Danny Carey

aegir77

this guy is the greatest for me. The way he plays and uses his technique and how he has improved sice the first album of tool to the last. And how he plays in the band Volto! ( seen them live,, wow)
His playing is based a lot on the feelin, a more emotional way of drumming. He can take his mind to a unique place and he can intepret his ideas and thoughts to us, as well as he can cause a reaction on every one of us drummers or musicians.
How his drumset is placed percectly with a mathematician, followin the "circle theory" mixed with the "golden proportion" mixed with a theory called " the theory of the equator".
He has no boundaries, he is really creative .
He has been a great inspiration, at least for me.
post your thoughts on this fella

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Danny_Carey.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: danny carey

I love Danny Carey. He is one of the most amazing drummers out there. I can't explain how much he and his playing means to me... I had a priviledge of seeing him last summer with the Pigmy Love Circus and it was great. I was standing ten feet away from him and his kit. Wow. While he was playing, he looked straight at me for a few seconds and I just nodded my head... we both knew. It's a drummer thing guys, hehe.

He's a truly amazing drummer, my favorite at the moment.

I really can't wait for the new Tool cd to come out, but I would like to hear more of Volto!, do they have a cd or something ? I've been looking around and can't find anything.

Edit : My god, I just listened to the songs on that link, and I nearly s*** myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Very tasty drumming... This is the key to alot of his coolness...

DannyCarey.jpg

The study of tabla in relation to drumset makes for some fascinating grooves.

Speaking of Tabla, have you guys heard the Live Version of Pushit, on the Salival CD? Dany's Teacher play's Tabla in there and it's absolutly awesome.

His drumming is pretty amazing. His double bass chops are outstanding. Some cool drum stuff is the song amperstand and schism or however you spell. but what is that thing he does, the unicircular hexagram thingy mabob?

The unicursal hexagram is a six-pointed star drawn in one motion (hence, "unicursal"). It is mainly used in the Occult (which Danny has a peculiar interest in). This was Aleister Crowley's sign, except he had a five-leafed clover in middle of his. I forgot the meaning, but perhaps the relation to the number five in that clover has some meaning to the number of how many points and lines are in a pentacle or pentagon— which is five. All this is fascinating stuff, and yet I've only touched the brink of it all...

i am still confused about that. what the heck does that have to do with drumming?

i downloaded a carey solo a while back and was blown away, starts of simple with some cool double bass chops then goes into a frenzy, it was awesome definately oneof the best drummers out there

Danny Carey is a genius. His fluid motion is like no one I've ever seen. The patterns and phrases he comes up with are brilliant and he's just all around greatest rock drummer.

this guy changed my life, BIG time...seriously. his drumming is so...i dare to say "magikal", i goes straight to the soul with power and finesse. I ran in to him at a drum shop before a clinic in kansas (which was killer by the way) and he gave my ladyfriend the "eyes"...dang you danny!

Its funny how you a few of you guys love his double bass stuff. Every interview I see of him, he always says his 'weak' point is his double bass drumming!

The guy is awesome though. Many of his beats sound simple, but are pretty complicated when you try playing them. My favortie tho HAS to be sober... what a kick ass song.

Marc.

I too am amazed at Mr Carey's work.I have been playing drums myself for about 10 years,totally self taught and still have a long way to go!!!Every time I listen I am intrigued.It's hard enough to try and mimick the beats,but to think of them in the context of a song and make them feel so right is incredible.Nice one Danny.

I find his playing so unique and soulful. He really has a great way of making complicated beats flow smoothly and not sound forced I think he is one of the most original drummers to come around in a long time. He is also one of the few drummers I've heard whose power rivals Bonhams. This man is absolutly a breath of fresh air.

insane drummer said:
Very tasty drumming... This is the key to alot of his coolness...

DannyCarey.jpg

The study of tabla in relation to drumset makes for some fascinating grooves.

i too starting wednesday am going to start taking some tabla lessons, ive had tablas for a while that my mom got from India but never had the time to learn, now i really want to learn, its going to be awesome.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I remember reading somewhere that some of his style of playing is based on an ancient swords technique or something. I'll try and find where I got this, anyone know anything about this?

Back