This year's goals

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Happy new year everyone.

Just a quick thread to see what everyone will be working on this year and what your drumming goals are.

I like to break my practice into Long term goals (overall, almost unachievable goals that run for 5-10 years!)
Medium term goals - (4-6months) and then short term is what i do every day.

Works for me. so here is what I'm gonna work on for the next 4 months...probably wont get it all done and will carry onto the next block of 4 months.

Be great to see what you guys are doing.

Dave

Attachments

• MEDIUM TERM GOALS JAN TO APR 2014.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 118
Re: This years goals

cool ! ping me if you ever need Vinnie transcriptions, i have a bunch.

Re: This years goals

! I was just going to post some 'resolutions' type stuff myself!

For me, it will be a continuation from goals I set from 2012 and 2013.

1. Better bass drum technique. Bringing my feet up to where my hands are.
I'm happy with where they are now, definitely a step up from where they were years ago. Progress is steady. Really focusing on control at the moment.
2. Fully memorizing the Rudimental Ritual, played with good execution. Looooong time goal (maybe in 10 years!) would be able to play the Rudimental Ritual with my feet!
3. Work through the New Breed more instead of the book sitting on the bookshelf, collecting dust. As it did for many years. :( Based on my calculations from the day before, this will definitely take years, years to work through all the 63 systems from The New Breed I, all of the contained reading exercises and then with Syncopation, and Modern Reading Text. And then there's The New Breed II to worry about!
4. Work through various applications to Stick Control and Syncopation.
5. Develop stronger coordination, independence and interdependence.
6. Listen to new music. All music.

My short term goals are to continue lessons, going through Open Handed Playing by Claus Hessler, and to play out and/or form a band.

My intermediate goal is to go through Daily Drumset Workout by Claus Hessler cover to cover.

My long term goal is to remain upright and exchanging air, and not assume room temperature.

All awesome guys.

Couldn't sleep last night so had another revelation. Each day/week i'm gonna work on those little grooves/exercises etc that I've always neglected or half learned. Little simple day to day things

D

I drummed all throught highschool. (10 years) then quit basically for 15 years (played guitar and stuff instead).

Last year I decided to start again Jan1. My goal was rudiments. I learned half of them (not super fast, but enough to know them) in the 1st half of the year, then like always got comfortable, and instead of learning more, just played what I was comfortable with

Then boom, an idea hit.. Since I made good progress last year, why don't I start the same thing this year. Im gonna brush up on those rudiments, and did what I did last year, learn more...

So yeah, moral of the story, is make a goal each year, to progress each year. Music and life, is a life time journey. Not a short term goal.

Nice. Anyone else?

John - Exactly! Need goals to have something to work towards.
My epiphany came when I decided one summer to get better and so laid all my books out on the floor (about 20 at the time) and thought I'll do them all in one summer......
I quickly realised I needed to prioritise and work on what needed to be done not everything at once.

Dave

Nice. Anyone else?

John - Exactly! Need goals to have something to work towards.
My epiphany came when I decided one summer to get better and so laid all my books out on the floor (about 20 at the time) and thought I'll do them all in one summer......
I quickly realised I needed to prioritise and work on what needed to be done not everything at once.

Dave

Whoa! 20 books? Ok haha.

But I understand, I've been there before. I had many books as well but now that I'm older I've reassessed my priorities and learnt to take my time.

This is the year I'm going to push myself a bit harder... I have always been a relaxed player and that's cool but the downside is I'm not comfortable playing fast rolls with my hands. I've already started to incorporate them in my practice and I think there's hope.

Also going to learn to sightread and I was thinking of picking up one of Gary Chaffee's books.

I was planning on getting on a cruise ship and working as a drummer for a few months.

whitecafe - I know 20 books isn't a great collection but the idea of doing 20 in one summer...some of those were stick control, art of bop etc which themselves take longer to do on their own.

whitecafe - I know 20 books isn't a great collection but the idea of doing 20 in one summer...some of those were stick control, art of bop etc which themselves take longer to do on their own.

No no I wasn't being sarcastic! I was actually agreeing with you that 20 books over one summer was a lot ! I laughed because I kind of did the same thing one summer, was kind of laughing at myself.

It just so happens that I lost my whole drum book collection in transit while moving, but somehow I think it was a blessing in disguise. Because it forced me to rethink my approach to practicing and I feel that I'm making way more progress than I did before. :)

My first goal is to improve my left foot independence/coordination. Second step might be getting a cheap double bass pedal (i always told myself i wouldnt!)

Back