Worst. Song. Ever.

Poor Rebecca cried about the nasty comments ... all the way to the bank. I will happily share her pain. Yeah PQ, Aldous Huxley and George Orwell had it worked out.

But hey, the music is tighter than many bands I've seen, where there's a little push pull in the tempo, a few notes not played quite cleanly. A lot of "old" music is considered sloppy by today's machine-driven standards.

You don't get a contract if things aren't perfect ... but you'll get it if you write machine-perfect trendy, formulaic vacuous tripe that resonates with people raised on a diet of self absorbed reality TV and Facebook "everyday celebrities".

We're increasingly throwing the baby out with the bathwater (the bathwater being the excesses of endless soloing and the pretension of pre-punk prog). Middle ground, anyone?

Some great responses guys, made me laugh big time, so worth exposing you all to it.

Just one of those parodies I mentioned, 'apparently' *wink wink* the song is a cover of a Bob Dylan song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FISHEO3gsM

One of the top rated comments,

"Guys, this is obviously a song about the different paths in life. The “front seat” refers to rushing at everything, with no thoughts of the consequences. The “back seat” refers to sitting back and contemplating your choices. As a result, you make wiser choices, but your life lacks the excitement it would have if you took the front seat. He has to make up his mind, but he doesn’t have time to make up his mind; he only has time to contemplate his choices after they’ve passed.

So deep"

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Good music will come back. People are just so excited by how easy it is to record music these days...hopefully it'll wear off.

Well, she is from the generation of "you're all winners", so I'm not surprised she's upset. As for the song, it's everything that is wrong with modern music. From inane lyrics, "by committee" music to autotune, its all there.

It's true, all this crap about every kid gets a trophy is ruining kids and making them think they deserve something for nothing. The fact that she's being paid makes me more upset, and makes me want to start a disney pop band. That's how you get rich, all that hard work is for suckers, apparently.

Sorry I went a little crazy there.

BJW42.png

bwahahaha!! ^

As for the crying thing, if she can't handle the criticism, maybe she shouldn't be posting on the Internet. It's a pretty unforgiving place...

-Jonathan

There have been many songs in the past with vacuous lyrics.

There have been many songs with weak melodies.

There have been many songs performed with almost zero human element or feel.

There have been many songs with an array of ugly sounds.

There have been many songs that are obviously and cynically designed for no other reason than to make money.

This song just happens to be the archetype for blending these "attributes". As Matt would say, it's an artificial music-like product.

... sold by the blind to please the deaf, dumb and stupid.

Welcome to the new world MWUHAHAHAHA ... all you need is $2k and a profound disregard for all the wonderful art created throughout history.

yikes that is bad, surely only meant to appeal to kids...and maybe a few adults...in diapers. I always thought joan jett's " I love rock n' roll" was the worst song ever... I think I'll sit down at the mixer and mash " safety dance, with it's friday" that will be a stew no one could stomach.

Well if her mother paid for it. it's both the worst song ever and worst present ever!

Sadly, us wittering on about it means she'll probably end up with a career doing something off the fame that this video has provided her with. I actually feel sorry for the girl - not because she's crying at the comments, the comments are deserved, but because she's probably now going to live a vacuous and sheltered life now that she might be 'made' already.

As Matt would say, it's an artificial music-like product.

Matt often has a good turn of phrase.....and when it comes to this song, I'm of no mind to disagree with him. Just heard it......wish I hadn't. Sorry Drum, I'll take the bloody Safety Dance anyday of the week.....hats or not.

Still, there's been many before it and there's many to come. To quote the guy in Amadeus, "I've never heard such music!"

In the 1980s we had The Reynolds Girls with a track called "I'd Rather Jack"

It was produced by three men called Stock, Aitken & Waterman who traded under the title "The Hit Factory" (obviously an S in there has been missed out).

The lyrics were genius, telling of the disdain of the girls listening to music when they wanted to just dance... here they are:

All we wanna do is have a good time
Then you went and took our house away
No-one ever asked for our opinion
No, no, we don't get a say

AM, FM, all that jazz
We'd rather sing along with Yazz
What happened to the radio?
They never play the songs we know

Golden oldies, Rolling Stones, we don't want them back
I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac
No heavy metal, rock'n'roll, music from the past

I'd rather jack

Can't they see that every generation
Has music for its own identity?
But why the DJ on the radio station
Is always more than twice the age of me?

Who needs Pink Floyd, Dire Straits?
That's not our music, it's out of date
Demographic stereo

I'd rather jack, I'd rather jack

AM, FM, all that jazz
We'd rather sing along with Yazz
What happened to the radio?

Utter crap and the vid was even worse.

Matt often has a good turn of phrase.....and when it comes to this song, I'm of no mind to disagree with him. Just heard it......wish I hadn't. Sorry Drum, I'll take the bloody Safety Dance anyday of the week.....hats or not.

Still, there's been many before it and there's many to come. To quote the guy in Amadeus, "I've never heard such music!"

Well, that was the point. Not that the Safety Dance is or is not worse, just that we have always had really bad songs as part of popular culture.

Although I suppose this song does win by virtue that it required no talent to make. No instruments, no attempt to sing in key, all computer manipulation.

Back