Drum Studio Project 3.0

Brundlefly

It's game on here in Foothill Ranch with the new studio build under way. It's going to be bigger, better, quieter with lots of new concepts to cover. And this time I get to keep it. The fist installment, Studio 3.0 Preflight coverage is now up. This week, we look at the new wall design and how to deal effectively with your city and/or local associations.

And if you want some detailed info on building a high performance sound proof room, or if you just need to have a good long cry, you can always check out the old coverage of Studio 2.0.

Enjoy!

AWESOME !! Glad you got back on the horse and you're gonna do it again. I hope that the A-hole neighbor who called on you gets all pissy again because of the construction noise and this time there's nothing he can do about it. I think you should erect a giant middle finger in your front yard ! I think that i CANNOT wait to see the final product.

Ok, I am interested in following this thread and seeing what happens along the way...best of luck with this build.

Hey Brundlefly, interesting build! Onyour website you mentioned quietrock 540 as being cost prohibitive @ $140 per sheet. Have you considered the quietrock 410 product? it hangs just like 3/4" drywall and only costs about $35-40 per sheet. I used it on my control room wall and it works like a champ.

Good luck to you.

I'm interested in the subject as well. It will be an interesting read, as it was the 2.0.

Thanks for sharing :)

I'm wondering: what happened to the materials you used in the previous build? Can you re-use much of it, or has it all gone to waste?

Best of luck with the new build!

All the best with the 3.0. I really appreciate your generosity by sharing you plans and pitfalls with us and read with interest. You took a debacle and turned it into something very positive. Very classy.

That looks fantastic with obviously a ton of planning before the build. Good on you and the best of luck.

Bloody Beautiful and exquisitely detailed.

Best of luck.

Thanks a million for sharing this info. As someone who's been in architectural design-build for 20 some years I can appreciate the work you've done. I'm close to committing to my own studio project and, if you don't mind, I'm going to lift some of your ideas.

Keep us posted.

...if you don't mind, I'm going to lift some of your ideas.

Don't mind a bit. In fact, that is what I'm hoping people will do. Lift away!

If you are considering QuietRock, you should also consider Supress. Supress weighs less, is easier to cut and is generally less expensive than QuietRock. www.supressproducts.com.

Aye, there might be cases where we swap Supress for QuietRock. But being lower weight may not be an advantage for me. We actually want to build the heaviest wall possible in order to drive down the sympathetic frequencies. If we end up doing a third inner layer, Supress might be a way for us to go because we will have an internal weight limitation due to the hat channels. Any idea what the cost differential is between Supress and QuietRock?

I'm wondering: what happened to the materials you used in the previous build? Can you re-use much of it, or has it all gone to waste?

Best of luck with the new build!

Good question. I sort of glossed over this. We managed to recoup all of our isolation clips, all of our drywall screws, all of the cotton batting and about 3/4 of the MLV. About half the frame survived and we'll probably end up using that for stringers and other odds n' ends. Of course, the drywall and closed cell foam was a total loss, and this brings up what could easily have been another Pro Tip:

While Green Glue is a phenomenal product and should be a corner stone material in every build, keep in mind that whatever it touches will be instantly destroyed. Once you put Green Glue on drywall, or really any other surface, say goodbye because you are never going to get that crap off.

Hey Brundlefly, interesting build! Onyour website you mentioned quietrock 540 as being cost prohibitive @ $140 per sheet. Have you considered the quietrock 410 product? it hangs just like 3/4" drywall and only costs about $35-40 per sheet. I used it on my control room wall and it works like a champ.

Yes, you are correct. They make less expensive stuff and all of their stuff appears to perform well. What I didn't mention, and should have, is that we are aiming for a wall that will deliver 80dB of reduction or more. So, we really need every layer to bring something big to the table.

If you compare the tests done by Quiet Solutions and Green Glue, one 510 sheet is roughly = to one 5/8" sheet rock + Green Glue, with the Green Glue wall outperforming QR's stuff in the low end. 510 is thinner and easier to install, but those things aren't of much benefit to my build since I have two experienced contractors on it. I'm still actually considering using all 540 ES inside. And I'm pretty certain that the control room wall will be easier done as a staggered wall with double THX. But all that stuff will come later when we do the inside. And the inside is going to be way more interesting this time around.

Any new developments coming along? I love reading your website. We haven't heard anything in a while though. You haven't hit any more major problems have you? (That was a terrible horror story what happened the first time around.)

Thank you ever so much for posting this and your previous efforts of making, building and designing a studio for yourself. This is by far the most interesting blog I have ever read, it has provided me with many hours of interesting reading. Best of luck with the new build :)

This is seriously one of the best blogs I've read on anything... Very good information. Well written. Extremely good photos and visuals.

A+

Back