Drums/Percussion in "Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow?

There's a deep bass tone on one of each measure which could be a "dom" on a doumbek or djembe. It could also be an unmuffled bass drum played with a soft beater.

There's a very high-pitched sound marking the backbeat which is clearly a thick glass bottle, like an old-fashioned milk jug.

There are treble notes which sound to me like tabla played by someone who has no idea how to play tabla. It could also be poorly-tuned bongos, again played by someone who has no idea how to play hand drums.

It's an intricate and interesting rhythm played on non-standard instruments, I'll tell you that.

Curse you for making me listen to Sheryl Crow, though, you rat fink. ;-P Thankfully I can mentally tune out her caterwauling whine and concentrate on the real music.

Edited to add: I trolled the search engines looking for real, solid info and could find none.

Last edited:
There's a deep bass tone on one of each measure which could be a "dom" on a doumbek or djembe. It could also be an unmuffled bass drum played with a soft beater.

There's a very high-pitched sound marking the backbeat which is clearly a thick glass bottle, like an old-fashioned milk jug.

There are treble notes which sound to me like tabla played by someone who has no idea how to play tabla. It could also be poorly-tuned bongos, again played by someone who has no idea how to play hand drums.

It's an intricate and interesting rhythm played on non-standard instruments, I'll tell you that.

Curse you for making me listen to Sheryl Crow, though, you rat fink. ;-P Thankfully I can mentally tune out her caterwauling whine and concentrate on the real music.

Edited to add: I trolled the search engines looking for real, solid info and could find none.

Thanks for the thorough analysis ;)

Back