Billy Ward here!

DW, i knew it! Thank god i have some! :D

Daking has some super gear, at a really good price. I'm thinking about buying myself 6 channels of Daking pre's. 2 Mic/EQ pre's and 1 IV pre. Straight into pro tools.

May i ask what your gigging kit consists of? (i mean sizes in particular)

six channels of daking with EQ available for the kick and snare mics sounds perfect to me!
It's a lot of dough, but definitely the best gear for the money.

My live or studio kit changes depending upon the gig itself. I will usually use either the 20 or 22 bass drum (most of the time, it's one of the 20s - either 12X20 or 16X20). Might choose no woofer - or a 22 woofer or my 28. Hope this helps!

If you listen to the end of that first solo that starts my DVD, Big Time, you can hear the chain on the bass pedal. this is because of all the compression that I applied to that piece.

You have probably some very nice DW kits stored in your studio. I like the idea of multiple kits ... combining different sizes.

Yeah, Daking ain't that cheap, but it's super. Less is more! Fewer, but better pre's, instead of 24 channels of focusrite stuff.

I never noticed that sound! Put some grease on that chain!!!! :D hahaha

Billy Ward drums FS for charity... please check this out!

This is a rather serious post that is announcing an upcoming sale of one of my drum kits for charity.

Many of you may know that my sister in law, Meghan Robinson, passed away fifteen years ago after contracting aids. To this day, my wife and I are heartbroken over Meghan’s death.

AIDS AND CHILDREN
Today, there are more than 15 million children orphaned by AIDS. By the year 2010, that number will exceed 50 million. Who will care for, feed, educate, and raise these precious lives? I believe the world needs a greater involvement in the fight against AIDS, the most devastating disease the world has ever faced. We cannot ignore the cries of the three million people who will die of AIDS this year, not to mention the five million more who will contract it. We must do our part to arrest the spread of this horrific disease.

AARON CUSHING
This coming December 26 through January 6, Aaron Cushing, the illustrious webmaster at my website, has informed me that he will be traveling to Ethiopia to work with missionaries who have dedicated themselves to the fight against AIDS. Though the costs of this trip may be high, the return is undeniable. Aaron told me he expects this trip to be a challenging, exhausting, yet life-altering experience for him and his team. Aaron believes that it will have a far-reaching impact in the lives of many people. Our world will be stronger. Aaron and his wife have decided what their roles are in helping this cause.

WHAT CAN I DO? (aka THIS KIT COULD BE YOURS!)
I’ve been thinking of my possible role as well and have decided that the most effective way to raise money to help is for me to auction a DW drum set from my personal collection. But certainly all of you are invited to take your chance on winning this wonderful kit. This drum set is one of a kind. It appears several times in my DVD, “Big Time”. The movie kicks off with a drum solo on radically de-tuned drums. Those are the drums that will be available for purchase. One Hundred percent of the money made from this auction (after shipping expenses) will be sent to Aaron to help his expenses on this trip. The drums are a DW Maple short stack tom kit. The color is a tobacco sunburst with (no longer available) black mini-lugs.
Condition of this kit is near mint to mint. You can view some pics of this kit from the discussion forum of my website:

http://p205.ezboard.com/Billys-kit-to-be-auctioned/fbillywardfrm1.showMessage?topicID=2709.topic

The sizes are as follows:
12 X 20 bass drum with May EA (AKG D112) microphone shock mounted inside.
4 X 12 snare drum
10, 12 and 14 short stack toms (3 total)

The 12” deep bass drum and 12” snare with only 6 lugs are two of the unique qualities of this kit. This kit is a perfect addition to ANY drummer. There isn’t a smaller kit in the world that sounds as mighty on any stage. It was designed to be my local jobbing kit and has been used on a handful of local dates with the likes of Joan Osborne, Leni Stern and Jon Pousette-Dart. (You might remember Pousette-Dart from our appearance at the 2000 MD Fest)
You won’t believe how these drums sound and look! If requested, I will sign each drum of the kit before shipping.
So that’s it. I will try to let you know when it is going to appear on ebay. I expect it to go up on ebay this coming Friday. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please post here or on my own forum and I'll respond.

Thanks-
Billy Ward

Hi Sam - well, the drums are up to 2800- today! :D

ALSO...
A distinguished member of my forum, Mainely, has jumped in on ebay to sell a Tempus snare drum and all proceeds will additionally go to my webmaster's trip to Eithiopia for AIDS. (same deal as my own kit that I'm selling there)
What is nice about this (besides Mainely’s obvious over the top generosity) is that some of you who couldn’t afford to bid on a drum set may be able to bid on this drum! Tempus makes good drums!

Here is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=150154511295

Thanks to Bernhard for allowing this sort of announcement.

We're going crazy with the fundraising at my forum!

and.... wish me Happy Birthday today! :D

Hi Sam - well, the drums are up to 2800- today! :D

ALSO...
A distinguished member of my forum, Mainely, has jumped in on ebay to sell a Tempus snare drum and all proceeds will additionally go to my webmaster's trip to Eithiopia for AIDS. (same deal as my own kit that I'm selling there)
What is nice about this (besides Mainely’s obvious over the top generosity) is that some of you who couldn’t afford to bid on a drum set may be able to bid on this drum! Tempus makes good drums!

Here is the link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=150154511295

Thanks to Bernhard for allowing this sort of announcement.

We're going crazy with the fundraising at my forum!

and.... wish me Happy Birthday today! :D

Happy Birthday Billy!

That ebay link doesn't work. Here is another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEMPUS-CUSTOM-C...ryZ38095QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the better link 4strings!
thanks for the pub, Bernhard!
thanks for the birthday wish, D-chick!!!

I've recieved a great birthday wish... two of my friends have great news regarding their cancer treatments/recovery...

This has been a great day.

and... I'm so busy, I should've posted this earlier... but I'm doing a clinic and masterclass in Canada this coming Tuesday and Wednesday. Check it out on the front page of my website.. it is south-eastern canada.. (maybe I should look at a map??? :D)
I am doing it all as a gift to help further raise some money for AIDS.

Another trip around the sun! Weeeeeeeeeeeee.....

Hey Billy,
"Big Time" smokes! I was hoping to get some insight regarding the heel tap. Why is it you do this? To keep in time? It seems like one more thing to think about. Actually, I believe that I just don't get it.

Thanks

Hey Erik,
Yeah subdivision....I get it. We have plenty of "subdivision" between our limbs. I don't think that's what Billy is trying to convey. I could be wrong... but after watching the video...again, I didn't find what I was looking for.

Hey Erik,
Yeah subdivision....I get it. We have plenty of "subdivision" between our limbs. I don't think that's what Billy is trying to convey. I could be wrong... but after watching the video...again, I didn't find what I was looking for.

Example... Play a single stroke roll at a brisk tempo. Now, remove your right hand and just play 16th note up-beats with your left. Kinda tricky? Now tap your thigh with your right hand on quarter notes. Suddenly it becomes a lot easier to line up those up-beat notes.

It's the same thing with the heel tap. You're creating more "notes" in order to fill the gaps between actual strokes and to reinforce your time feel. Like Billy said, incorporating mechanisms into your playing is like taking a step back to go two steps forward, but the two steps forward are really worth the effort. The idea is to develop the whole concept to a level where you don't have to think about it.

Hey Mr. Ward, I just wanted to say that your block at the 2000 MD Festival was, I thought, the most educational and helpful. Thanks

Hi J/R -

Joan is easily one of the best (and most inspiring) singers I've ever played with. (I like "play" more than "work") She is incredible - and equally incredible as a person, so it is very possible that I will play with her again. That said, I'm outta there for now - too many other projects to pursue for now. I hope you like my Voices DVD - and thanks for asking!

Billy -

I've been watching the MD Festival 2000 DVD a lot lately and have found myself repeating your chapter again and again ... I must say I liked your approach both to the talk and to playing... It is all too easy as "drumming technicians" to forget what purpose technique serves and, in pursuit of more/better chops (or by over-emulating our drum heroes), lose sight of the identity *we* should be bringing to the music... Thanks for the reminder! :)

I just ordered your new CD, BTW ... really looking forward to it!

Cheers,
s0nspark

Back