New Lignum drum (in progress)

Clone285051

New Lignum drums finished !!!

Can I give you 1 more update ? ... I won't promise its the last one :p !

New title ..

<< ALL THINGS UNDERNEATH my LIGNUM :D >>

Today I finally finished work on my setup, regarding positioning and marking everything down onto the carpet. I used to have duct-tape all over my stands and carpet, but for the Lignum drum kit I want it to be as classy as possible :).

In the first place I bought myself a small Brother label printer (25 &#8364;) to mark every stand with its letter code (A-E), every clamp with an extra symbol (A+,B+,D+,D-, ...). With the booms already memory locked, its pretty easy to find out which stand it belongs too.
Floortom legs have a code from 1 to 6 .. and a marking on the drumhead so that the Lignum logo plate is facing outwards ... yeah, I go pretty into detail :D !

For the carpet I had placed wooden blocks for the bas drum spurs and pedal. Only thing to do was to mark the position of the 5 stands .. not with duct-tape ...

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

... yes, directly paint it onto the carpet ! A lot of work, but it just looks so much better ... see for yourself ;) :

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

^ Every place its code and direction responding to the stand-label.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

^ All 5 stands into place (exception for hi-hat and double bass pedal .. the hi-hat stand is to be replaced with a 2-leg version).

IMG_0332.jpg

^ Detail of the added floor tom markings

IMG_0333.jpg

^ And the whole kit :)

gecleandoverheadshot-800.jpg

^ ... much better than that gray duct tape on the carpet from my old kit right ?

Yeah, I'm a freak .. I know ;) !

Cheers

PS ... zoom recordings still coming soon (or later).

ABSOLUTE LAST UPDATE :p ... small recording.

Finally I have a small recording of my Lignum set ... the Yamaha Pockettrack C24 in front of it (mp3 - highest quality).
Zoom-recordings will be in a few weeks I guess.

TOO LISTEN ?? ... CLICK HERE >> http://soundcloud.com/kristof-michiels/demo-lignum-drums-with-yamaha

I will post a new thread in "Your playing" to make myself clear.

By :) !

FINAL UPDATE :) ... my Lignum set is home !!!

And here she is :

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

This is a full setup of all the gear I have, smaller setups will come later. I got everything memory locked to perfection (a few things to do). All gear hanging from just 5 stands .. I think it is amazing. Tama hardware, clamps and stuff is so sturdy .. you can hang a big china up in the air :).

But as impressive as it may look .. the sound from the kit is insanely good !!! I never came across a snare this good, those toms sing "the opera" like nothing, huge sounding floor toms. Heads on toms are (for now) Remo Ambassadors (top) over clear (bottom). Bass drum has Remo PS3 coated vs Ambassador white.

The 24" x 14" bass drum has such a nice low thunder ... it doesn't overpower the set at all. It fits perfectly between toms, snare, floors.

Its really a perfect wedding :) ... (actually its all from the same tree)

What about the 20" bas / floor tom ? ... as a 20" kick I didn't expect it to be so huge in sound. So warm and fat, I think this kick will be useful a lot !

In the floor tom configuration this bas drum is capable of producing a very deep boomy sound ... nothing like a (single headed) gong drum. The resonance is quit amazing (> 9 seconds).

Can you tell I'm a happy man ? :)

I really have to learn how to play this set ... the respons is so direct. For example, if you give those toms a hard hit .. they respond whit a loud clear tone you'd hear a mile away :p.

All my thanks to Gert Breughelmans, a hero in my book !!!

Enjoy the pics, sound files may come later ;).

Cheers guys !

Hello guys :),

I can finally update this threat with new pics of my finished Lignum kit !!!

... YES ... I'm serious !!!

Tomorrow I'm gonna get the kit @ Lignum drums Belgium ... I'm so damn excited :p !!!

Here are some pics Gert Breughelmans allowed me to post (take a breath first) :

Lignumdrumsdup2.jpg

Lignumdrumsdup3.jpg

Lignumdrumsdup1.jpg

More pics to come, when setup is finished in a few days :))) !!!

YEAAH

Hello,

Today 15 may, my Birthday, has been my lucky day :))) ...

... Gert Breughelmans from Lignum drums (Belgium) has send me the first picture of my custom Lignum drum in progress.

This special set started from a birch tree which has been cut in 2007 :

406857_2835932428782_1573362158_32543840_1469292354_n.jpg

The set is now halfway done, it only needs hardware and heads ... but it already looks stunning !!!

476507_3634031020748_1573362158_32844649_1811724759_o-1.jpg

Specs:

Lignum Custom - birch staves

24"x14" bassdrum
20"x14" bassdrum / floortom
10"x7,5" tomtom
12"x8" tomtom
14"x12" floortom
16"x13" floortom
14"x6" snare

More to come when it gets alive !!!

Last edited:
Agreed, there's something very satisfying about tracking your instrument from felled timber to finished item.

@ Clone, happy birchday mate :) !

You made my day .. lol .. birchday ;))) !!

I now know that the next pictures I'll get will be of the finished set. If only looks matter, it already was worth the money .. but these babies gonna sound so good !!!!!

As promised .. pics & recordings (Gert got a zoom-recorder) in the following weeks !

Thnx for you're comments guys !!!

Now THAT'S exciting. Super cool.​

Now THAT'S exciting. Super cool.​

Oh, my... that's one beautiful!

Thanks guys :) !

I just can't imagine the joy I'll have playing them ... this is the second Lignum 24" bass drum ever made (first one in Birch).

Gert told me he once compared a Mapex 24" Saturn bass drum with a 22" Lignum ... the Lignum surpassed the Mapex both in volume and depth ...

... so I thought ... what would a 24" be like :D ?

His answer : INSANE :p

Thats what I want Gert Breughelmans :) !

Second kick (20") is for all other situations where less volume is required ;).

2007. Man that is some nice seasoned wood. congrats on what looks like it will be one monster set or capable of being divided into bop, jazz or any other configuration.

2007. Man that is some nice seasoned wood. congrats on what looks like it will be one monster set or capable of being divided into bop, jazz or any other configuration.

Thanks man !

That was exactly the idea I had for my dream-kit, capable of being a big rock-set or being converted into a small jazz bop-kit and everything in between :) .

Special future for the 20" kick ... it will have 3 mounts for floor-tom legs to convert to a sort of gong-bassdrum/ stand-alone bass drum.

Lignum not only makes its own lugs (in brass), the floor-tom legs are now made from stainless steel 12 mm (fitted with Pearl floor-tom ends).

August last year, I decided to start gaining the fonds for it.
31-12, I got half the money and placed the order :).

And now (may 2012) I have all funds ready :) :).

The set will come with Stagg cases (as Gert prefers .. they're pro-series are super-beef !!) for the whole kit.

Likely things to add: new hi-hatstand (Tama Iron Cobra/Speed Cobra), double tom stand, some extra clamps, memory locks, big and small carpet, ...

On the wish list a little further: Sabian AAX stadium ride :D ... Sabian Aero crash :D

Why not making ur dreams true .. when you can :D !!! *

* hard work involved to get here ;)

High-quality, hand-made drums are incredibly special things. Your kit looks great, even just as raw shells. I'm sure it'll be everything you're expecting.

The excitement is palpable. It's the best kind of relationship to have with an instrument and I'm sure the manufacturer will have just as much excitement about making the kit. That's how it should be.

High-quality, hand-made drums are incredibly special things. Your kit looks great, even just as raw shells. I'm sure it'll be everything you're expecting.

The excitement is palpable. It's the best kind of relationship to have with an instrument and I'm sure the manufacturer will have just as much excitement about making the kit. That's how it should be.

I totally agree with you ;) !

Congratulations and happy birthday! I have a Lignum black cherry snare drum. It is beautiful and made with great care and skill, and it sounds awesome. I'm positive you will love your kit when it arrives. Can't wait to see the next round of pics. Take care and regards from Perth.

Congratulations and happy birthday! I have a Lignum black cherry snare drum. It is beautiful and made with great care and skill, and it sounds awesome. I'm positive you will love your kit when it arrives. Can't wait to see the next round of pics. Take care and regards from Perth.

Thank you !

Couldn't have a better birthday-week ... I'm drooling whole week now :D.

Cherry is such a nice wood as well, especially the looks !!!
Did it come with wood hoops, brass hoops or the normal hoops ?

Recently he got his own design Lignum snare-strainer .. its gorgeous as well !

Lignum drums are so good, they appear only very often in the second-hand market.

I expect the kit to be finished in a few weeks :) ...

... and of course I'll share it with the rest of the world :D !

Hello. I ordered my black cherry with the full brass hardware and the new snare mechanism (which works very nicely). Here are some pictures. All the best.

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0589.jpg

Hello. I ordered my black cherry with the full brass hardware and the new snare mechanism (which works very nicely). Here are some pictures. All the best.

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0589.jpg

That looks amazing !!!

I love the look of his own design lugs .. looks very classy !

Enjoy playing / staring @ it ;) !

Ok guys, I edited this threat for the last update of my set ... hopely you can get a sight at it ;) !

Or do I have to start a new threat ?

See ye ;) !

Man the possibilities are limitless. I love the bass/floor tom combo. Have a great day drooling.

Man the possibilities are limitless. I love the bass/floor tom combo. Have a great day drooling.

I came up with the idea of having a second bass drum in a different width and asked Gert if I could have floor tom legs on that bass drum ... so I could use it as gong-bassdrum.

No problem !!!

The floor tom brackets he uses can be fully closed without legs in it, so they don't rattle when played as bass drum.

Still 1/2 day dreaming before I can go to Lignum drums to finally get them :D !!!

I will test all possibilities in the next days/weeks/months to come. Later this day I'll have some sound clips of this beast ;) !

Thnx for your breath :p !!!

Last edited:
Back