Derek Roddy here!

Here's another video for you guys.....sounds much better. This is a mashup video of some Nader Sadek songs filmed during our rehearsals for the Mexico dates in April 2016.
There is no editing and these are just raw audio tracks.

Individual songs are available at my websites

www.derekroddyslive.com

Cheers,
D

Last edited:
Hi Derek, got a question I'd like to ask your and the others opinion on. I’ve been playing for several years now, but only in the past year have I started playing double bass. I should probably also mention I’m a lefty playing openhanded on a righthanded kit. Anyway,I noticed on double bass runs, be it straight 16ths, triplets, or any kind of patterns, if I led with my right foot, the runs would be choppy and uneven most of the time. If I lead with my left foot though, usually it’s clearer and smoother. It works the same with 16ths on the hihat.Choppy starting righthanded, smooth starting lefthanded. My question is, should I just try to become entirely ambidextrous, switch my kit to lefty, or something else?

P.S. you're badass and an inspiration dude

Hi Derek, got a question I'd like to ask your and the others opinion on. I’ve been playing for several years now, but only in the past year have I started playing double bass. I should probably also mention I’m a lefty playing openhanded on a righthanded kit. Anyway,I noticed on double bass runs, be it straight 16ths, triplets, or any kind of patterns, if I led with my right foot, the runs would be choppy and uneven most of the time. If I lead with my left foot though, usually it’s clearer and smoother. It works the same with 16ths on the hihat.Choppy starting righthanded, smooth starting lefthanded. My question is, should I just try to become entirely ambidextrous, switch my kit to lefty, or something else?

P.S. you're badass and an inspiration dude

Cheers man,

I've always been of the opinion that drummers shouldn't "change" their approach, etc. Just be yourself and work with what you can do.
So, changing your kit, righty, lefty...really all irrelevant to actual playing and getting better.
I've found that a lot of time drummers spend too much time on 'researching", "changing", etc takes time from actually doing the work.

Which in your case seems to be a balance issue in which your weak leg has been a human kickstand for the strong side of your body.

I would practice using your weaker foot/side more often. Like when you're playing a long to CD's etc....if you can execute what you need to make the song work with your weaker foot......you should be doing it. Same with your hands.

Should help a lot.

D

Damn dude you're like a hummingbird. I also note it doesn't look like you are even building up a sweat. You must be a runner or into some kind of regular exercise to have the stamina and endurance without a sweat? I use to be a 10 mile a day runner man (I thought I was Forrest Gump-I got addicted replacing another addiction)-I went on a mountain climb with my wife and a group and I was the only one who made it to the top dry-everyone else was soaking wet.

Cheers man,

I've always been of the opinion that drummers shouldn't "change" their approach, etc. Just be yourself and work with what you can do.
So, changing your kit, righty, lefty...really all irrelevant to actual playing and getting better.
I've found that a lot of time drummers spend too much time on 'researching", "changing", etc takes time from actually doing the work.

Which in your case seems to be a balance issue in which your weak leg has been a human kickstand for the strong side of your body.

I would practice using your weaker foot/side more often. Like when you're playing a long to CD's etc....if you can execute what you need to make the song work with your weaker foot......you should be doing it. Same with your hands.

Should help a lot.

D

Thanks a lot man I really appreciate the help!

Hey Derek I know has been covered before, but I thought I'd ask anyway and get your advice, because I really need help. My max range on double bass is 16ths is about 110 bpm. I can hit 120, but I'm all over the place when I do. Accidental flamming, my feet are sliding all over the pedals, and it's just really hard to keep the tempo for more than a couple of measures. What is your opinion on this? Basically, I need to increase speed and control, but I'm not sure of the best way of doing it. I would eventually like to get up to extreme metal speeds, at 200+ bpm, plus broken double bass patterns as in Lamb of God and Meshuggah. I know this can take months, years, etc., to get up to, but I want to at least get on the right track for it. Thanks for any and all help

Hey Derek I know has been covered before, but I thought I'd ask anyway and get your advice, because I really need help. My max range on double bass is 16ths is about 110 bpm. I can hit 120, but I'm all over the place when I do. Accidental flamming, my feet are sliding all over the pedals, and it's just really hard to keep the tempo for more than a couple of measures. What is your opinion on this? Basically, I need to increase speed and control, but I'm not sure of the best way of doing it. I would eventually like to get up to extreme metal speeds, at 200+ bpm, plus broken double bass patterns as in Lamb of God and Meshuggah. I know this can take months, years, etc., to get up to, but I want to at least get on the right track for it. Thanks for any and all help

I'm not anywhere near Derek's skills but something I heard always stuck with me: You're only as fast as your slowest foot.

Bamadrummer88: Have you been reading the earlier pages in this thread? On page 2 there is a lot of discussion about technique. All through the pages of this thread, is a lot of good info and links to Dbl. kick playing. But you'll need to look for it.

I'm not anywhere near Derek's skills but something I heard always stuck with me: You're only as fast as your slowest foot.

That seems obvious enough, yet it wasn't until about 2 years into my double bass playing that it occurred to me to practice one foot at a time, rather than always practicing alternating LRLR. By working intensely on one foot at a time, my double bass speed increased dramatically. It just suddenly felt like much less work.

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Derek- hope you are having an awesome day!

Back