Tre' Cool

I am fourteen years old and yes I do like a lot of the new punk stuff but I do know what is the right thing to listen to. I was raised on; The who, Zeppelin, ELP,YES, and my favorite band THE CLASH. And I can play evrey song off American Idiot (great CD) and I will admit he is no Buddy Rich (who is?) but he does have tallent. So what if Green Day are sell outs now, you cant take that away from him.

(I saw Green Day at Giants Stadium and I was not amused. It was all little kids with there soccar momes who only heard of Green Day because Wake me Up when Sept. Ends was over played. (espicly in the NYC were i live)

I think Green Day is changing back into there old school stuff which would be a hard thing to do but I heard in an interview that Billy Joe is planning on doing another Dookie alike album they said they just wanted to try american idiot out and see where it would go from there ofcourse it's a big change but until then we will just see how there next album goes.

londoncallingbronxNYC said:
I am fourteen years old and yes I do like a lot of the new punk stuff but I do know what is the right thing to listen to. I was raised on; The who, Zeppelin, ELP,YES, and my favorite band THE CLASH. And I can play evrey song off American Idiot (great CD) and I will admit he is no Buddy Rich (who is?) but he does have tallent. So what if Green Day are sell outs now, you cant take that away from him.

(I saw Green Day at Giants Stadium and I was not amused. It was all little kids with there soccar momes who only heard of Green Day because Wake me Up when Sept. Ends was over played. (espicly in the NYC were i live)
i think you have the right attitude towards tre cool, but maybe not the kids. they have to start with some song. we all start somewhere.

ewanlaing said:
i think you have the right attitude towards tre cool, but maybe not the kids. they have to start with some song. we all start somewhere.
I agree. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't a big fan until I bought American Idiot. Though it wasn't my first album.

And I don't really think they're going to be "going back" anywhere. After American Idiot, they can only go forward, and I'm pretty sure they know that as well as anyone does. Like it or not, they're growing - musically, personally - and once you've started to grow, it's ridiculous to try to come back to something you've passed.

And Tré is one crazy guy. First of all, he said rock drumming needs to be brought back to Keith Moon, which is excellent (and apparent in his playing style). Secondly, if you've ever read a biographical article about the guy, he's done and said some pretty wacky things to his body and in his life, and at 32 (almost 33), I don't think he's going to stop that anytime soon. As a drummer, and as a rock star, I see him as being something you're not going to see twice.

southpawNotadrummer said:
I agree. I'll be the first to admit I wasn't a big fan until I bought American Idiot. Though it wasn't my first album.

And I don't really think they're going to be "going back" anywhere. After American Idiot, they can only go forward, and I'm pretty sure they know that as well as anyone does. Like it or not, they're growing - musically, personally - and once you've started to grow, it's ridiculous to try to come back to something you've passed.

And Tré is one crazy guy. First of all, he said rock drumming needs to be brought back to Keith Moon, which is excellent (and apparent in his playing style). Secondly, if you've ever read a biographical article about the guy, he's done and said some pretty wacky things to his body and in his life, and at 32 (almost 33), I don't think he's going to stop that anytime soon. As a drummer, and as a rock star, I see him as being something you're not going to see twice.
Well I know there not keeping there additional band members and there not wearing that make up anymore so there next album is just going to have 3 of them on it. See if they do another album like american Idiot well it would probably be boring and the same as the other one. American Idiot was something new they've got a lot of new fans but lost many old fans Billie Joe knows that Since he started in the underground Punk sceen he wants to go oldschool Green Day and if there next album is like Dookie I'm buying it.

Tre Cool is a crazy guy he did courses in clown college he's like a clown when he's on stage! I use to watch Green Day videos and say wow I wish I could play like Tre Cool Then I learn't about other drummers even though I'm not looking to play what Tre Cool does He made me want to play Drums

I like green day, but not american idiot. only good song is jesus of saburbia. Tre cool, in my opinion is a pretty good drummer, but its mainly speed that makes him sound good.

haha every one bashes travis because hes so good he gets overated but you never hear Tre Cool only billy joe so no one bashes him lol!

Tre Cool is one of the main drummers I idolize. He is just so cool. Went to a Green Day show, and he is such a beast and still loves drumming, not just the money. He is always pumped for a show, always hyper, my type of guy!

Ok, just got the copy of the new "Bible In A Bullet" DVD by Greenday.
Verdict: Tre' is an amazing drummer. I suggest all you naysayers get a copy and watch.
What a great "show" drummer. His chops and intricate fills come across so good in this DVD concert. He has a style unique to him. Try copying those chops with the same energy and flair!
One thing the man does, is put the drummer in the forefront of the action.
How many times have we complained that the guitarists and singers get all the attention.
The man is a great drummer, and more importantly great for the drumming community.
"Nuff said!
Phil

You have to take into consideration the fact that Green Day probably doesn't have as much control over the writing process as they used to. Therefore, it's not fair to judge him based on what you're hearing on their latest album. If you want to know whether or not the man can play, just listen to Dookie.

I wouldn't say he was a bad drummer i would just say that Greenday are too popular and they are possibly the most repetitive band on the planet thats why i don't like them and he does play the same beats a lot of the time but like people are saying, he does what he is needed and sometimes there is complexity (since that is the only thing people tend to care about). A lot of their stuff sounds too much the same!

That's why I like Tre so much he has so much energy on stage and he's always making funny faces He always get's the attention and he's amazing live. At the end of the concert he will either Burn a kit, Throw it around or run it over that's just crazy I'd love to do that on stage if I had over a dozen kits and my own signature kit!

I dunno why ya r all going on bout how simple it is n everything... coz man if i got sponsered and paid and stuff for doing simple rhythms hell i'd be over the moon.

Re: Tre' Cool?

jammaster said:
but YES he is being endorsed just because he has got lucky to get in a popular band, there are loats of drummers with similar skill lvl and even better but they just ain't popular.

Are you kidding me?

He didn't get LUCKY to be in a popular band. Those guys have worked their asses off to get so popular. If you think popularity just gets thrown to you, you better think again. You should always respect people (like Green Day) who have worked hard to reach this level.

I'm not saying Tré is the world's best drummer, but his style fits their music so well. And that's all that matters.

Re: Tre' Cool?

NUTHA JASON said:
we cover basket case and american idiot and i must say his drumming is loads of fun to play. i tend to pull his facial expressions which i find helps with the general greenday madness sound.

j

lol, i do too, i dont know why, but it does help to play his sticking

Many of you have said how can he be such a great drummer when all of his rhythms are so simple etc. But in my opinion, complex rhythms and portnoy style drumming does not make for a good drummer. A good drummer is one who can use simple rhythms but place them well in the song, drive the track along, and of course add a little comic relief to the band. Tre is one of the best drummers out there at the moment. Not just because of Green Day but because he's just a legend in his own right. He came from nothing and look where he is today. He Rocks!

Back