Traded DW for Tama

BlakeN70

Yep I traded my DW Collectors kit for a brand new Tama Starclassic B/B kit. I just could not get the sound I was wanting from the DWs. The Starclassic kit I love. I have Aquarian Force Ten heads on the toms and they are really deeeep but still have a lot of projection.

Attachments

• 1157569_183173965198805_230395951_n.jpg
    1157569_183173965198805_230395951_n.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 574
  • 1175698_183174151865453_2033081895_n.jpg
    1175698_183174151865453_2033081895_n.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 539
They are very nice drums and the BB shells are known for their warmth.

Congrats....but now,you may have to change your avatar.:)

Steve B

I really like the B/B's. Beautiful kit you have there. If I was in the market for a new kit, the B/B's are probably the first kit I would check out. Enjoy your new drums!

I recall doing something like that. But it was more like, "I can't get these DW's to do anything. I'll trade them for ANYTHING!"

;)

Lol Bo. As a DW owner, I think Tama makes a better sounding drum.

That was a very good trade Blake. The BB's are definitely a step up from the Collectors. Though, I do think that DW is making some better sounding drums in the Classic and Jazz series drums.

What's the name of that finish??? I used to have a Starclassic Performer (all birch) in Walnut and they looked almost identical.
Congrats!! Tama is awesome

To be honest, before Camco became DW - I loved the sound of those drums. Bermuda later filled me in that Camco drums were actually made from Jasper shells. Maybe DW just needs to outsource their shells from Jasper ;)

That was a very good trade Blake. The BB's are definitely a step up from the Collectors. Though, I do think that DW is making some better sounding drums in the Classic and Jazz series drums.

+1.
As the former owner of a Collectors kit , current DW Jazz kit owner and almost Tama BB owner, I agree. Different wood layup, different edges, no re-rings, die cast hoops, etc etc = magic.

I hate having to bring this up so often but ...and this is just my opinion and experience...but any DW owner would do really well to take ALL DW crimped heads, top and bottom, and burn them. Then , outfit with Remo, Evans or Aquarians to taste and - you have a whole different ball game. I swear this alone is at least half of the reason many people dismiss Collectors drums.
The DW stock heads do low pitch, short thuddy sounds well. That is all. They just aren't good heads IMNSHO.

To the OP: beautiful kit, congrats.

Neal

Last edited:
That looks similar to the finish on my Tamas... Black fading to scarlet red in my case. I think those lacquer fades look really nice.

Back