How to learn to play like these drummers?

mihai_drums

Hello to all!!! I watched this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ_kTNoH_7w), and I was amazed how fast and powerfull are these drummers! All of them are Gospel drummers, this video is from Shed Sessionz Vol. 2. They are so young but play awesome!!! If anyone knows any lessons or DVD's, on this type of drumming, called Gospel Chops, please share with us!!!
I know someone will tell that this style is overplaying, no groove, all gospel drummers sound the same, but I want to learn this type of drumming!!! Unfortunately, I don't have an Afro-American drummer who could teach me, in my country there is no such type of drumming...
I noticed that they use a lot linear patterns, doubles on hands and foot, and a lot of flams around the drums!!!
If someone could help me with something, i'll be very thankful!!! Thanks, good luck everyone!!!

sounds more like a drumsolo but still. It'd be nice to develop the required limb independance to pull this thing off even if it's only for the limited minutes of fame we get lol.

If you like fast & powerfull jazz drummers like joe morello & chad wackerman also have some insane chops.

Judging from your question, I am assuming you are fairly new to drums?

If that is the case, there's so much work to do before you get to that place. You don't start school in college, you start in kindergarten. Imagine your first day of school and trying to learn calculus. That's nuts. Learn your basics first and realize that gospel chops type playing is so far down the road from where you are, (I'm assuming) that it doesn't even make sense to attempt it until you have developed your basic skills to a point where gospel type drumming is within reach.

But to answer your question, listen listen listen. Steep yourself in the style so it's in your DNA. Before it gets to your hands, it has to be in your head.

Judging from your question, I am assuming you are fairly new to drums?

I play drums for almost9 years. I'm kind of intermediate level. I have Mike Johnston book - Linear Drumming, I worked on that book almost a year now. Really I think it's good introduction on Gospel drumming.

Back