John Bonham

Four words: When the Levee Breaks

is it hard..no....is it awesome...yes

Amen.

I no longer make lists of any 'Best ______ ever'. It's too difficult to compare across genres. To watch and to listen to, John Bonham is my favorite drummer. Overrated or not, he's my biggest influence and the reason I even wanted to play drums.

Of course there are better drummers, but there are none that I'd rather listen to.

I actually didn't like Led Zep when they first came out. They only grew on me because growing up in Brooklyn in the late 60's early 70's my cousin played the damn album every single morning while we got ready for school...."How many more tiii-iiimes......beat meeee...the wayyy you pleeee-ase!" :) (How many more times did I want to throw that record out into the street!)...UGH!

I was so into Hendrix and Mitchell that Zep just wasn't even close to being in the same league. Mitchell is THE one that made me want to start playing drums in the first place, (later in '71 I got to record in Jimi's Electric Lady Studios with my NYC original rock band...what a trip!...alas Jimi had already stepped on out across his rainbow bridge)...when I heard Mitch's drumming on "FIRE" that was it for me...I was hooked....hook, line, and sinker....and today I still rate my TOP favorite drummers as Rich, Mitchell, Paice, and Cobham. Compared to these three? Bonham doesn't even come close, can't hold a candle to 'em. To be fair to him, he did fit the music and he's a household name, just like a thousand other guys, but the best drummer ever? The best soloist ever? Methinks not.

Guys back in the 30's and 40's were doing triplets and cross-overs in their sleep. JB had nice 16th foot work, but that was the only technique I saw that was the slightest bit different or stood him out from any of the other contemporaries of the time. He certainly had no 'godly knowledge' of the rudiments fer' cryin' out loud. And let me tell you, those early cats knew their rudiments upside down, sideways, and any other way you can think of.

The bottom line is this. His engineer did a hell of a recording job and THAT'S who deserves the credit for JB's 'BIG' sound. A good sound engineer is worth his weight in gold, an excellent one is priceless....and most of you know you can take THAT to the bank. ESPECIALLY when it comes to drum recording and live stage mix.

Paige probably had a lot to do with a LOT of what Bonzo could get away with recording-wise, and conversely, not get away with. Like I could imagine that JB tried to wrest his acrylics into the studio one day and Jimmy stopped him cold with "Not on me' watch. mate! 'Yer not bringing those bloody plastic tree planters in this studio...you use the bloomin' Maple's!

If any of you have ever watched their 1973 performances at Madison Square Garden, ("The Song Remains The Same" released in 1976) you KNOW they made a shambles out of that concert, horrible, horrible, abysmally horrific! All the songs were mish-mashed, half the band didn't know what the hell was going on, Bonzo's vistalites sounded crappy...as vistalites are wont to do......and I thought to myself...."THIS? This is the best Rock n' Roll band in the world? This is absolutely the worst thing I have ever heard in my life..."...and I had to turn the video off. When I read that they had gotten swindled out of $203,000.00 I thought "Somebody's not happy!" LOL " Shyster promoters got some of their money back probably...."

Bonham purveyed the idea that bigger is better, hence the "iconic" 14 X 26 Luddy. Big deal. Hell, most of the early cats cut their teeth on 14 X 28's....grew up on 'em.....like Chick Webb in the 20's and 30's. Little guy, suffered with tuberculosis of the spine from childhood, short stature, distorted spine, lived with it all his life, drummed with it all his life, led his band while suffering from it, and finally died a young man of 34!

"In 1931 Buddy Rich cited Webb's powerful technique and virtuoso performances as heavily influential on his own drumming, and even referred to Webb as "the daddy of them all".

"Art Blakey and Duke Ellington both credit Webb with influencing their music. Krupa credited Webb with raising drummer awareness and paving the way for drummer-led bands, which Krupa would later employ. His thundering solos created a complexity and an energy that paved the way for Buddy Rich (who studied Webb intensely) and Louie Bellson..."

Don't just take my word on it, read the history for yourself on the Wik link I posted down below.

Talk about an Unsung Hero....Go figure!

Now my generation of drummers, guys like Paice, Powell, Shrieve...all of Zappa's drummers...they had their own thing going on that trumped JHB pretty effortlessly, and the truly greats like drummers/bandleaders/players like Webb, Bellson, Krupa, Rich, Williams and a veritable host of others et al? THEY were the true mentors.

I do love my '70's Slingerland deep cob snare and 1930 Slingerland 16 X 32 bass drum though! JB just used a measly 26" lol

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...2f70957efc.jpg

Now when you think on it, the 30's drummers learned from the 20's drummers, the 40's drummers learned from the 30's drummers, and neck bone's connected to the shoulder bone, ...and so on and so forth, so that by the time the 60's and 70's rolled around, we (my generation) had learned from ALL those guys, then on into the 70's 80's and now here in 2010, what a plethora of knowledge this current generation of drummers has garnered...and how about in the next 50 years? It's only been 100+ years since the first drum sets were cobbled together after evolving from drum corps, marching drum techniques (Traditional grip like I play to the now-vaunted matched grip), the evolution of marching rudiments to drum kit exploitation, the vision and construction of first true drum kits and on and on and on et exhaustem infinitum....so no wonder there are so many excellent drummers out there, from every nation and every tribe!

We are the elite, we are a fraternity like no other. The guitarists can have their amps on 11, the bassists can boast more bottom (No pun intended...well maybe a wee bit), and the keyboardists can have their ivories tickled...but who ALLOWS them to play? Who mesmerizes them, and amazes them, and boosts them to their highest potential, ladies and gentlemen?

WE DO!

'Nuff said...

"Ladies and Gentlemen! The inimitable Mr. CHICK WEBB!!!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Webb

chick.jpg

Edited for Bonzo typo

Last edited:
I actually didn't like Led Zep when they first came out. They only grew on me because growing up in Brooklyn in the late 60's early 70's my cousin played the damn album every single morning while we got ready for school...."How many more tiii-iiimes......beat meeee...the wayyy you pleeee-ase!" :) (How many more times did I want to throw that record out into the street!)...UGH!

I was so into Hendrix and Mitchell that Zep just wasn't even close to being in the same league. Mitchell is THE one that made me want to start playing drums in the first place, (later in '71 I got to record in Jimi's Electric Lady Studios with my NYC original rock band...what a trip!...alas Jimi had already stepped on out across his rainbow bridge)...when I heard Mitch's drumming on "FIRE" that was it for me...I was hooked....hook, line, and sinker....and today I still rate my TOP favorite drummers as Rich, Mitchell, Paice, and Cobham. Compared to these three? Bonham doesn't even come close, can't hold a candle to 'em. To be fair to him, he did fit the music and he's a household name, just like a thousand other guys, but the best drummer ever? The best soloist ever? Methinks not.

Guys back in the 30's and 40's were doing triplets and cross-overs in their sleep. JB had nice 16th foot work, but that was the only technique I saw that was the slightest bit different or stood him out from any of the other contemporaries of the time. He certainly had no 'godly knowledge' of the rudiments fer' cryin' out loud. And let me tell you, those early cats knew their rudiments upside down, sideways, and any other way you can think of.

The bottom line is this. His engineer did a hell of a recording job and THAT'S who deserves the credit for JB's 'BIG' sound. A good sound engineer is worth his weight in gold, an excellent one is priceless....and most of you know you can take THAT to the bank. ESPECIALLY when it comes to drum recording and live stage mix.

Paige probably had a lot to do with a LOT of what Bozo could get away with recording-wise, and conversely, not get away with. Like I could imagine that JB tried to wrest his acrylics into the studio one day and Jimmy stopped him cold with "Not on me' watch. mate! 'Yer not bringing those bloody plastic tree planters in this studio...you use the bloomin' Maple's!

If any of you have ever watched their 1973 performances at Madison Square Garden, ("The Song Remains The Same" released in 1976) you KNOW they made a shambles out of that concert, horrible, horrible, abysmally horrific! All the songs were mish-mashed, half the band didn't know what the hell was going on, Bozo's vistalites sounded crappy...as vistalites are wont to do......and I thought to myself...."THIS? This is the best Rock n' Roll band in the world? This is absolutely the worst thing I have ever heard in my life..."...and I had to turn the video off. When I read that they had gotten swindled out of $203,000.00 I thought "Somebody's not happy!" LOL " Shyster promoters got some of their money back probably...."

Bonham purveyed the idea that bigger is better, hence the "iconic" 14 X 26 Luddy. Big deal. Hell, most of the early cats cut their teeth on 14 X 28's....grew up on 'em.....like Chick Webb in the 20's and 30's. Little guy, suffered with tuberculosis of the spine from childhood, short stature, distorted spine, lived with it all his life, drummed with it all his life, led his band while suffering from it, and finally died a young man of 34!

"In 1931 Buddy Rich cited Webb's powerful technique and virtuoso performances as heavily influential on his own drumming, and even referred to Webb as "the daddy of them all".

"Art Blakey and Duke Ellington both credit Webb with influencing their music. Krupa credited Webb with raising drummer awareness and paving the way for drummer-led bands, which Krupa would later employ. His thundering solos created a complexity and an energy that paved the way for Buddy Rich (who studied Webb intensely) and Louie Bellson..."

Don't just take my word on it, read the history for yourself on the Wik link I posted down below.

Talk about an Unsung Hero....Go figure!

Now my generation of drummers, guys like Paice, Powell, Shrieve...all of Zappa's drummers...they had their own thing going on that trumped JHB pretty effortlessly, and the truly greats like drummers/bandleaders/players like Webb, Bellson, Krupa, Rich, Williams and a veritable host of others et al? THEY were the true mentors. I don't know who Bozo studied, I don't know if he ever even discussed it, but knowing what I know and what I've read about his pathetic idiotic antics like taking dumps in women's purses and shoes and the like, I have very little respect for him as a man, and having this narcissistic attitude, I'm really not in the least bit surprised that he didn't give credit to those who mentored him. As a drummer he rates very low on my scale of top 100 drummers.

I do love my '70's Slingerland deep cob snare and 1930 Slingerland 16 X 32 bass drum though! JB just used a measly 26" Hah!

l_68829417ee384a79a38a882f70957efc.jpg

Now when you think on it, the 30's drummers learned from the 20's drummers, the 40's drummers learned from the 30's drummers, and neck bone's connected to the shoulder bone, ...and so on and so forth, so that by the time the 60's and 70's rolled around, we (my generation) had learned from ALL those guys, then on into the 70's 80's and now here in 2010, what a plethora of knowledge this current generation of drummers has garnered...and how about in the next 50 years? It's only been 100+ years since the first drum sets were cobbled together after evolving from drum corps, marching drum techniques (Traditional grip like I play to the now-vaunted matched grip), the evolution of marching rudiments to drum kit exploitation, the vision and construction of first true drum kits and on and on and on et exhaustem infinitum....so no wonder there are so many excellent drummers out there, from every nation and every tribe!

We are the elite, we are a fraternity like no other. The guitarists can have their amps on 11, the bassists can boast more bottom (No pun intended...well maybe a wee bit), and the keyboardists can have their ivories tickled...but who ALLOWS them to play? Who mesmerizes them, and amazes them, and boosts them to their highest potential, ladies and gentlemen?

WE DO!

'Nuff said...

"Ladies and Gentlemen! The inimitable Mr. CHICK WEBB!!!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Webb

chick.jpg

None of the drummers you mentioned had the pure power Bonham had on a drumkit NUFF SAID, Look at the little solo bit at the end of "Dazed & Confused" from the crappy "The Song Remains The Same" & you'll understand.

Oh here's a little drum education for you, he was influenced by Krupa & Rich his 1up 2 down set up should of gave you a little clue I guess you were busy disagreeing with all the Bonham fans out there, He is Legend 33 pages,1304 replies & 104,953 views prove that by itself.

Nothing taken away from the drummers you mentioned they're Great and deserve mentioning I try too learn something from every drummer I've saw live or heard period no matter how bad or great they were & that's every drummer.

You shouldn't. be so simple-minded or should I say cymbal-minded LOL

Bonzolead

Destroyone, I don't agree with some of your evaluations but that was an entertaining read :)

Destroyone said:
A good sound engineer is worth his weight in gold, an excellent one is priceless

Couldn't agree more. However, no matter who's calling the shots or twiddling the knobs you have to give credit to the humble tub thumper who's doing the actual part. I think you undersold JB there. He really did play with a pleasing amount of oomph and groove, and it wasn't all someone else's vision.

Destroyone said:
I still rate my TOP favorite drummers as Rich, Mitchell, Paice, and Cobham. Compared to these three? Bonham doesn't even come close

His major appeal to me is his feel. For a big hitter JB had lovely touch. He passes the acid test of a drummer - did he make the songs feel good? Yes he did! [sic]. Most of his tracks are a pleasure to listen to - either within the band sound or just focusing on the drums. If there's a rock drummer who's playing could be described as "sexy" it would be JB on those first two albums.

He was usually tidier than Mitch and funkier than Ian Paice, although those guys were more nimble. Different qualities, all enjoyable. Ian, Mitch, JB and Aynsley Dunbar were my first drum idols in the 70s. I don't feel JB can be compared with Billy C - different genres. Actually, I'm not sure anyone can be compared with Billy C in his with Mahavishnu period - that was white magic.

Destroyone, I don't agree with some of your evaluations but that was an entertaining read :)

Couldn't agree more. However, no matter who's calling the shots or twiddling the knobs you have to give credit to the humble tub thumper who's doing the actual part. I think you undersold JB there. He really did play with a pleasing amount of oomph and groove, and it wasn't all someone else's vision.

His major appeal to me is his feel. For a big hitter JB had lovely touch. He passes the acid test of a drummer - did he make the songs feel good? Yes he did! [sic]. Most of his tracks are a pleasure to listen to - either within the band sound or just focusing on the drums. If there's a rock drummer who's playing could be described as "sexy" it would be JB on those first two albums.

He was usually tidier than Mitch and funkier than Ian Paice, although those guys were more nimble. Different qualities, all enjoyable. Ian, Mitch, JB and Aynsley Dunbar were my first drum idols in the 70s. I don't feel JB can be compared with Billy C - different genres. Actually, I'm not sure anyone can be compared with Billy C in his with Mahavishnu period - that was white magic.

Yes, I quite agree. Dunbar is right up there at the top of my list. I saw Cobham with Mahavishnu live in Central Park in 70 or 71 and they blew me away. Billy made me just sit down and be very very still. Like a sponge still....I agree with no comparisons with Billy, and I'm not comparing him to JB, as you said, there is no one quite like Mr C.

And I'm glad you were entertained by the read. Somewhere around here I have a copy of "A Thunder Of Drums" and I think I'll re-read it on the plane. I want to check out the rest of this forum's content when I have a little more time after my wife and I return from from vacation.

This looks like an articulate educational discussion board that I can learn more than a few things about, I'm sure of it. Oh, and lest I forget my manners...

R.I.P. JB You are truly a legendary mentor for millions.

Last edited:

I have always felt the same. Mitch was always very busy, but sloppy and often off beat, at least in live performances (Woodstock comes to mind), particularly in his fills. Not that JB couldn't wander on his timing (everybody knows about his alcohol consumption in live performances), but Mitch Mitchell just never impressed me that much because of those imperfections. I actually like Hendrix better under Band of Gypsies because of the solid groove that Miles laid down. It was something Mitch was just incapable of.

I don't dispute the value of a good engineer by any measure. But it was indeed Page who can take the credit for any Zepp sounds captured on tape. No doubt about that.

He even made a point of displaying this by using a different engineer on every album. That was not 'by circumstance' but 'by design'. Don't forget JP was a seasoned session guitarist and arranger before he formed Zeppelin. He was no stranger to the inside of a recording studio by any means.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, scroll back down, and check out Chick's DRUM RACK ON WHEELS! I'm surprised nobody noted that before. It even looks like his bass drum is attached to it. Way ahead of it's time for the 30's.

Amen.

I no longer make lists of any 'Best ______ ever'. It's too difficult to compare across genres. To watch and to listen to, John Bonham is my favorite drummer. Overrated or not, he's my biggest influence and the reason I even wanted to play drums.

Of course there are better drummers, but there are none that I'd rather listen to.

Couldnt have said it any better man

I have read every post in this thread. It has taken me a few days I will say!
It has done nothing but make me really appreciate the man. As well as the people here.

The knowledge you guys have on this man (and many others that I will dive into) is incredible! You share it so openly too, tips and tricks to get your kit ready special exercises, I love it!

What a great place!

John Bonham you are certainly not forgotten.

A quote from John Bonham / Moby Dick:

"When I listen to drummers I like to be able to say "Oh! I haven't heard that before." Being yourself is so much better than sounding like anyone else. Ginger Baker's thing is that he is himself. So it's no good trying to do what he does."

I love what Gavin Harrison said when he was talking about unique drummers, "I don't like specific sounds of drum recording as for the drummer himself, for example, John Bonham sounds the way he does because of the way he plays, if someone where to play his kit in a recording no one would be able to recognize it because its not John himself playing it."

John Bonham was brilliant. He had such a power and a presence. I don't think anyone can play like Bonham. Some people say he's overrated. Fine. But there will never be anyone who can play like Bonham. He was unique.

Oh, and happy birthday, Bonzo.

Not at all! you are being sincere. There is something "unsual" on those Giant Beats...that sound...that feel. I appreciate your knowledge shared.

Would it be disrespectful to admit that I love his cymbals more than his playing? The shimmer of those white label Giant Beats is what got me interested in Paistes to begin with. Immigrant Song is a classic Giant Beat 18" Multi crash sound and Stairway - lord, that beautiful silvery ping and wash of that 24" Ride..............................you guys that worship Tony's ride have no idea what Bonzo's ride does for us rockers, lol.

Happy Birthday John you are missed by many.

I purchased online the John Bonham book A Thunder of Drums and it had been lost in the mail system for a while now and lo and behold if the mailman din't come in TODAY with the book, of all days!

That has to be a sign of something!!!

A story about the man himself :

Many years ago, around 1970 ish, a fellow drummer friend of mine decided to do a marathon drum playing session for charity. There was only him and his helpers. It was set up in a room at Stourbridge Cricket Club ( West Midlands UK ) and was expected to last a few days. He used his kit and borrowed mine as well so as to have plenty of variety.

One of our close friends was Martin Lickert who at the time was chauffeur to Ringo Star. Martin arranged to bring John Bonham to visit us during the event to give support.

He duly came and stayed a couple of hours, firstly talking drums then sat behind our improvised double kit and while my friend just played the ride to keep his marathon going, John treated us to his hands only section of Moby Dick, answered questions and showed us anything we wanted to know.

I stood right behind his right shoulder while he played my kit talking to him as he played. Later we sat and had a pint, just one !

He talked drummer to drummer, a real nice, down to earth man, and I was very privileged that day, although I didn’t really know it at the time. All I have left of that kit is a cymbal and somewhere a press cutting of the event.

People knock him sometimes and say he wasn’t a nice person. I met him and he was just one of the lads, a genuine guy who was quite willing to come and support us mortals, to play and talk drums.

Back