My Gretsch mahogany kit with Tama birch snare

Swexx

Hello!
I just wanted to show my new Gretsch Catalina mahogany kit for you guys. Satin Natural finish.

The dimensions are as following:

22x18 bass drum

10x7" rack tom

14x14" and 16x16" floor toms

And a 14x5.5" Tama Superstar birch snare in blue/black wrap.

Cymbals:
18" Paiste 2002 Crash
17" Paiste 2002 Crash
21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride (traditional finish)
18" Zildjian A Custom Crash
14" Sabian XS20 Medium Hats (soon to be replaced)

Pearl, Ludwig and Tama hardware.

I'm currently using the stocks heads on the toms and bass drum, but I'm soon gonna replace them with some fresh Evans G2's over G1.

On my snare I have a Remo coated Ambassador on top (no coating issue on this one!) and an Ambassador Snare on the snare side (it's pretty old - don't they call those Ambassador Hazy nowadays?)

It sounds fantastic, I love the Tama snare and the Paiste crashes have gotten me through a lot of gigs!

What do you think? :)

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 887
  • IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1185.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
Looks cool. Very retro in black and white, and I like the hole in the bass drum cut by what a grenade? lol. Maybe some in color next.

Nice kit you got there :) Let me guess the finish is Natural?

Now I would really appreciate if you can get us a POV pic.

Colour and POV. Less retro but still spiffy! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 800
That color is so basic it has to be classic. Good color pix.

Great looking kit! Looks like a real nice, comfortable set up.

If I may make a suggestion though, use it if you want, you may have better luck mounting that A Custom crash on a boom stand, and then put your ride cymbal or your outside crash on a straight stand. You can put the stand in a more comfortable location and swing the arm out over the bass drum/ride cymbal just as easily.

shes a beaut. ive got me a club rock, red oyster wrap. couldnt be happier. i dont care if it isnt maple or birch or any other higher quality wood, it sounds good!

POV pic of my kit's current state. Fiberskyn Ambassador on snare, coated Amb over clear Amb on toms.
IMG_1856.jpg

That is one nice kit. I have a Catalina Club Jazz kit with the same finish. Enjoy that great Gretsch sound. Peace and goodwill.

Love the black and white photography. Really nice. Nice kit too. At least one Gretsch in every drummer's household....

I just put on a clear Emperor over a clear Evans G1 on my 10" tom.

I used to play a coated Ambassador over stock reso. I think I've now achieved the biggest improvement in sound quality since I first got this kit. I can't believe how good that tom sounds now. The reason I went with the G1 as reso is that my local store had run out of 10" Ambassadors.

The floor tom is next...

Last edited:
Back