DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Opinions on Pearl Decade Maple 13-16-24

I’m looking at a great deal on a used Pearl Decade Maple kit in the sizes listed above. I’m intrigued at the thought of adding this kit to complement my 12-14-20 kit for certain situations (plus my wife says I look a little silly playing the smaller drums lol). REALLY intrigued at the potential low end combined with the punch from the shorter depth (never owned a 24 before, and have only played one a few times over the years). All kidding aside, I’ve wanted a kit in these sizes for quite some time. I know GetAgrippa has one of these kits; hopefully he’ll chime in. Would like some feedback from anyone that has any experience with this line of drums.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Opinions on Pearl Decade Maple 13-16-24

The kick sounds amazing, loud and fat.

But the toms are... not easy to get to sound good (mine cane with coated G2s which I replaced with clear Emperors and that helped a lot). 13" toms are often more challenging, but I don't think I ever got a good sound out of that one. The floor tom was the big let down, 6 lugs on a 16" is a joke, and the hoops are so thin you could hear the pitch changing in between two lugs. Whenever I managed to get it sounding decent, a couple good hits would throw it off in no time.

I got tired and dumped it... the kick was the bomb though
Old 09-04-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickSound View Post
The kick sounds amazing, loud and fat.

But the toms are... not easy to get to sound good (mine cane with coated G2s which I replaced with clear Emperors and that helped a lot). 13" toms are often more challenging, but I don't think I ever got a good sound out of that one. The floor tom was the big let down, 6 lugs on a 16" is a joke, and the hoops are so thin you could hear the pitch changing in between two lugs. Whenever I managed to get it sounding decent, a couple good hits would throw it off in no time.

I got tired and dumped it... the kick was the bomb though
Hi Snick, thanks for responding. Yeah, I should have just cut to the chase, the floor tom is what I was most curious about. 6 lugs with thin hoops on a drum that size is puzzling. My initial thought was, no big deal, Iíll get some 2.3 mm hoops for it. Problem is, after a short bit of searching online, I havenít seen any 2.3 hoops in that size with 6 lugs. Donít think Pearl even makes them. Might be a deal breaker.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
Hi Snick, thanks for responding. Yeah, I should have just cut to the chase, the floor tom is what I was most curious about. 6 lugs with thin hoops on a drum that size is puzzling. My initial thought was, no big deal, Iíll get some 2.3 mm hoops for it. Problem is, after a short bit of searching online, I havenít seen any 2.3 hoops in that size with 6 lugs. Donít think Pearl even makes them. Might be a deal breaker.
I went through the same thought process. I believe I found ONE website that had 6 lugs 16" hoops in 2.3mm but shipping to Canada was prohibitive. Just got tired if fighting this thing and sold it. Replaced with an old Ludwig Accent CS Custom Elite which put some money back in my pockets and I'm loving this kit (and 8 lugs on the 16"). Not a 24" though.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Did you try Drum Factory Direct?
Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Did you try Drum Factory Direct?
Not until you mentioned them, but they have them! No idea why they didnít come up on a google search; thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

I get the $559 price tag for those drums, but upon initial inspection when they debuted at NAMM, I wasn't sure what I was looking at. As a second kit, sure. You're gonna throw them around and drag them into questionable venues, then it's a good value. But I also didn't dig the six-lugged floor toms, and I"m not a big fan of the thinner bass drum spurs.

If you have a little bit more money, there's a seller on eBay who's a Pearl dealer, and he's blowing out the discontinued Studio Session Classic (SSC) kits. He has a couple of kits with 24" bass drums. Those drums are a major step-up, and they're being sold cheap because they're discontinued. Heck, Pearl itself is blowing out discontinued kits on Reverb through the vendor name "Pearl Select". They have their Masters kits all selling in the sub-$1000 range. Check those out.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

I have to agree with Bo. The 6 lugs and thinner shell of 16 in make them real, real finicky to tune (lots of overtones and too much sustain). I was actually fixing to buy a Mapex Meridian but the 13,16, 24 Decade Maple caught my eye. I had one of the first Pearl Visions that was like Reference with varying shell thickness but just used birch and luan mixtures of wood (later were all birch or all maple)-tunes easily sounds great-gave it to my son-in-law. I was wanting to buy a maple kit (which I'm not sure what kind of maple the Pearl is) and I wanted to try the bigger shallower kick offered in the 24 in. So I bought it-I didn't want to spend a lot of money and figured if I don't like I'll sell it and my loss wouldn't be too bad. I actually thought about selling it and maybe buying a Yamaha Stage custom but I'm just keeping it for now. . Though my curiosity of the 24 in is now filled and it sounds great but I wish I had bought a 20-18 in kick shell pack LOL. The shell pack doesn't come with a snare and I have no idea what the decade snare sounds like? Really all of them in this class will tune up and play fine.

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 09-05-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I have to agree with Bo. The 6 lugs and thinner shell of 16 in make them real, real finicky to tune (lots of overtones and too much sustain). I was actually fixing to buy a Mapex Meridian but the 13,16, 24 Decade Maple caught my eye. I had one of the first Pearl Visions that was like Reference with varying shell thickness but just used birch and luan mixtures of wood (later were all birch or all maple)-tunes easily sounds great-gave it to my son-in-law. I was wanting to buy a maple kit (which I'm not sure what kind of maple the Pearl is) and I wanted to try the bigger shallower kick offered in the 24 in. So I bought it-I didn't want to spend a lot of money and figured if I don't like I'll sell it and my loss wouldn't be too bad. I actually thought about selling it and maybe buying a Yamaha Stage custom but I'm just keeping it for now. . Though my curiosity of the 24 in is now filled and it sounds great but I wish I had bought a 20-18 in kick shell pack LOL. The shell pack doesn't come with a snare and I have no idea what the decade snare sounds like? Really all of them in this class will tune up and play fine.
Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on installing thicker hoops on that floor tom? Think that would help with the issues you described? Thanks to Larry, I found 6 lug 2.3 mm hoops for cheap. I guess Iím looking for someone to talk me out of it. My thought process was to get this kit (never owned a 24Ē, and havenít owned a 13Ē in 20 years), see if f I like the sizes, and perhaps upgrade in a year or so based on how much I like those sizes. Iím such a tightwad; I like to evaluate cheap used gear and upgrade if I like it, always afraid to take a chance and spend.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
Thanks for the input. What are your thoughts on installing thicker hoops on that floor tom? Think that would help with the issues you described? Thanks to Larry, I found 6 lug 2.3 mm hoops for cheap. I guess Iím looking for someone to talk me out of it. My thought process was to get this kit (never owned a 24Ē, and havenít owned a 13Ē in 20 years), see if f I like the sizes, and perhaps upgrade in a year or so based on how much I like those sizes. Iím such a tightwad; I like to evaluate cheap used gear and upgrade if I like it, always afraid to take a chance and spend.
You can likely recoup your investment, Gish. Get 'em.

GeeDeeEmm