DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default DW "Pure" Maple/Birch/Oak/Cherry kit comparison vid

Saw this today on Youtube, nicely done comparison I think. Not easy to skip around simply but a pleasing lack of heavy processing. I really enjoy the Cherry and Maple, personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVY4bJaCc58
Old 06-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: DW "Pure" Maple/Birch/Oak/Cherry kit comparison vid

Thanks for the link. I'll enjoy watching this tonight!
Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 AM

Imagine being the manufacturer having those 4 kits in stock, all the time. It must cost a fortune to have all this gear, and so much more on hand.
The two guys were careful not to pick a favourite, but I'm guessing they couldn,t if they wanted to. If you listened to that video blindfolded...there would be no way to tell.
So, back to us consumers; Unless you can process sound in some super human way, I think that proves that any well made drum[s] will fulfil your needs for life, or, until you become so famous you can tell your endorser exactly what you want, because they are going to the bank as long as you are on top, and, well...still famous!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

Can someone please explain why DW doesn't do steambent drumsets like their steambent snares? They've already got that big machine they use. Seems wasteful to not try a few drumsets. Especially if they're going to do comparison vids like this--the individual woods would be easier to discern if they were single-ply.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Remarkable sound from all 4 kits. Until I watched this, Maple and Cherry shells were for the most part, my two long-standing faves, but listening to the Birch, definitely heightened my interest.

I'm with you, Andy, way too much back and forth banter between the two guys.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Gold Member

The video would have worked well if they played the kit then commented on the sound between clips. Too much talking over the clips and I don't think their comments were that useful in describing the characteristics of each kit.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM

I agree birch stood out, even a little...That surprised me.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
The video would have worked well if they played the kit then commented on the sound between clips. Too much talking over the clips and I don't think their comments were that useful in describing the characteristics of each kit.
Yeah, I couldn't watch all of it because of all the unnecessary commentary.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

So much effort are made to spoil an interesting test ! Insane talking all the time.
What I have heard, I'm sorry to say, they all sound really perfect, I wouldn't be able to say which is which in a blind test.

I'm wondering if the constant talking, which tend to justify the different woods, isn't there to hide the fact that all those drumkits sounds almost the same.
Though birch stands out of the mix. Definately.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

If.
Imagine what a good video it might be if those two chatterboxes could close their flaps without reiterating all the standard descriptions of wood.

Even better, imagine if they used only one accurate, reference measurement mic.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM
JohnoWorld

Thanks for the link

Perhaps the reason they were talking over it was that there was no discernible difference between the kits at all, apart from the birch which had a bit more top end. There is also definitely some compression there too, whether it's the compressed music file to listen online or within the room but the toms sound compressed to me

In my opinion, overall none of them sounded particularly good/bad. Just sound like average drums, not top end highly priced drums

DW, it's all about the marketing (and yes I've owned a maple and a birch collectors)
Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Remarkable sound from all 4 kits. Until I watched this, Maple and Cherry shells were for the most part, my two long-standing faves, but listening to the Birch, definitely heightened my interest.

I'm with you, Andy, way too much back and forth banter between the two guys.
Stroker, if you liked the birch DW then by all means go to the store and try them out next to a new Recording, you never know.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

This video was actually pretty comical. They go to all this trouble, time and expense to execute a "true A/B" DW demonstration.....and then do nothing but talk all over the drum sounds...lol! Funny stuff right there! :D

Thankfully I already have heard the sonic differences between these wood types. So I already knew what to listen for. Even though (from concentrating very hard and listening in between the talking) I could hear the slight, sonic differences between the woods, this video would not be my go to source to hear them.

My sonic preference used to be Maple but over the last few months of playing and listening to different wood types, my favorite woods now are Oak and Birch...with Oak getting the slight nod. After having an opportunity to A/B DW and Yamaha. Sonically I preferred the Yamaha. With the DW Oak price being about double to the Yamaha Oak. I could buy the Yamaha and still have enough money left over for a new set of cymbals. Win, win! :)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
DW used to offer steam bent single ply snares years ago, using shells built by JC, but not now for many years to the best of my knowledge. If you're referring to the super solid snares, they're not steam bent in the traditional sense, although the boards do start their process in a pressurised steamer (autoclave). The boards are then further processed using massive longitudinal compression to sever the cellular bonds, enabling them to be cold bent without splitting of the outer layers, & compression damage to the inner layers. Once completed, the very cellular structure is altered. I have no idea what effect that may have in terms of maintaining the sonic characteristics of the individual species, but changes are highly likely. The shells are supplied to DW by Pure Timber LLC in Washington.

Additional to your observation, to enhance any meaningful species sonic differences in this process, the shells would need to be much thinner than currently offered. Also, I'm assuming the CNC mill used to machine the shells is of finite size capacity, so may not be able to handle bass drum & floor tom sizes.
Nothing like getting a little inside scoop from a pro himself. Good read, Andy, most interesting.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
1:30 - of course, I might possibly have a comment to make. I think they'll find someone else was doing this 5 years earlier ;) Nice to see it catching on - eventually.

Although I like what they've done, & I can hear differences, having two guys continually converse across pretty much all the sample footage, is extremely annoying, & kind of defeats the whole object of the exercise.
These guys could have learned a thing or two watching your videos, Andy.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Stroker, if you liked the birch DW then by all means go to the store and try them out next to a new Recording, you never know.
TGIF, GE! Indeed, the Birch has my attention.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Wow, talk about ruining a potentially great video with nonstop talking! I thought the point of an A/B comparison was to hear the DIFFERENCES, not hear two chatterboxes yapping endlessly.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Wanted to see spectral graphs and quantitative comparative analysis, instead got to hear chatter about "mellower smack", like listening to potheads describing the difference between indica and sativa.

Overall, I'm glad Porter posted the link, and was entertained.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
If.
Imagine what a good video it might be if those two chatterboxes could close their flaps without reiterating all the standard descriptions of wood.

Even better, imagine if they used only one accurate, reference measurement mic.
+1

I think this video is pretty inanely produced. You can't turn up the volume to really listen to the drums on phones because then your eardrums will fry whenever the dialog drops in.

But it doesn't seem like DW wants us to listen and make our own conclusions about the sonic differences anyway, we're really just supposed to take these guys' word for it...

Great visuals though!

Edit: Can't agree about the measurement mic though (unless used for reading numbers). That's not going to represent how anyone would expect drums to sound neither in a real room nor on record. Stereo room array or close/overhead/room mix please!

Last edited by VitalTransformation; 06-17-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 PM

I hope the video shows players who might have been expecting wider variations between the woods, that there just aren,t any. I'm sure the marketing boys at DW would not be pleased to see this demonstration, unless they [DW] approved it, which would be quite shocking.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonormapex View Post
I'm sure the marketing boys at DW would not be pleased to see this demonstration, unless they [DW] approved it, which would be quite shocking.
The video is obviously an official DW release!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:08 AM

I felt compelled to comment on the YouTube video yesterday. I could barely tell the difference, but more to the point, I would have taken all four kits and tuned them higher to bring out the musical differences more, and taken the muffling out of the bass drum. Those four bass drums cost thousands and they made them sound like any other bass drum.

But then again, I like smaller shells than most customers, and I like to tune higher and hear a longer note. My favorite DW is the least expensive one, the Mini-Pro! It just sounds better to me.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

The non-stop talking is really annoying. But the differences between woods could still be heard (almost a miracle, isn't it?). When you play with a band, nobody will hear or care about it wether you play maple or birch or oak or cherry. They all sound good. So from that point of view, such a video is rather pointless.

Still, the birch-drumset sounded a tad better than the others IMO, especially the bassdrum. But I expected that.

Birch is - for me - still the go-to wood for drumsets, despite all the "maple-hype". Great lows, a tad more presence and sound-depth and an overall more "rounded tone" IMO. Thus I'll continue playing birch(/bubinga) drumsets. But all the other woods (and a few more) are also really nice. Can't go wrong with any of those.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post

Birch is - for me - still the go-to wood for drumsets, despite all the "maple-hype". Great lows, a tad more presence and sound-depth and an overall more "rounded tone" IMO. Thus I'll continue playing birch(/bubinga) drumsets. But all the other woods (and a few more) are also really nice. Can't go wrong with any of those.
Oak was my favorite (listening on soft volume mind you)!
Old 06-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

If anybody cares too, sending the link of this thread to DW would prob get them to re-edit that vid.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

DW has announced that a dialogue-free vid is forthcoming, per their original plan. They just wanted to get the present vid out first.

As for how those Super Solid snares sound, I ordered a Super Solid Edge a few years ago. Stiff and dead sounding. Awful drum. I was thrilled to find a buyer and only take a $300 loss. Strangely, the buyer's assessment was the same as mine but it looked great so he bought it. I own a couple terrific-sounding DW snares but that Super Solid wasn't one of them.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
The non-stop talking is really annoying. But the differences between woods could still be heard (almost a miracle, isn't it?). When you play with a band, nobody will hear or care about it wether you play maple or birch or oak or cherry. They all sound good. So from that point of view, such a video is rather pointless.

Still, the birch-drumset sounded a tad better than the others IMO, especially the bassdrum. But I expected that.

What's your take on the Hybrids DW offers, WD? Until I heard this video, I never considered a Birch shelled kit, but Birch is sitting high on my list now. For the longest time I was steering towards a Maple/Mahogany shelled kit, then Maple, but I now believe Birch has them all beat.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Is everyone seeing the outline of the state of Michigan in the lower right corner where they show the wood species, or is that some local thing they're only showing people who live here?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Is everyone seeing the outline of the state of Michigan in the lower right corner where they show the wood species, or is that some local thing they're only showing people who live here?
It's visible here. I believe they harvest their lumber from the Upper Peninsula, (Northern Wisconsin and Indiana too) - I remember JG discussing on a vid a while back.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder 42 View Post
It's visible here. I believe they harvest their lumber from the Upper Peninsula, (Northern Wisconsin and Indiana too) - I remember JG discussing on a vid a while back.
Thanks. I figured as much, but when all four wood species featured it, I wondered. We have a lot of maple trees here, but I wasn't aware they got all the others as well.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
What's your take on the Hybrids DW offers, WD? Until I heard this video, I never considered a Birch shelled kit, but Birch is sitting high on my list now. For the longest time I was steering towards a Maple/Mahogany shelled kit, then Maple, but I now believe Birch has them all beat.
To me, maple/mahogany offers the worst of both worlds : a big false note. Not often do I dislike the genuine sound of a whole kit, the m/m are on my black list. Yuk. They are like a dead sounding, downward pitch-bent drum-builder's nightmare.

I see it like this : it is easier to muffle and kill a livelier drum than try and to revive a puddle of mud.

Sorry guys. The m/m got such a cut when I tried them out they came out of the locker room crying. Heinous sounding drums. The classics were nice, jazz were awesome, oak felt like a million bucks, but m/m eeeuuuuuch.

Disclaimer : not liking the sound of one dw line does not make me a dw hater. Keep calm and love them dws.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
To me, maple/mahogany offers the worst of both worlds : a big false note. Not often do I dislike the genuine sound of a whole kit, the m/m are on my black list. Yuk. They are like a dead sounding, downward pitch-bent drum-builder's nightmare.

I see it like this : it is easier to muffle and kill a livelier drum than try and to revive a puddle of mud.

Sorry guys. The m/m got such a cut when I tried them out they came out of the locker room crying. Heinous sounding drums. The classics were nice, jazz were awesome, oak felt like a million bucks, but m/m eeeuuuuuch.

Disclaimer : not liking the sound of one dw line does not make me a dw hater. Keep calm and love them dws.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your insight, GE. Many thanks.

I've given myself 3-4 more months to make up my mind as to a drum manufacturer, type of wood for shells, and depth of tom-toms. I'm becoming achingly disenchanted as each day passes where my kit isn't on order, so the time has come for me to refine things to an acceptable point and move on a purchase.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:51 AM
wildbill
This message has been deleted by wildbill.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I've given myself 3-4 more months to make up my mind as to a drum manufacturer, type of wood for shells, and depth of tom-toms. I'm becoming achingly disenchanted as each day passes where my kit isn't on order, so the time has come for me to refine things to an acceptable point and move on a purchase.
Well Aaron Spears and Dave Elitch make them sound nice on youtube, but I did feel that in person they were not very lively, which is a subjective quality I enjoy in drums.

Stock heads, bad tuning that I tried to correct but could not dial in and maybe room sound were factors of course. It disappointed me as I had higher expectations and felt let down.

Had they stock the dw oak kits back then, I think I would have bought one and probably still own it. I do have regrets about not buying a kit I tried out at my lds last summer (24x14, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16 monster in a rich oak natural finish) but I took a rational decision as that kit would have been a nightmare to haul around and I felt it would be great for rock n'roll but not much else. I doubt I will ever found a used one on the market...can't win'em all.

Andy is right though, wood species is one aspect of the finished product and should not necessarily, on its own, influence the whole decision process.

Edit : apologies for my previous post as it was filled with negativity, a road I promised myself never to go down ever again on this forum. Rough week.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Do you have the opportunity to try different drums in person? When I was searching for my drums I was surprised by how my direction changed as I checked out different drums.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Please, don't get too hung up on wood species. It's just one of many elements that contribute to the overall delivery of the instrument, & on most drum constructions, it's not even a significant one. Wood species differences are only pronounced when the rest of the construction allows those differences to feature, & the overall design is focussed towards highlighting them.
Thanks, Andy. These thread topics help keep me focused, and they're a good learning experience.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well Aaron Spears and Dave Elitch make them sound nice on youtube, but I did feel that in person they were not very lively, which is a subjective quality I enjoy in drums.

Stock heads, bad tuning that I tried to correct but could not dial in and maybe room sound were factors of course. It disappointed me as I had higher expectations and felt let down.

Had they stock the dw oak kits back then, I think I would have bought one and probably still own it. I do have regrets about not buying a kit I tried out at my lds last summer (24x14, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16 monster in a rich oak natural finish) but I took a rational decision as that kit would have been a nightmare to haul around and I felt it would be great for rock n'roll but not much else. I doubt I will ever found a used one on the market...can't win'em all.

Andy is right though, wood species is one aspect of the finished product and should not necessarily, on its own, influence the whole decision process.

Edit : apologies for my previous post as it was filled with negativity, a road I promised myself never to go down ever again on this forum. Rough week.
Thanks, GE. No apologies needed, as I didn't take your post as being negative whatsoever. Information is good and I'm always open to hearing everyone and anyone out.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
Do you have the opportunity to try different drums in person? When I was searching for my drums I was surprised by how my direction changed as I checked out different drums.
I do, and late this summer I'm planning on revisiting L&M once again, just prior to finalizing things.

I, too, have experienced many flip-flops as to my initial and original plans. Reflecting upon, there were certain aspects I was convinced I wouldn't budge on, yet here I am 10 months in where my biggest asset is keeping an open mind and embracing all the great advice and direction I'm receiving.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I do, and late this summer I'm planning on revisiting L&M once again, just prior to finalizing things.

I, too, have experienced many flip-flops as to my initial and original plans. Reflecting upon, there were certain aspects I was convinced I wouldn't budge on, yet here I am 10 months in where my biggest asset is keeping an open mind and embracing all the great advice and direction I'm receiving.
Gordon, have you ever considered a trip down the coast to Oxnard? You may never leave - a little taste here: https://youtu.be/UDKUhakxn0A
Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder 42 View Post
Gordon, have you ever considered a trip down the coast to Oxnard? You may never leave - a little taste here: https://youtu.be/UDKUhakxn0A
Many thanks, Doug. May never leave is right! Man! Up next, Candyland IV!
Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
What's your take on the Hybrids DW offers, WD?
None, to be honest. 'Cause I don't play DW (I hate their hardware-design). I play Tama since many years.
Quote:
Until I heard this video, I never considered a Birch shelled kit, but Birch is sitting high on my list now.
As others said, don't overestimate it. If you are an "old fart", that has played or owned quite a few drumsets, then you know what you like and what not. But in the audience, nobody will notice, if you're playing maple or birch. Really. (There are even many drummers who cannot hear a difference in the woods. Some others have better (trained) ears and hear those subtle differences.) You should just get what "feels" good to you. In my case, I tested quite a few drums before deciding on which to buy. Good pure birch shells (like the recording custom or almighty birch or ssilverstar) and birch/bubinga-shells sound best (rich tone, very melodical and well rounded) to me. For others, it will be of course something different.