Flat sounding tom.

D Money

So I just ordered new Remo Pinstripe drum heads and new Evans Reso heads. My 12 inch tom is sounding extremely flat with no depth at all. But my 13 inch tom sounds really good and has a full sound. I just cant get the 12 inch tom to sound full and not flat (the reso head is also flat). I have heard to tune your reso head higher or lower than the batter head, but how higher or lower? If anyone has any tips as to help me with my drum crisis, I will be happy to hear! Thank you.

I used to think that my 12" tom did not have the sustain and projection that my other toms did. I've been told that it sounds great from out front, though. I use Evans EC2's over G1's. I just go with what sounds best to the audience.

try tuning both heads to about 150hz

you will get more sustain the closer the pitches are together

if you don't like that try tuning the reso head 10 to 20 hz higher than the batter

Pinstripes are going to sound dead or flat in any event. Maybe if you tune it up pretty high. Larger toms tend to ring more so the muffling may not sound as dead. But smaller toms naturally have less sustain, especially when tuned for a low wet sound. Matching pitches on the reso will help, but non damped heads will help more. Mixing damped and undamped heads gets tricky though. I think it's easier to use all undamped heads and control the sustain by tuning the reso higher. Less so on smaller toms and a 4th or so on larger toms to balance out the sustain.

My 12" was the same....I used remo coated amps,emps,and also tried vintage,the sound was flat...It was suggested to me to try clear heads top and bottom,that brought it back to life. my 13 and 16 I use coated emps top, clear amps bottom,no muffling...sounds alive to me

Pinstripes are going to sound dead or flat in any event.

This is the main problem. The other thing to consider is the type of drums you're playing. Pinstripes are more problematic with the best professional level shells. They are like putting studded snow tires on a Ferrarri. With entry level kits, they tend to mask things like wavy bearing edges and shells that are out-of-round because they are so dead.

Agreed about Pinstripes...if this still persists after trying different heads, take your rims and heads off and gently place the shell on a hard very flat surface. Shine a flashlight into the shell and take notice if any light comes through the bearing edge. Hopefully not the case.

Agreed about Pinstripes...if this still persists after trying different heads, take your rims and heads off and gently place the shell on a hard very flat surface. Shine a flashlight into the shell and take notice if any light comes through the bearing edge. Hopefully not the case.

Check the hoop to. If the hoop is bent your head will never be in tune. You can place the hoop on top of a table. Grab a piece of wood. Place it across the hoop and use one hand to hold the hoop down with the wood and the other hand to "tune" the hoop back into shape on the corner of the table by applying pressure to the hoop in a downward motion with your hand. Use small motions when calibrating the hoop.

Back