and Renowns sound too similar to be considered alternatives soundwise, unless of course the sizes are very different. The Brooklyns have a more open sound, but I think a lot of that is due to the 302 hoops instead of the diecasts.
What are you using each kit for (type of music, live, studio, etc), and what sizes do you have and what are you considering? That may help with the recommendations.

Back