singing and drumming

humphrey

hello folks, i haven't been here in a long time so i don't know if this has come up before. one of the singers in my band left recently so me and the bassist have taken up the responsibility of backing vocals. i like this challenge but one problem i'm having is not just a mental one but a positioning one. has anyone had to change their seating height to accommodate this? i'm no stevie wonder or anything but on a regular table chair with a back rest i find its easier to sing than on a drum stool. perhaps it maybe because my posture isn't perfect on a drum stool as it is on a regular chair or the leg positioning affects the way air goes up from my stomach muscles to my throat or other factors?
i'd very much love to hear peoples experiences and tips with having to adapt to this and any tips.

Hmm. This is tough because I've always had good posture (did a lot of marching back in the day too). Have you thought about getting a backrest on the throne? Those are still pretty popular and at least gives you a reference as to where your back should be.

I like the Roc N Soc bicycle shaped seat because it seems to guide me toward proper posture. Hips are forward, lower back is straight, etc. Also, I've started to position the mic off to my right side (I'm a righty on a righty kit). Not sure why, but it feels better that way, and I tend to play better drums while singing.

For all that, I don't think posture is as important as simply staying relaxed when it comes to vocal technique, especially while drumming. Stick out your belly (seriously!) to get your diaphragm into good position. While doing this, you'll probably find that your legs and arms are doing "more", because your abdomen is busy breathing and singing!

Forgive me if I am wrong but maybe it's not "I find singing harder on a drum stool than a normal chair" rather "I find singing harder whilst I'm playing the drums". Keep in mind that singing and drumming are two of the most air consuming instruments (excluding wind and brass instruments obviously) so putting them together will really test your aerobic system. Posture will play a large part in it as if you do not have proper posture then you can't engage your diaphragm properly and won't have enough air behind notes to make them sound good. So yes play around with posture (the more up right the better) but also maybe start jogging or something to help your aerobic system.
Jackson

I started providing backing vocals recently, and I'm always leaning forward. I'm not burning on the drums when do vocals, it's mostly just grooving, so my mind is definitely more focused on the singing.

My posture is definitely a bit poor when I sing. I usually lean forward, but it's only because I'm not singing very often, and I don't want my vocal mic in my face while I'm playing.

I've noticed Steve Jordan does a lot of backing vocals live, depending on the gig, but he has a back rest. He still seems to be leaning way forward to sing though.

Hope some of this helped..

Back