Portnoy out...

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Well that didn't last long....

Yes, the rumours are true...sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end...

The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....

I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them...I am proud to always be part of the A7X family and history.

I also adore the A7X fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!

As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me...my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

Happy Holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year,

MP

Wow bet he feels stupid for quitting Dream Theater. I bet he was planning on having them keep him on as a full member. Too bad such a great drummer is being dumped left and right.

This so reminds of that time Pearl Jam fired Dave Abruzzese (is that how you spell it?). Everyone was so concerned about his well-being and he did other projects and then he just faded away. I always thought that episode was so melodramatic. Jeez, you got fired. Go do something else. If it's not as big as what you once did, consider yourself lucky that you got that far! Some of us are considered lucky that there's a gig to play with any kind of band at all.

If Portnoy is the talent he is, then as they say, the cream always rises to the top. If he fades away like Dave did (and many other drummers too) it's just part of the entertainer's life, I guess. Good luck to him.

If Portnoy is the talent he is, then as they say, the cream always rises to the top. If he fades away like Dave did (and many other drummers too) it's just part of the entertainer's life, I guess. Good luck to him.

From the clip I've seen there'd be plenty of bands who'd be happy to have him. The hard part is always finding the right match. Like marriages, most bands have a shelf life - some longer than others. As you say, dealing with relationships - with all their exciting starts and painful separations - is just part of being a muso, no matter what level.

MP will be free to get out there and jam around now ... not such a bad fate.

I'd be surprised if he didn't get back together with Dream Theater, both parties are redundant apart.

Ditto on that one. The Holidays are a time when people's feelings change.

Not really a surprise.

Portnoy stated from the start, and even after the split from DT, that the AX& gig was temporary with no long term commitments.

And face it, the guys in AX7 are 1/2 his age. While they may all be friends, I doubt they want someone their father's age in the band long term. It would more fitting for their long term image to have someone closer to their age, and closer to where they are musically.

And for the band, you know, they went with Portnoy immediately without considering anyone else. Much like a re-bound girlfriend, I'm sure it was nice way to fill the gap and deal with the pain, but with the passing of time, you want a chance to step back, and evaluate your long term plans more.

I never thought the two would stick with each other beyond this tour.

I'm sure Portnoy will find plenty of side projects to keep him busy. He's always had 101 side projects going on. The only question is can he put enough of them together to keep us his house payments without the Dream Theater touring income.

Yeah, I wouldn't guess that any of DT's members are "rich". Maybe, but I'd be surprised.

If they were smart enough to have good contracts with their recording company, have the rights on their merchandise and didn't destroy every hotel room they have ever been to... yes... you'd be surprised.

He had a pretty nice house (from what can be seen in his videos/DVDs). Ahh yes I'm sure he makes a good bit of income out of DVD sales too.

He'll be sitting on enough to make it through a few years at least I'm sure. And he of course would have many industry contacts to pull him out and put him on a gigging throne if he needed it.

Just because you look like you’re rich doesn’t mean you are.

That's why credit is so popular.

And in fairness, it’s not just famous people either. You’ve probably seen some suit drive past you in a nice BMW and thought, “hmmm, looks like someone has done well for themselves...”, when in reality, that person could be up to their eyeballs in debt and have been getting dunning notices from their lenders.

If people actually had to display the amount of money they owe on their foreheads, you would be surprised.

When people earn more money it gets them access to a larger line of credit.

Even Simon Cowel went bankrupt in the early 90s. He confessed to it in his autobiography that although he had the big house, the car and all the other accessories of the high ife, it was bought on credit.

The only person who truely knows how much MP is worth, is MP and his accountant.

Take it on the balance of probabilities mate. Not saying he is rolling in moola. None of the DT members seem to have had much financial trouble. Odds are Mike is fine.

(I should start driving around in a suit more often)

Yeah, I wouldn't guess that any of DT's members are "rich". Maybe, but I'd be surprised.

Depends on your definition of "rich".

Multi millionaire? I don't think so. But he has a nice house in a suburb in the Long Beach, New York area, which doesn't come cheap. My guess is he enjoys a nice upper middle class lifestyle at home.

As I've posted before, what lacks in US sales they make up for in Europe, Asia and South America sales. You don't have to sell a ton in every country if you can sell in many, many different countries. DT only has one gold record in the US, but global sales add up.

And given the last three times they played Los Angeles, they played a much bigger venue than they had an any previous tours, I'd guess in the last few years they've been doing even better in overall ticket sales as time goes on. Last time they were here, they played the Universal/Gibson Amphitheater. Rush played the same venue the last time they were here. I was kind of amazed by that fact.

Plus Mike isn't just the drummer. He gets song writing royalties, and producer credits. And after the pitfall of the Falling into Infinity session, starting Scenes from a Memory, DT has run a very cost effective operation. They keep there recording expenses down by self producing, (and until recently) avoided spending money on videos. So they get a little more out of each CD sale than the average band.

Plus he has his line of drumming videos, many of which he sells directly out of his house (i.e. no middle man), official bootlegs, and 101 side projects, all of which add up over time.

But without being in DT, can he keep that up? Who knows. We'll see.

But without being in DT, can he keep that up? Who knows. We'll see.

Should I be taking a hint from this?

Dream Theater’s legendary keyboardist Jordan Rudess and drum great Marco Minnemann appeared on the BandCrashers.com platform in a two-hour live online streaming performance on December 15, 2010, from Chicago’s premier Plant 10 Studios. The “Musical Mind Meld” features special guest guitarist extraordinaire Daniel Jakubovic who will join Rudess/Minnemann in what was a no holds barred improvisational musical excursion through the minds of two of the greatest musicians in the world.

Should I be taking a hint from this?

Dream Theater’s legendary keyboardist Jordan Rudess and drum great Marco Minnemann appeared on the BandCrashers.com platform in a two-hour live online streaming performance on December 15, 2010, from Chicago’s premier Plant 10 Studios. The “Musical Mind Meld” features special guest guitarist extraordinaire Daniel Jakubovic who will join Rudess/Minnemann in what was a no holds barred improvisational musical excursion through the minds of two of the greatest musicians in the world.
I almost posted that a few days ago.

It does seem to be a strong hint, but if was they guy, I don't see why they wouldn't say so.

The band is claiming they made a choice, but are working out all the legal issues before they make a formal announcement. Given they're being secretive about who they chose, I doubt they would have this gig go forward if he was the guy.

But I don't know.

Mark Zonder posted on his face book he was NOT asked to join to band. So that's one name down.

Portnoy is now doing something with Symphony X's singer or something like that.

Back