Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin - Just wanted to check in (I last posted here a couple of years ago) and say that I continue to love your playing with PT and Blackfield. Still need to get the 05Ric CDs. Your playing is quite inspirational in ways that are different from most other great drummers....can't put my finger on it, but your style resonates with me.

Big fan, hope to see you in Minneapolis, MN!

Kirk

Dear all,

Perhaps you may help me: I've noticed that Gavin uses some device positioned to the left of hi hi-hat that closes very tightly the cymbals, do you know what piece of equipment is this? Who manufactures it?

All help is welcomed!

All the best from Caracas, Venezuela! Happy holidays!

Hi Jado

I think Gavin´s drop-lock hi-hat is this, and is made by DW.

hope that helps.

Saludos para Venezuela, amigo!

Gustavo

Attachments

• dwsm505.jpg
    dwsm505.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,694
Last edited:
Hi Gus

Now that you´re in India (have a good time...;-) ), may i ask you about your view on Indian drummers/percussionists?.I always found them exciting musicians. Mostly i know those who worked with John McLaughlin: The mighty Zakir Hussain, Trilok Gurtu, or Ranjit Barot who plays on JML last cd 'Floating Point'... Also you worked in Dizrhythmia with Pandit Dinesh...

I had a great time in India and I got to spend a day with my friend Pandit Dinesh who is an amazing percussionist. I've enjoyed listening to Trilok Gurtu many times - an unbelievable approach to playing drums and percussion together. I haven't heard Ranjit Barot yet. Zakir Hussain is of course someone every drummer should hear.

Hi marin

do you play live performances with metronome due to samples and electronic stuff in porcupine tree's music? in your opinion, is it required for a drummer to play with metronome in that kind of situations?

Yes sometimes there are samples and electronic stuff we use live and that requires us to play to a click - but mostly it's so the film that is projected behind us is perfectly in synch with the music we're playing. In that situation - yes it's required to play live to a click.

I've recently become curious what it would be like to work with a 'pulsating metronome' and I'm going to try out one of these...

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=159

...I'll let you know what happens.

Hi jez-

Eros Ramazzotti 1995 "Più bella cosa" Live
Which CD or album is this exactly? Could you point me in the right direction?
http://www.discogs.com/Eros-Ramazzot...a/master/88657

yes it's a couple of tracks on a live ep. Looks like you've found it already.

Hi Gus and jado

I use both the Tama Cobra Clutch (when I need tightly closed hi hat) and the DW drop clutch for semi-loose hi hat - so I can of course put my left foot on the double pedal.

cheers
Gavin

I've recently become curious what it would be like to work with a 'pulsating metronome' and I'm going to try out one of these...

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,
Interesting device! Im curious to hear your findings. What do you think is the main advantage of feeling the vibration of this device instead of a click track in the ear?

Cheers,
Santi

Hi Gavin,
Interesting device! Im curious to hear your findings. What do you think is the main advantage of feeling the vibration of this device instead of a click track in the ear?

Cheers,
Santi

I can definitely see how it would be easier on your hearing. I play in a few bands that use backing tracks and originally I thought I was protecting my hearing by using isolation monitors but now I wonder if I am doing more damage by blasting thousands of digital beeps directly onto my eardrums every night.

I'll definitely need to look into this device as well...

I can definitely see how it would be easier on your hearing. I play in a few bands that use backing tracks and originally I thought I was protecting my hearing by using isolation monitors but now I wonder if I am doing more damage by blasting thousands of digital beeps directly onto my eardrums every night.
I believe it all comes down to how loud you have your in-ears. Is projecting moderately loud click+monitoring directly to your eardrums worse than blasting very loud monitoring over very loud noise already on the stage from cabinets beside you?

That looks great. Seems to have even more features than the Yamaha Clickstation, not to mention the Wireless stuff let's you easily set up a click for everybody in your band for rehearsing, or even live situations. I honestly prefer hearing the metronome, I even couldn't play as well when I tried the metronome on my right ear instead of my left one, but I've never actually played to a pulsating one, so I might be wrong, I'll be waiting for your review.
By the way, these look great and all, but they seem WAY expensive, specially if you have to get several for the whole band. Do you by chance have an estimate of how much they are going to cost?
Happy Holidays, and thanks.

Fox.

Hi Gavin,

first of all:Merry Christmas to you and your family.I just checked out the fill you told me.It´s feels awesome:)
I got a serious question:
if you have a girlfriend or wife(i don´t know if you do),how is it possible to keep up relationships for you as a musician?With all that travelling and let´s say "unsteady" lifestyle,what is your approach?

Greets from Germany

joe

Hi SantiBanks

I think you've answered the question with your question. I'm sure most of us would rather not have a barking loud click in our ears.

Hi Fox622003

By the way, these look great and all, but they seem WAY expensive, specially if you have to get several for the whole band. Do you by chance have an estimate of how much they are going to cost?

I couldn't find any info about the price.

Hi DTrocks

cool! Got a release date yet?

no not yet but I'm guessing around April.

Hi joepeng

if you have a girlfriend or wife(i don´t know if you do),how is it possible to keep up relationships for you as a musician?With all that travelling and let´s say "unsteady" lifestyle,what is your approach?

my partner is very understanding and she was in a similar business to the music industry.

cheers
Gavin

Back