Tam Royal Star year

Rick H.

Hey it's not too important but i was wondering if anybody knows what year this Tama Royal Star set is. I bought it used and the previous owner was unaware of the year and i was just curious if anyone out there could shed some light on this. (The outer 2 rack toms are actually Imperial Stars, just with the same finish)

Attachments

• IMG_1669GOOD.JPG
    IMG_1669GOOD.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,585
  • IMG_1670GOOD.JPG
    IMG_1670GOOD.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_1673GOOD.JPG
    IMG_1673GOOD.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,001
Go to Tama's website, they have a history section with every catalog they've ever put out.

You can find everything they've ever made on there, with years, etc.

I can't help you with the year but i do know that Royal Stars were produced until the late 80's.

Its definately pre 1981. After 1981 they used a slightly different bass drum mount. I saw those drums on NY Craigslist. I was suprised they took so long to sell. The asking price was very reasonable. The ad is still up there. Good luck with your new purchase.

It might be 1981. I bought a new 5 pcs Royalstar w/ the Platina finish Aug.5th 1981 (can't believe I found the bill!). That's what that finish is btw. And all the hardware is the same- BD mount as well.

Last edited:
It might be 1981. I bought a new 5 pcs Royalstar w/ the Platina finish Aug.5th 1981 (can't believe I found the bill!). That's what that finish is btw. And all the hardware is the same- BD mount as well.

The bass drum in these pics have the long bass drum legs with the round adjustable end. The later bass drum spurs (post 81) are thicker, shorter and have the butterfly type adjustment end. Those legs are usually seen on pre 81 kits along with the bass drum mount which is the chrome, rounded type. The later bass drum mount found on 81 and after kits have the more squared type top with a mix of satin and chrome finish. Its possible this kit was made around 1981 but unlikely anytime after that. Thats not to say the set wasn't sitting in a drum shop for year or 2 after it was actually made by Tama.

Something weird here... my bill (from 1981) says Swingstar #7225 !! but the one tom I have left (which was water damaged so I couldn't sell it, but kept it as a souvenir) says Royal star !!
My kit, plus the Altair stands, looks exactly like this Patina set ( http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=35&now=1 ) from the catalog. The legs are the same as the catalog except the BD mount/ tom holder is as per Rick H.'s kit and not the '78 catalog.
I guess by 81 Swingstar became the old Royalstar ... the guy who bought my kit was a little confused by the interior finish which was a clear wood finish by then I guess...

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpeg
    IMG_1868.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 864
Something weird here... my bill (from 1981) says Swingstar #7225 !! but the one tom I have left (which was water damaged so I couldn't sell it, but kept it as a souvenir) says Royal star !!
My kit, plus the Altair stands, looks exactly like this Patina set ( http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=35&now=1 ) from the catalog. The legs are the same as the catalog except the BD mount/ tom holder is as per Rick H.'s kit and not the '78 catalog.
I guess by 81 Swingstar became the old Royalstar ... the guy who bought my kit was a little confused by the interior finish which was a clear wood finish by then I guess...

What you have there is a salesman writing up the order # wrong. The Swingstar set should be part # 7255 in the 1980 catalog. It was not the same as the Royalstar but it looks like the sales people were getting confused. I could see them confusing the 2 lines as they were alot alike. But its compounded by a completely incorrect part number altogether. Royalstar part # for the kit is #7965 in the early 80's. In the late 70's the Royalstar bass drum part # is #7522 but the whole drum outfit is #7935 for the basic set but all start #79?? for any set . From the beginning up to 1983 both Royalstar and Swingstar used the Zola Coating on the inside of the shells except when you ordered the semi gloss Brazilian Grain color for the Royalstars. They came with matching interiors. Then in 1984 the Royalstars added semi gloss Wine Red and that also had a matching wood interior.

Swingstar did not become Royalstar. They were completely different lines of drums all through there history from the 70's/80's. It would not suprise me however if the sales people did not know the difference and gave wrong drums out from time to time. They looked the same. What is interesting is that you are saying your drums were wood inside. That is very strange. Never seen that before and I have seen many sets of Tama over the years.

Hey Ed427vette, thanks for the info. My Royalstars did have the Zola interior finish but I think, the guy who bought my drums was expecting the wood finish.

Its definately pre 1981. After 1981 they used a slightly different bass drum mount. I saw those drums on NY Craigslist. I was suprised they took so long to sell. The asking price was very reasonable. The ad is still up there. Good luck with your new purchase.

I'm glad to hear that you think it was a reasonable price, but apparentaly no one else seems to think so. I still haven't sold them someone offered me $325 but i tried holding out. Then after a while got desperate and tried calling the guy back but didn't gt any reply. I know i'm not suppose to use this site to pimp out my gear, but if anyone's interested, they're there.

I'm glad to hear that you think it was a reasonable price, but apparentaly no one else seems to think so. I still haven't sold them someone offered me $325 but i tried holding out. Then after a while got desperate and tried calling the guy back but didn't gt any reply. I know i'm not suppose to use this site to pimp out my gear, but if anyone's interested, they're there.

I do think its a very good price. I can only say its just not hitting the right people. Those are really decent drums. I know you have probably heard this before but ebay is definately your best bet. Otherwise just hang on and I'm sure they will go.

I misunderstood your first post. I thought you just bought them. Now that I have reread it I see my mistake.

Yeah, ebay's a pain in the ass because of the shipping especially with drums. I am going to hang onto it and keep the price firm, because lately i've been keeping at the practice space while i keep my other one at home, so it is kind of convinient but i am willing to give them up to get some cash, i wouldn't mind transporting my other drums around too much. I was just hoping to figure out the year because people sometimes ask about that and i don't know what to tell them, and i don't think that helps my case too much.

Back