To logo, or not to logo...

What do you think, of this bass drum head logo?

Guess who is the drummer?

Attachments

• Roberto Valverde ROBO Misfits.jpg
    Roberto Valverde ROBO Misfits.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 342
I had to point out that the analogy regarding putting the band logo on a drum head is like putting a logo on a guitar is wrong.

A more correct analogy would be that they would put the band logo on the guitar strings.

ok... ok... this is kinda right being that the heads on a drum contribute to most of the tone

BUT

putting a logo on the kick is like putting a logo on the speaker cabinet grille cloth. imo. big blank space, ripe for advertisement. in the past i havent wanted a logo because i personally, wasnt %100 behind the band. i didnt want to spend extra money to market something i didnt love. in my new band (the one im taking off school to pursue) i have zero problem putting a logo up. in fact, i suggested it! i think it is all about your own attitude towards what your doing.

Cool logo. It's for the Misfits and the drummer is Robo.

(ok, I cheated. You can see Misfits written in the background.)

Good on you, mate! Yes, is Roberto "Robo" Valverde.

Geeze, I ask about putting a logo on my kick head and now I feel as though I'm questioning my commitment to the band for showing some resistance to putting an ad on my instrument...

You guys are brutal!

Anyways, I kid. I guess when I think about it, it really does come down to why wouldn't I?

Will have to be something removable as I play with multiple projects, here's the logo in question:

nohawks_shirt.jpg

And the kit it will be going on:

DSC02396.jpg

I almost think that I might get a new head, the existing logo and port location might create a challenge to get something on there that would cover the Obelisk logo fully, I'm imagining something in a rectangular shape (as the logo is designed), corners might get rounded trying to make it large enough to blank out existing logo.

DrumART Jim, (or anyone for that matter) any thoughts?

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts.

DrumART Jim, (or anyone for that matter) any thoughts?

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I can only speak for our products, but our removable logos are designed to cover the entire head for just this reason -- covering anything on the head and consistency of color/finish. And, since drums are round, you can rotate the head on the drum and position the port anywhere you'd like.

That said, I don't see any issues with your logo -- I think it'd look just fine on there. We'd probably vectorize it for you to keep everything as crisp and clear as possible. What can I say? That's just how we roll! ;)

--Jim.

I can only speak for our products, but our removable logos are designed to cover the entire head for just this reason -- covering anything on the head and consistency of color/finish. And, since drums are round, you can rotate the head on the drum and position the port anywhere you'd like.

That said, I don't see any issues with your logo -- I think it'd look just fine on there. We'd probably vectorize it for you to keep everything as crisp and clear as possible. What can I say? That's just how we roll! ;)

--Jim.

Jim, thanks for including my set in your online gallery. I invite you to visit the link below to see how my set looks these days. I still get comments on how good the bass drum head looks.

jer, having seen the picture of your kit, I must say I am surprised. There is, in fact, already an advertisement on your kick reso. Not sure why you would be ok with displaying the drum manufacturer but not the band name. I would add that with a fairly obscure company like Obelisk, some people in the audience might actually think that is the name of your band.

jer, having seen the picture of your kit, I must say I am surprised. There is, in fact, already an advertisement on your kick reso. Not sure why you would be ok with displaying the drum manufacturer but not the band name. I would add that with a fairly obscure company like Obelisk, some people in the audience might actually think that is the name of your band.

In fact, I was waiting for someone to call me on that.

No one has ever thought that was the band name, although I did have someone think it was my stage name once...

That's how my kit was made, I didn't make a decision to put it on there. Somehow in my justification for leaving the makers' name on there, I consider if I'd remove a Gibson logo from a headstock. Probably not, cause that's how the instrument was made and I would have purchased it because of it's qualities, not the name,

I don't own a Gibson.

I was just surprised, is all. I understand your aversion to being a billboard. That's why I made the effort to remove the company logos from my cymbals and bass reso.

Nice kit, by the way.

I like to hang drum heads of past bands on my walls too. (In the music room of course). So I have no prob's with band logo's on my kicks.

Amen to that! I've got...well...more than I'd like to admit on my walls. :) They do look awesome -- unusual and easy. Just a nail or thumb tack in the wall and voila! Instant art. Beer stains and all. ;)

The thread about custom kick skins is timely, in that a few days ago, I had argument over a band wanting me to get their logo on my kick, (which I refuse for a couple reasons), got me to thinking; am I alone in my desire not to advertise?
That doesnt make a lot of sense.

You're ALREADY advertising by doing the gig with them, on a stage in front of people. When you think of what bands can generate for you in terms of income and respect/popularity, and then consider how many are trying to do the exact same thing, you need to consider every possible avenue to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

On a personal level, in my opinion you're CRAZY not associating your name with a band. If you are searching for some recognition as a player, its far easier to achieve by attaching your name to a popular band than it is to 'make it' as a player in your own right.

Promotion is a very important (if not THE most important) tool for a bands success. Refusing to help do this by one of the most noticable means (a kick drum logo) in order to prove some higher personal belief is uncomprehensible IMO.

My advice would be to get the kick logo on there, and think of it in terms of the GROUP and what youre trying to achieve collectively - Not as individuals.

Of course, if youre just wanting to go out and have some fun and not worry about whether people remeber you or not, then its not such an issue.

That doesnt make a lot of sense.

You're ALREADY advertising by doing the gig with them, on a stage in front of people. When you think of what bands can generate for you in terms of income and respect/popularity, and then consider how many are trying to do the exact same thing, you need to consider every possible avenue to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

On a personal level, in my opinion you're CRAZY not associating your name with a band. If you are searching for some recognition as a player, its far easier to achieve by attaching your name to a popular band than it is to 'make it' as a player in your own right.

Promotion is a very important (if not THE most important) tool for a bands success. Refusing to help do this by one of the most noticable means (a kick drum logo) in order to prove some higher personal belief is uncomprehensible IMO.

My advice would be to get the kick logo on there, and think of it in terms of the GROUP and what youre trying to achieve collectively - Not as individuals.

Of course, if youre just wanting to go out and have some fun and not worry about whether people remeber you or not, then its not such an issue.

You along with others have helped me realize that I need to get over whatever it is inside me that resists this type of self-promotion. Maybe it's my hippie / punk ideals that scream "down with the man!" that views this type of promotion as yet another way to force something down someone's throat.

"Promotion is a very important (if not THE most important) tool for a bands success."

I would agree. It's not about the music anymore, it's about image. IMO this is a huge problem with the music industry these days, bands doing well simply because they hired the right PR company, not because their music is any good. There's a part of me that would like to earn respect, both individually and as a band for the music I produce, not for who's clothes I wear, who does my make-up or what "a" list director shot my video.

Really, I should just man-up and start playing the game by their rules instead of trying to make my own.

My name is Jeremy, I play drums in 3 awesome bands, I've put links to their myspace pages in my signature and would like it if you all clicked on them to see how amazing we are. Please add us as friends and tell everyone you know about us 'cause we want to get rich, develop serious drug addictions and move to the Hills where all the cool people live. Oh, and hook up with other celebs for casual relationships to give the rags some tantalizing headlines. Don't forget to buy our albums off iTunes, Amazon or Napster too!

There, that wasn't so bad...

;)

Seriously, as mentioned before, I thank you all for your honest opinions. I appreciate listing to your views and offering insight into my query. There are a lot of things going on in the music industry these days I tend not to agree with and struggle to find a happy medium between doing something I love and am passionate about, and turning my creative outlet into a product that at the end of that day, has little to do with the music itself. I'd love to earn a living playing drums and making music and take steps towards doing this in a way that I feel are true to the promotion of the music. I guess I'm resistant to promoting the image.

Back