Votes: 34 6.6%
  • Semi-Pro - I have another job and I play my drums for money

Votes: 196 38.0%
  • Hobbyist - I play my drums strictly for my own enjoyment

Votes: 250 48.4%
  • Student- Pro - I'm in school but I still play gigs

Votes: 36 7.0%

• Total voters
Doc, as drummers I wonder how many of our relatively brilliant moments at gigs are noticed by audiences anyway, and even if they are noticed, how much are they remembered?

It was great in my teens and 20s bringing original material to the public at a time when the bar scene was buzzing. Not the same to be an old fart at a time where most venues turned into little gambling houses and most bands out there are playing covers. I'm happy to pass on the baton to Gen Next :)

who cares how many noticed. the good make it look easy anyway. it's all about giving up your vital juices. if they don't know then they needs to know.

OMG it's more important that they feel it anyway than that they notate a brilliant moment in time. just rock em. that's your (my) job.

now i'm not saying i'm a 300 gig a year well into my 70's type gigster at all. truth be known, i'd rather sleep in my own bed at the end of the night. but if for 1 weekend a month i can drop the super heavy THANG YOU NEED on somebody, then so shall it be if i am at all able.

not to mention occasionally running into the like-minded.

but on the personal human real world side of things...i think it's a darned shame that a drummer of your awesomacity is so unconcerned about whether you do or you don't. on an ideal planet, you would extend your world tour, come to america and be my drummer.

as all encompassingly well rounded as an artist as you are....haven't you heard anything that made you think Corr...i'd like in on that ...

Last edited:
How come I keep seeing this thread has having a new recent post, but when I click on it, all I see is the same last post from many days ago?

Oh, well, here is a new last post!

How come I keep seeing this thread has having a new recent post, but when I click on it, all I see is the same last post from many days ago?

Oh, well, here is a new last post!

I'm thinking that whenever someone votes it moves to the top again. Just a thought anyway.

I used to only want to be a hobbyist, but then I later started getting into bands. So now I'm a student that gigs with a band, possibly two soon.

Update!

I fit into the space under the sink! My girl said that it couldn't be done, and that I was an idiot, but I sure proved her wrong!

I couldn't find the option in the poll, but felt you guys should know where I fit, too.

I'm a solid 2. In my twenties, I wanted to be a 1, but now with a family, 2 is a much more appealing place to be. My hope is to stay there until I get too old to do it anymore.

Where would "I play enjoyable gigs for money" fit in? I don't need the money, but I expect to get paid. Since I don't need the gig for the money, I gig where it's musically enjoyable. As I get better, I hope the enjoyment factor goes up and playing better with better people at better gigs should be more money. But even if it isn't, I'll do a $50 with people I like playing stuff I like, but turn down the $100 gig with the self styled rawk stahs and drama queens. If I had to support myself with music, then a gig's a gig. And I've been there. It's nice to have options.

I started out as a pro (when I was much younger) then got married/job/family and played out on weekends. These days I do it for myself, but am still looking to form an internet band.

So, I'm a hobbyist with high hopes.

Currently hobbyist. I was in a band that got paid for gigs a while back and toured a bit, so maybe at that point I was semi-pro?
I'm hoping to be semi-pro again at some point.
If I could do it all again, I'd aim to be a pro musician!...

I will always be a student. Drumming is my #1 hobby. I do play several gigs for money and teach a few lessons for money. However it is just supplemental income. I would call myself a happy #2 that only wants to be a #1 if fame is involved. I don't want my favorite hobby to be my job unless I am driving a lambo. I used to want to be a #1 at all costs. But I only think about being a good husband and financially stable.

Proof of the hypothesis!

Aeolian's post was 3 days ago but this thread keeps returning to near the top and qualifies as a "New Post" :)

Yeah... 133 replies in this thread, but 189 voters... more votes than replies, this explaining that...

I guess I voted a long time ago and it won't let me change my vote. But I've been at #2 for almost a year now. One day I'd like to try out being at #1.

Back