Buying pedals used

drumr_102

What I should be aware of if I'm buying used?
Are there things on a pedal that don't work as good with age or is buying used a good idea?

Because I've found some good deals on ebay, but don't want to get screwed.

Thanks

I wouldn't buy a used pedal that I couldn't see/adjust in front of me.

I did buy 2 used dw 5000 single pedals those are pretty bullet proof. I just made sure all the adjustments worked and nothing was stripped when I checked them out. If your getting a used double also make sure the drive shaft doesn't have a ton of play or lag in it. Maybe try craigslist first? so you can see/play it in person if your worried about condition via ebay.

I recently purchased several used pedals on e-bay, with great results.
Just be sure you are buying from someone with a good rating and the pictures are of the actual item being offered (not the manufacturer's marketing images).

I wouldn't buy a used pedal that I couldn't see/adjust in front of me.

I did buy 2 used dw 5000 single pedals those are pretty bullet proof. I just made sure all the adjustments worked and nothing was stripped when I checked them out. If your getting a used double also make sure the drive shaft doesn't have a ton of play or lag in it. Maybe try craigslist first? so you can see/play it in person if your worried about condition via ebay.

2nd this. I picked up a used DW 5000 single pedal also. Those things are damn tanks.
I personally needed to inspect the chain assembly and the sprocket - cam thing that it rides on to make sure they weren't worn down. As Evilbagua said, you better check the drive shaft on double pedals and also if their connection is solid to each pedal.

IMO, a "hands on" job unless buying from a highly rated eBayer.

I've been checking both ebay and craigslist but haven't seen anything on craigslist.
I have found some Iron Cobras for under $100 though... I just don't want it to be completely worn out or something

To me, anything which has to have a certain touch or feel should be checked out in person. Who really knows exactly what war certain used equipment was put through. If the price is low enough, then I'd probably take a chance knowing that I could possible put it back into serviceable condition.

Dennis

Back