Lars' drumheads

Although I dont own the "year and a half in the life of" studio DVD and therefore cannot say for sure, you will find you answer there.

You will also notice that the gear used for recording is done on a 'what works best' basis. Although Lars is a Remo/Tama/Zildjian guy, you can clearly see brands like Gretsch and Sabian being used in the studio.

I CAN tell you for sure that up until Black Album (and probably during) Lars was a big advocate of Pinstripes. Having said that, Black Album was a definite turning point in the 'direction' of Metallicas sound, and its quite likely they experimented with different drumheads.

If you are trying to emulate the sound of that album, its important to remember that youre not doing anything 'wrong' if you cant get that sound. Pinstripes arent the same now as they used to be and the whole album is HEAVILY produced rhythmically.

I think in the latest modern drummer it said he was using coated Emporers over clear ambassdors, and i cant remember what for his snare i think it has a dot in the cernter

I think it was a coated CS on snare (which you most likely won't be able to reproduce anyway), Pinstripes on toms, and PowerStroke 3 on kicks.

^ And dont forget the importance of THE ROOM he recorded in, arguably the biggest factor of all!

^ And dont forget the importance of THE ROOM he recorded in, arguably the biggest factor of all!

Especially on this album - the snare sound has a massive room sound component to it in a lot of places (though on stuff like Sad But True the mix varies quite a bit).

That drum sound is a huge product of studio knowledge and a huge budget... but I seem to recall that a Black Beauty was a go-to drum on this album.

as you can see in a year and a half-vid.. he used a bell-brass. and he has stated that he always has. but i thikn he used a vistalite on some songs during the st anger sessions

i recorded nothing else matters in a studio for a project. to get his sound it was mainly to do with EQ's and a load of compressors and modulation effects !! sound almost identical to his stuff!!! the studio technician taught me how to do it

i recorded nothing else matters in a studio for a project. to get his sound it was mainly to do with EQ's and a load of compressors and modulation effects !! sound almost identical to his stuff!!! the studio technician taught me how to do it

Sooo, your saying without technical assistance, you can't tune rack toms like his?

Dude, you got to remember, on the black album, they wouldve had technicians perfecting everything, bit by bit, perfecting it. the only way you could get the same sound is if you micd up ur kit and recorded, mixed it, eq'd it, and fine tuned it :). or unles you had some magical program that did that instantly for you direct from the mics, then you could just play live :)

Back