Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

There is a part of me that wonders why they even held auditions.

The band already had a great relationship with Mangini, and there would be no doubt he could handle the music.

It's all for the theater. THE DREAM THEATER!!!

I think those who complain about all the drama and (dream) theater forget that with those
videos - although nurturing the drama of course - they're revealing quite much and give
insight in the process that's going on (or went on) and that's been hidden before. I think
the guys from DT come off quite cool in the vids.

By the way for those who are still interested in how Mr Mike Portnoy's doing and what he's
being up to, here's a new interview with him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op8IPQ77ad0

I think you're all way off base here....Its Chuck Norris..DT will be going in a different musical direction ,and DT featuring Chuck and,will showcase all new interactive stage show on the upcoming tour.

Naaaaaaaaa.I think the replacement is a member of this very forum.????????

Steve B

Mike Mangini always reminds me of Willy Wonka. He's like the Willy Wonka of drums.

Hey!

First of all I want to make it very clear as Derek wrote too, there were NO hidden deals or whatever leading up to the auditions. I (and I guess all the other drummers) was treated impeccable! I was very aware of what was coming and there were no new details at the audition.

Second, I have to agree with you Derek again that my wife and myself laughed hard too after getting sked to do the audition!!! It was just surreal to me, ha ha ha... :-D

To me, coming from Sweden and working a normal daytime job, seeing the list with the other six drummers made me laugh even harder. I mean all the other guys are my idols! The best thing with the auditions is that I got in contact with all these amazing drummers and they are the coolest guys ever. :)

I've made a long diary in swedish with my thoughts, facts etc. leading up to the auditions that will be published in a swedish drumming magazine soon. I'm working on getting this translated into english asap if anyone are interested.

Cheers and Stay Metal!!!
Peter Wildoer

Man, I wouldn't have laughed, I would have cried! My nerves would have definitely gotten to me...just comes to show that you guys are monsters of drumming. My hat goes off to you, Derek and all the other guys who auditioned.

I can understand to some extent that some people don't like this as they just want to know who the drummer is. But, I do not understand that people get so very upset about it?!

To me, being a huge fan of all the other six drummers I'm looking forward A LOT to see behind the scenes footage, their interpretation of the DT songs and hearing them talk about preparations etc. I'm a drummer nerd and I just love to see drummers perform and talk, especially these amazing guys. So, to me this is all very cool.

Well, that's just me. :)

Cheers,
Peter

My thoughts exactly!!!

I sure hope that they release full version of the auditions. Peter or Derek, can you guys comment on that? Will any off the audition footage be release in its entirety?

I would love, LOVE to see these seven guys jamming to DOE!!!

I understand they're trying to give us a look into the process, but this really is just turning into one giant soap opera... I normally defend Dream Theater and Portnoy for all the crap they get when it comes to them being "dramatic" or "pretentious" or whatever it is, but this really is just getting absolutely ridiculous.

Still... once it hit the actual audition part of the video, it left me satisfied.

I understand they're trying to give us a look into the process, but this really is just turning into one giant soap opera... I normally defend Dream Theater and Portnoy for all the crap they get when it comes to them being "dramatic" or "pretentious" or whatever it is, but this really is just getting absolutely ridiculous.

Still... once it hit the actual audition part of the video, it left me satisfied.

I don't see the problem. Mike talks about this in the interview above but the drama is not created by the band but the internet. It is a very straightforward idea. Guy leaves band - band replaces guy, auditions are filmed. Mike has always done a myriad of projects from tribute bands, Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic, Neil Morse albums, he has his foot in a lot of waters. He can't do DT at this time, maybe he's burnt out or just wants to try some other ideas and work with some new people. It's easy to villainize him or the band. But as both Derek and Peter have stated that is just not what is going on. Mike has always been upfront about the fact that although his drumming prowess is idolized by many, it is his many projects that distinguish him.

I understand they're trying to give us a look into the process, but this really is just turning into one giant soap opera...

We're living in reality tv times, and whats better than a behind-the-scenes teaser along the lines of Donald Trump's 'Apprentice' for the DT fan base? Great marketing strategy, I'd say.

An article on the business end of the promotion, er, audition...

http://mashable.com/2011/04/21/dream-theater/

One April 21, Dream Theater took to its Facebook Page to let fans know what was going on with the selection process.

The band launched a video Page powered by FanBridge (an artist management tool that recently acquired Damntheradio), that prompts fans to “Like” the Page to unlock content, which is a brief documentary explaining the selection process.

Fans are also asked to submit their emails via Facebook permission, so that they can receive future updates about who the new drummer will be.

We emailed a rep to find about more info about how the campaign will function, and received this response: “The video was made by Roadrunner Records [the band's label] and they’re keeping mum about when the new drummer will be unveiled. The tour dates for July are still on, so they’ll have to announce before then.”

All around, it seems like the band has taken a negative situation and leveraged it to generate buzz for its upcoming 2011 world tour. Not only did the band members (and their label) create content that fans want to see, they positioned it so that fans would have to Fan them on Facebook, and submit their email addresses (email addresses are like band PR gold).

We’re seeing more and more bands using the “Like gate” method on Facebook (hiding content from fans until they “Like” a Page), but this campaign adds another level of intrigue.

For those who like to quote that old saw about music not being a competition, take a good look at what's going on here. Yep once you're in the music it's a collective. But you sure better be ready to compete to get into that non competitive collective.

Look, for whatever you want to say about Mangini musical preferences, have you ever seen a more focused competitor? There he was in that hotel room already putting his game face on, determining strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes, technique, musicality quotients of each and every band member. Then on top of that he was already seeing himself fitting 100% musically into the equation..not just...This would be a nice home for me...a cool thing etc. It was this amazingly intense focused thing that I've always admired about the guy. Then when that was over he was synthesizing the personal dynamic to give everybody in the band just the right amount of comfort. He even went so far as to consider what would be required to enhance his "first up" audition placement. If that isn't competition I don't know what is.

I was especially taken in by that first hotel face shot where you see him talking himself into having the gig. Then he puts the hat on and doesn't seem to take it off. I'll bet he went to sleep wearing that hat. And before somebody runs over to tell me I shouldn't analyze the personality thing...I think this very publicly released video allows for just that...and with their permission.

I remember that game face of his very well back in the old comp days and I thought it was a kind of psych out thing. Apparently it's also a very beneficial self motivational tool that if observed and respected could help get lot of people through whatever door they chose to enter.

That video is like Top American Prog Metal Drummers Idol :) Mike M's intensity is another universe to the typical laid back Type B jellyfish world I live in. The closest I've seen to this is when they hire executives at work. I try to avoid contact with our execs like the plague and whenever I get hoiked into a meeting with one I'm like "Oh no, I want a peaceful life" haha.

It's hard to imagine the final choice making much of a difference in the end. Whatever happens, one killer player will replace another. Any of those guys would do a great job. The standard Mike M set for starters was amazing - being able to walk into complex arrangements like that and nail them. As one of the guys said, they could have walked into a stadium with him with no rehearsal.

Funny how things go ... one minute they're all serious and lamenting the loss of Mike P. Next minute they're all excited and smiling. No one's irreplaceable - except Moonie :)

Part 1 of the auditions is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L609JsPFmmI

This one is focusing on Mangini.

OK, this longer video is actually pretty cool. It's showing the behind the scenes of what really went on, and Mangini's actual audition.

And like Matt Smith said, the focus and intensity is insane.

That is a million times better video than the shorter American Idol wanna-be video that was posted on the bands Facebook last Thursday.

Anyone know when the next episode is due? Damn, i'm hooked.. its like Survivor all over again

Back