DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Arthritis

So Yesterday was my 46th birthday and now that I'm on the downhill side to 50 I'm falling apart. I think I'm developing arthritis in the joint of my left index finger. It's been sore for weeks now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. I do have some arthritis in my knees, had some scraped off last year during my surgery to remove some loose cartilage,and there's a family history of arthritis in the hands. It seems to hurt most while I'm practicing rudiments and such which could be partly a grip problem....I tend to be more relaxed when just playing fr fun or even rehearsing with the band. But either way, it's constantly sore, even when not playing.

So I guess I'm just asking if anyone else deals with this and what you do about it? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Arthritis

Omegas....Help me so much I forget I have the soreness ...I eat salmon 3...4 times a week....
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
So I guess I'm just asking if anyone else deals with this and what you do about it? Thanks!
61 years old. Construction work all my life. Play softball 2 or 3 times a week and play with my band mates about 8 hours a week.

It's supposed to hurt :)

My advice is to go between to ignoring it and complaining about it. That's what I do anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

Lets put it this way, I cant spin my sticks anymore :(
Its no fun getting old.
I take some Ibuprofen about an hour before I gig.
I also take Glucosamine daily.
My knees are the biggest problem that I have.
At a Jazz gig my left knee begins to ache from constantly clicking the hats on 2&4 if I dont take the pain reliever.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I have posted this before but one thing I noticed to help relieve pain in the hands is to loosen the head on the snare drum a bit when practicing and watch the use of practice pads. They can be vey unforgiving. For gigs or recording, tighten it back up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

A Dr. or physiotherapist may be able to advise you, but the most important thing I have found is to keep moving, if it really is arthritis.

If you have some other kind of repetitive injury, you may need to rest it.

I have found, as I've gotten older, I get all kinds of weird pains that crop up. Some go away in a day or two, some hang around for weeks or months. If something bothers me for a long, long time I go and find out what it is.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Can't remember if you have a teacher or not. You can work on different grips and make sure your technique isn't working against you. One of the reasons I backed away from guitar and started concentrated on drums (which until a couple of years ago was just something I did subbing on the side for fun) was that my hands were really beginning to hurt. I would run hot water over them before the gig and every break. Went to the doctor and they did various therapies but it was affecting my playing and getting frustrating. One thing with drums is that there are many ways to swing the stick and hit the drum. I played trad grip for 20 years but switched to match a few years ago to get more on top of the backbeat. But I will still switch back for some things and if my hand starts bothering me. Same with the right hand, French, American, German, between my first two fingers, whatever works. Index finger out and fulcrum on the middle finger, the Tony Williams hold it firm with the back fingers and use the wrists. Keep changing it up and no one part gets abused.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

In addition to discovering a slight carpal tunnel condition I have, I've noticed that I tend to get tendonitis everywhere, not just in my hands. My doctor is working with me on that in the form of proper stretches (which also helps with the carpal tunnel, keeping it better at bay than anything else), and the occasional use of ibuprofen (he prescribed the maximum 800mg dosage that I try not to take regularly) and eating healthier (some foods promote certain arthritis' like gout so you want to watch that). I also have a chiropractor I see regularly and that's been very helpful for the last 15 years.

But I would say it probably has nothing to do with your drumming at this time. You haven't been playing long enough. I would think it's just us getting older and slight changes need to be made in how we live. For me it was stretching and eating right, I'm definitely on the path of changing my diet, but I still enjoy a good burger or pizza like anybody else, just no longer as much. See your doctor and see what he has to say. What your describing sounds like a bit of tendonitis and maybe not arthritis yet.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Hmmmm, I think the advice about changing technique is spot on, you can also buy sticks these days specifically made for people with arthritus and carpel tunnel. reduces the shock.

It depends on how bad your arthritus is as to how much it affects you. I hear some people mention they have it in one knee or something and thatbtey 'just soldier on' and I feel sorry for them as in time it'll get worse and they'll have a rude awakening when they realise there are varying degrees of arthritus and that they are not actuslly as tough as they thought...

Don't just soldier on, work around your body, keep it moving but don't stubbornly try to ski uphill or you will end up making it worse.

I'd also avoid NSAID's too if you're offered. They cause more trouble thsn they are worth.

I have arthritus in my whole body as a nice little gift from having Crohn's disease sonce I was a child, over the years my nerves have become shot andbI hsve fibro myalgia so, the pain will never go away.
Along wth possible drug induced liver disease from a lifetime on prescription drugs and chronic fatigue! lol.

I'm maxedbout on morphine based painkillers and also nerve based ones and again, if I may, I'd advise you stay off them if you can manage because you'll never bebthe same again.
You'll become hooked fornlife, your personality will change somewhat, your lifestyle massively and you could lose your job due to becoming too unreliable/functional.
The poison chalice tastes great so, just don't taste it!

Definitely do what others have said with vitamins, omega fish oils, cod liver oil, glucosamine, calcium, vit d, sea kelp (great) and many others.
Treat you body well, eat good, plenty fluids and stretching, various times during the day.

Even after all of this after a long sesh on the kit my hands swell beyond belief and I'm like a shaky dog, body hurts all over.
Hot bath when I get in and often hot baths on the morning to loosen me up.

Never found an ointment that works ever so, don't waste your money.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
61 years old. Construction work all my life. Play softball 2 or 3 times a week and play with my band mates about 8 hours a week.

It's supposed to hurt :)

My advice is to go between to ignoring it and complaining about it. That's what I do anyway.
I am 38 and it runs in my family. Just about the same schedule as you, construction work but no softball (kids instead) and ignoring it sounds like a dumb thing to say to a person who is new to it but it is the reality unless you want to take more pills or get shots or something. I agree with ignoring it part and I actually feel better once I work a little and loosen up so for me its almost worse because I dont want to stop doing the very thing that causes the arthur in the first place.

My father used to get shots of some gold solution in his joints, took naproxyn, aleve, anything you can imagine. I would suggest avoiding this route, practice ignoring the pain, and most importantly, make sure your grip is relaxed and comfortable. Much of the hand use in construction is very similar to drumming believe it or not. Lots of finger strength, wrist and arm motion, vibration and impact that can all add up to problems.

The only other thought I have would be some gloves or tape to reduce the vibration you are feeling. Maybe a thicker or thinner set of stick would help too but I think the relaxed grip would the the most important thing to get down.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone, several good ideas here. Im already working on the diet...1500 calories a day right now and more veggies to start with. I have NSAIDS from my knee but like chunky said, I'm trying to stay away from them.

I don't believe this is because of my drumming...I just notice it more then, Someone mentioned the practice pad being hard on joints and that makes sense...it does hurt more on the harder surfaces. If it continues, I'll have my Doc check it out but I'm still paying off last years surgery so trying to avoid more co-pays and costs of X-rays, etc right now...moneys tight. I'll give the glucosamine a try. I take ibuprofen when needed but try not to take it too often.

I know this isn't a huge problem to have compared to others...just trying to head things off at the pass. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

I have Arthritis in my hands and knees. The impact to drumming is when I play traditional grip. There are days when I can and days I can't. This particular issue has affected some drummers over the years which is why they ended up playing matched grip all the time. Max Roach comes to mind up front but there are others.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Gold Member

I have RSI in a couple of fingers caused by a lifetime using a mouse or driving (keeping grip of the wheel).

The pain became a lot more pronounced when I got back to drumming. So much so that my right hand would lose grip of the sticks very easily...almost going numb (hard to explain). I'd end up playing some of our fast songs with the stick gripped like I was holding an axe or something by the end of the song...not ideal.

Tried those Gig Grips a couple of months back...totally transformed my playing. Unfortunately I do snap sticks as a result of bad practice so have to always bear that in mind. But one of these gig gips on my right centre figure, loosely, has made a massive amount of difference for me personally.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Gig grips? Hmmm never heard of them, must check these out.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm a big home remedy advocate and early in the year I stumbled across something on the internet that has helped be tremendously with my stiffness. I had some pretty major stiffness going on

The backstory. A guy who worked with plants found out through trials and tribulations that the element boron is responsible for the calcium regulation in plants. Now arthritis has a lot to do with calcium. He decided to experiment on himself to see if added boron in his diet was able to help with his own stiffness, and it did.

Artificial fertilizers...block the uptake of natural boron in the soil. Since most of the food you eat is artificially fertilized, out diet is boron deficient. In areas of the world where boron is abundant in the soil, the arthritis rate is stupid low. Isreal is an example.

After reading this, I decided to attempt adding boron to my diet. I read that I should be feeling the difference in as little as 2 weeks. Boron removes calcium from your joints and re-deposits it back to your bones and teeth. Well, for me, it worked like a charm. Clearly, within 2 weeks, my stiffness had majorly lessened, and after 3 months, it has majorly improved my quality of life. You are supposed to do some everyday for a few months, then cut back to small maintenance doses.

My source of boron is, get this, is 20 mule team borax, the stuff you buy in the laundry aisle. Now borax is not a lab chemical, it is a naturally occurring element. They scrape if off dried lake beds in California and Turkey and sell it pretty much as it occurs. It has about he same toxicity as salt, actually a bit less. It is essentially food grade right out of the box. Borax has about 11% boron by weight in it. I took 1/4 teaspoon in water once a day for 3 months, and then about once a week for maintenance after my stiffness cleared up. I started noticing improvements in a week. It has a sweetish taste to it, not delicious, but not revolting at all.

But don't take my word for it, Google borax, arthritis and read all about it. It helped me tremendously. Your doctor won't tell you this stuff. Borax is banned in parts of the EU and Austrailia according to what I read. Gee I wonder why? Easy cures are not on the agenda of the multinationals.

You might think I'm wacky, and I am a little, but I'm telling you it worked on me exactly like they say. Check into it.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I stumbled across something on the internet that has helped be tremendously with my stiffness. I had some pretty major stiffness going on

The backstory. A guy who worked with plants found out through trials and tribulations that the element boron is responsible for the calcium regulation in plants. Now arthritis has a lot to do with calcium. He decided to experiment on himself to see if added boron in his diet was able to help with his own stiffness, and it did.

Artificial fertilizers...block the uptake of natural boron in the soil. Since most of the food you eat is artificially fertilized, out diet is boron deficient. In areas of the world where boron is abundant in the soil, the arthritis rate is stupid low. Isreal is an example.

After reading this, I decided to attempt adding boron to my diet. I read that I should be feeling the difference in as little as 2 weeks. Boron removes calcium from your joints and re-deposits it back to your bones and teeth. Well, for me, it worked like a charm. Clearly, within 2 weeks, my stiffness had majorly lessened, and after 3 months, it has majorly improved my quality of life. You are supposed to do some everyday for a few months, then cut back to small maintenance doses.

My source of boron is, get this, is 20 mule team borax, the stuff you buy in the laundry aisle. Now borax is not a lab chemical, it is a naturally occurring element. They scrape if off dried lake beds in California and Turkey. It has about he same toxicity as salt, actually a bit less. It is essentially food grade right out of the box. Borax has about 11% boron by weight in it. I took 1/4 teaspoon in water once a day for 3 months, and then about once a week for maintenance after my stiffness cleared up. I started noticing improvements in a week. It has a sweetish taste to it, not revolting at all.

But don't take my word for it, Google borax, arthritis and read all about it. It helped me tremendously. Your doctor won't tell you this stuff. Borax is banned in parts of the EU and Austrailia according to what I read. Gee I wonder why? Easy cures are not on the agenda of the multinationals.

You might think I'm wacky, and I am a little, but I'm telling you it worked on me exactly like they say. Check into it.
This sounds great! I've never heard of it before but, I'm going to give it a go, thanks!

Yeah, the FDA ruled hat no natural remesy can be a cure/medication. '
'cos they can't own it and make lots of money from it basically so it doesn't really suprise me that this is unheard of.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Stay away from the conventional medical establishment. Most only treat pain with dangerous drugs and unnecessary surgery. Could be diet, allergies and you could use a visit to a competent chiropractor who knows trigger point muscle therapy.

Call Dr. James Winer and take a trip to this area. He'll get you better for sure (412-922-9355). No bull, straight shooter. Or ask his office for a referral in your area. You don't have to put up with pain. Find the cause and get rid of it. Dealing with the pain only will never cure the problem. Drugs, shots, it's all a crazy expensive game that solves nothing.

Class dismissed. Good luck :)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Three years ago I couldn't button a shirt, remove the cap from a jar, walk up and down stairs, and yes, hold a drumstick. I'm barely older than you.

No BS. Six months after I began eating an anti-inflammatory diet, about 80-90 percent of the pain and stiffness waned, and the swelling was reduced significantly.

The concept is simple: eat mostly foods that will drive your metabolism alkaline, and reduce/avoid foods (and drugs) that will drive the organism (you) acidic.

The execution is less simple. Be prepared to spend lots of time in the kitchen. Stay away from muscle tissue, organ meat, dairy products, coffee, most grains, all sugars, beans, most tree nuts, alcohol, and NSAIDs. You would need to eat lots of brassicas, seeds, fruits, roots, green tea, apple cider vinegar, ginger, tumeric, coconut, almonds, cashews, lentils, oats, wild rice, quinoa, nightshades, and others.

Please read the above paragraph again.

There is a book called [u]The Acid Alkaline Food Guide[u] by Dr. Susan E. Brown and Larry Trivieri that has been useful to me. Working with a naturopath would help as you may need dietary supplements and some blood testing, especially in the beginning.

As a side note, my energy levels have improved, my seasonal allergies have subsided, and I've been less prone to colds and the like since I began eating this way.

The benefits far outweigh the "sacrifices".

I wish you well.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm a big home remedy advocate and early in the year I stumbled across something on the internet that has helped be tremendously with my stiffness. I had some pretty major stiffness going on

My source of boron is, get this, is 20 mule team borax, the stuff you buy in the laundry aisle. Now borax is not a lab chemical, it is a naturally occurring element. They scrape if off dried lake beds in California and Turkey and sell it pretty much as it occurs. It has about he same toxicity as salt, actually a bit less. It is essentially food grade right out of the box. Borax has about 11% boron by weight in it. I took 1/4 teaspoon in water once a day for 3 months, and then about once a week for maintenance after my stiffness cleared up. I started noticing improvements in a week. It has a sweetish taste to it, not delicious, but not revolting at all.

I'm going to give this a go Larry. I have rheumatoid arthritis and while I do use medically prescribed drugs for this, I'm willing to give anything a go as it is very debilitating. If I turn green I'm gonna hunt you down though ;-) And johnnylaw, I admire your tenacity for moving to such a restricted diet, but given the choice, I'll have a go with Larry's "drinking toilet cleaner" remedy first. No offence!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:

And he now smells Laundry Fresh
Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I would feel the stiffness in my weight bearing joints, mostly my hips. Luckily my knees and hands are unaffected. Typically, after driving an hour home from work for example, when I would get up out of my truck and walk, it would take me like 20 feet before I would straighten up all the way, and I would be noticeably stiff. Now I hop right out of my truck and walk normally almost immediately. I would say it took 85% of the stiffness away. I notice that when I would go a few weeks without taking any borax that the stiffness would start to return. It would remind me to drink a 1/4 teaspoon in water for a few days, and I would return to normal.

BTW, the borax remedy is nothing new. Old timers will tell you to keep arthritis in check, wet your fingertip, put it in borax and lick it off every so often.

BTW, johnnylaw, totally agree with your entire post. The body needs to be slightly alkaline, a 7.2 PH reading is ideal. What you wrote is spot on. Unfortunately, all the good tasting stuff is acidic lol. Good for you for having the strength to alter your diet and reap the benefits

Plants and people can be compared to a certain extent. When a plant is sick, do you give it a drug? No, you add what is lacking in it's soil, or diet.

There's home remedys for almost everything out there and I for one have benefited a lot from seeking out that kind of info. You have to be an advocate for your own health because no one else is.

Athletes foot for example. How many people buy an anti fungal? Not necessary. All you have to do is spray apple cider vinegar on your toes and feet. It changes the PH of the skin and the athlete's foot fungus can't survive. It safe natural, and best of all stupid cheap. Do you think your doctor will tell you that? Shame on them for not doing so. I wash my hair with baking soda and water, it doesn't strip the oils, and again, it's safe and cheap and better for you hair than shampoos. Every time you use anti perspirant, you are adding aluminum to your body. There's a whole slew of stuff people do that...there's a much better way.

You have to watch what you put on your skin and in your mouth like a hawk if you don't want to slowly pollute your body.

Borax did wonders for my joint stiffness.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
And he now smells Laundry Fresh
Go ahead, make fun, it's cool. Everybody usually dismisses it anyway because it sounds wacky. I don't care, their loss. Worked for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

I have it in both hands and knees (65 here)...have severe gout too (a crippling form of arthritis that begins in the big toe and advances to both feet and both knees....that's the kind I now have)...

Before a gig I always take 2 Ibuprofen. It's necessary for me to be able to play.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Go ahead, make fun, it's cool. Everybody usually dismisses it anyway because it sounds wacky. I don't care, their loss. Worked for me.
I'm looking forward to it- and if what you say about deodourant is correct, and I have no reason to doubt you, smelling laundry fresh will be an added bonus!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I think of it like salt. My body needs salt too. Too much salt is toxic, just like too much of anything is toxic. But it is an essential mineral, boron. I just got done taking my weekly dose. Quality of life definitely improved. Bending over to pick up something I dropped used to be a chore, now, there is no resistance.

I also brush my teeth with baking soda and rinse w/ peroxide, then water. Really whitens the teeth. No toothpaste whitens teeth like baking soda. It won't scratch your enamel either. Home remedies rule in my household.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Incredibly interesting that...

I never knew.

Do you think the same effect would be seen in dogs ?? No reason to think you'd know this, just wondering ?

I would love to help my 14 year old, arthritic, Border Collie out with her back legs.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Incredibly interesting that...

I never knew.

Do you think the same effect would be seen in dogs ?? No reason to think you'd know this, just wondering ?

I would love to help my 14 year old, arthritic, Border Collie out with her back legs.
I would have thought it was a no brainer. I'd give it a go, it's unlikely to make things worse. I got a small quantity to try with on Amazon.co.uk of all places.

Update- you might want to check, but I found a post that states it can damage dogs' livers....

And then there is this- http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

Last edited by bigiainw; 06-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would feel the stiffness in my weight bearing joints, mostly my hips. Luckily my knees and hands are unaffected. Typically, after driving an hour home from work for example, when I would get up out of my truck and walk, it would take me like 20 feet before I would straighten up all the way, and I would be noticeably stiff. Now I hop right out of my truck and walk normally almost immediately. I would say it took 85% of the stiffness away. I notice that when I would go a few weeks without taking any borax that the stiffness would start to return. It would remind me to drink a 1/4 teaspoon in water for a few days, and I would return to normal.

BTW, the borax remedy is nothing new. Old timers will tell you to keep arthritis in check, wet your fingertip, put it in borax and lick it off every so often.

BTW, johnnylaw, totally agree with your entire post. The body needs to be slightly alkaline, a 7.2 PH reading is ideal. What you wrote is spot on. Unfortunately, all the good tasting stuff is acidic lol. Good for you for having the strength to alter your diet and reap the benefits

Plants and people can be compared to a certain extent. When a plant is sick, do you give it a drug? No, you add what is lacking in it's soil, or diet.

There's home remedys for almost everything out there and I for one have benefited a lot from seeking out that kind of info. You have to be an advocate for your own health because no one else is.

Athletes foot for example. How many people buy an anti fungal? Not necessary. All you have to do is spray apple cider vinegar on your toes and feet. It changes the PH of the skin and the athlete's foot fungus can't survive. It safe natural, and best of all stupid cheap. Do you think your doctor will tell you that? Shame on them for not doing so. I wash my hair with baking soda and water, it doesn't strip the oils, and again, it's safe and cheap and better for you hair than shampoos. Every time you use anti perspirant, you are adding aluminum to your body. There's a whole slew of stuff people do that...there's a much better way.

You have to watch what you put on your skin and in your mouth like a hawk if you don't want to slowly pollute your body.

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information, Uncle Larry!

I would love to hear more about your remedies and how they have helped you. Maybe start a "home remedy/arthritis" sticky as often as the subject comes up on here...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 PM

lots of great suggestions/advise already... I'll add my 2 cents - I'm 56 and gig 2-4 times a week on average. A few years back I noticed increased stiffness/pain in my hands after gigs, started doing the ibuprofen before gigs and that helped but I also started experimenting with larger sticks (going from 5B to 3A/2B)...

the larger sticks really helped in my case. I don't drop as many sticks during gigs, my hands aren't as stiff (if at all) afterwards etc... I also started stretching before playing which I never used to do - google carpal tunnel/arthritis stretches (here's one: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...?printing=true )

Seems to have worked for me!

Best of luck to you!!

Peace,
Mike
Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
Stay away from muscle tissue, organ meat, dairy products, coffee, most grains, all sugars, beans, most tree nuts, alcohol, and NSAIDs. You would need to eat lots of brassicas, seeds, fruits, roots, green tea, apple cider vinegar, ginger, tumeric, coconut, almonds, cashews, lentils, oats, wild rice, quinoa, nightshades, and others.
Avoiding coffee ... not good news. Possible that nightshades' inflammatory qualities could negate any assistance they lend to arthritis? Especially if, like most 50-somethings, arthritis is just one of a number of pains.

Quote:
I've started this today. My thumbs are a mess so I hope it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyboyeee
I also started experimenting with larger sticks (going from 5B to 3A/2B)...

the larger sticks really helped in my case. I don't drop as many sticks during gigs, my hands aren't as stiff (if at all) afterwards
Might try this. I've been using extremely light bamboo 7As of late - might switch to Firth AJ2 sticks which are thick at the bottom but with a strong taper from the shoulder to tip to lighten its attack. The more solid stick might absorb more of the vibrations.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Might try this. I've been using extremely light bamboo 7As of late - might switch to Firth AJ2 sticks which are thick at the bottom but with a strong taper from the shoulder to tip to lighten its attack. The more solid stick might absorb more of the vibrations.
I think you'll be pleased, Grea. Switching to a larger diameter stick has helped my hands a lot.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

There's been much to and fro in the responses, but everybody has missed the most important point here:

Happy birthday Mary!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I should give this a try. Between 8-10 hours a day typing and playing, not to mention all the housework, somedays my joints no longer want to work. I feel like the Tinman in the Wizard of Oz.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
There's been much to and fro in the responses, but everybody has missed the most important point here:

Happy birthday Mary!
Thanks James! It was a good one!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Happy Birthday Mary!

Anyone considering the borax treatment would be wise to stock up on it now, while the getting is good, as it could be removed from public sale with little or no notice. I've got enough for the rest of my life. No one is going to deny me of this immense health benefit. The link that johnnylaw provided is an excellent read on borax and it's many benefits:

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

It sickens me that they want to remove this product from shelves and replace it with a more toxic substitute, like they already did in the EU. Clearly, they are afraid of lost revenue that won't be collected by the medical establishment as a result of your failing bone and joint health. That's criminal by my morals.

Taking borax is one of the ways I flip the bird to the pharmaceutical industry. They would like nothing better than a nation full of arthritic citizens.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Happy Birthday Mary!

Anyone considering the borax treatment would be wise to stock up on it now, while the getting is good, as it could be removed from public sale with little or no notice. I've got enough for the rest of my life. No one is going to deny me of this immense health benefit. The link that johnnylaw provided is an excellent read on borax and it's many benefits:

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

It sickens me that they want to remove this product from shelves and replace it with a more toxic substitute, like they already did in the EU. Clearly, they are afraid of lost revenue that won't be collected by the medical establishment as a result of your failing bone and joint health. That's criminal by my morals.

Taking borax is one of the ways I flip the bird to the pharmaceutical industry. They would like nothing better than a nation full of arthritic citizens.
It was actually my link, but it's no biggie. Still waiting for my supply to arrive. My first time ever taking a medicinal white powder.....
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I think you'll be pleased, Grea. Switching to a larger diameter stick has helped my hands a lot.
I'm at the point with stick sizes that if I go any bigger, I'll need a separate vehicle to carry the sticks!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Here is the MSDS on 20 mule team borax if anyone is interested
https://www.omsi.edu/sites/all/FTP/f...Borax-msds.pdf
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiainw View Post
It was actually my link, but it's no biggie. Still waiting for my supply to arrive. My first time ever taking a medicinal white powder.....

Oops sorry Ian, my bad. That is the link where I got all my info from originally.

I read the MSDS that oldrockdrummer provided. Pretty benign, as long as you don't eat a whole box. Ian I'm really curious to see how your experiences go with this. Please keep me in the loop OK?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM

I'm with you on the index joint pain.I have it in both hands. It seems it gets easier to injure them. I've started tapeing my index and middle finger together when I'm moving gear or just around the house. It helps the index finger from getting tweaked. I hoped this helped.
slate