DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-16-2018, 07:35 PM

Default Vented snares on open air..

Hi , how the vented snares react on the open air?
And second , more ply means more volume and less resonant ?
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vented snares on open air..

You might want to expand more on the first question, but there's a good video demonstrating the effects of three significant levels of muffling on the same drum already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQV07UdJtwk He cuts parts of the shell out of a drum and demonstrates each. My conclusion is that as venting amount increases, you get a more diffuse snare sound and wilder overtones.

Second question, less resonant surely. Actually, more plies & thickness is sort of kind of like the opposite of venting - more focus and 'crack'y character. But I'm not sure I'd say there's an innate volume difference that's super noticeable.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
You might want to expand more on the first question, but there's a good video demonstrating the effects of three significant levels of muffling on the same drum already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQV07UdJtwk He cuts parts of the shell out of a drum and demonstrates each. My conclusion is that as venting amount increases, you get a more diffuse snare sound and wilder overtones.

Second question, less resonant surely. Actually, more plies & thickness is sort of kind of like the opposite of venting - more focus and 'crack'y character. But I'm not sure I'd say there's an innate volume difference that's super noticeable.
Thank you for the great answer , i just love Jay Weinberg 's snare sound on slipknot specially here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofh_qP7icxQ ,
he is using 14x6 48 ply maple 4 vent snare , snare sound reminds me the slipknots iowa album snare sound i really like it thats why im open the subject. I have a joey jordison snare but when i crank it volume is going lower , no resonant , no overtone. I have a pearl masters mcx 14x5.5 sound better than jj when i crank it up to me.
Im thinking buy jays snare is there any volume diffrence with joey jordison snare?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, that's a cranked snare... It has a lot of focus for sure though. If you currently have the 13" Jordison snare I could imagine that sounding a little thin at high tunings since it's only 13 inches. Bigger snares are probably better for what you're going for. Also important is hoops - if you have the Jordison 13" snare, I think that has triple flanged hoops on it. Die Cast hoops are much heavier and will probably get you more of the sound you're looking for too. Just don't crank it TOO much, or you might start choking the sound & perhaps getting less volume like you said. Personally, I might recommend you get one of the Tama Metalworks snares they made with die-cast hoops in the last couple of years. Great value on those.