Is there any way to visually tell if the hihat footboard spins?

cDark3r

The title pretty much asks my question. I want to know if the footboard on various stands turns\spins so I can fit a doublepedal there easier. I have noticed a black plastic(?) part at the bottom of the stands that have a rotating board. But my problem is that some websites does not say if the board spins. The stand that Im thinking about buying is the Gibraltar 6707 since I also will buy the Gibraltar 6711 double pedal as my first one. And the footboards match...

Last edited:
Re: Is there anyway to visually tell if the hihatfootboard spins?

This is the black part I am talking about.

Attachments

• 2013-12-29-22-25-59-1.jpg
    2013-12-29-22-25-59-1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 211

The clue is that the fold-out legs have screw stops at both points where they connect/hinge with the center tube. That means the legs are movable, which means the pedal is positionable.

Bermuda

The clue is that the fold-out legs have screw stops at both points where they connect/hinge with the center tube. That means the legs are movable, which means the pedal is positionable.

Bermuda

Thank you! So that does mean that that is the case on the Gibraltar 6707 right? :)

This is the black part I am talking about.

The black section of that stand adjusts the pedal tension, not its rotation. It's hard to tell if that stand has a screw adjustment on the bottom part where it meets the tube. Sometimes that adjustment is done with a drum key, while the top is a wing screw, since it's normally the only hand adjustment that needs to me made to open or collapse after the rotation is adjusted and set with the bottom screw.

Would be nice to see a pic without the red circle, it kind of obscures that section of the stand.

Bermuda

The black section of that stand adjusts the pedal tension, not its rotation. It's hard to tell if that stand has a screw adjustment on the bottom part where it meets the tube. Sometimes that adjustment is done with a drum key, while the top is a wing screw, since it's normally the only hand adjustment that needs to me made to open or collapse after the rotation is adjusted and set with the bottom screw.

Would be nice to see a pic without the red circle, it kind of obscures that section of the stand.

Bermuda

Well this os not a very HD photo but its the best I could find.

Attachments

• 6707_lg-1-1.jpg
    6707_lg-1-1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 200

Thank you! So that does mean that that is the case on the Gibraltar 6707 right? :)

Found a close-up of that, and it looks like it does!

Except, they describe some of their stands as having "moveable legs", and that model isn't one of them.

So, I don't know for sure. But based on the photo, I'd say yes.

Bermuda

Attachments

• gib_stand.jpg
    gib_stand.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 199

Found a close-up of that, and it looks like it does!

Except, they describe some of their stands as having "moveable legs", and that model isn't one of them.

So, I don't know for sure. But based on the photo, I'd say yes.

Bermuda
Thanks again! Since a doublepedal, a new hihat stand and a new bd head is quite a lot of money for a young student like me I wanted to make sure that I got the right peice. I have also sent a email to Gibraltar friday evening which probably was not the the best time for a email.

Im going to say it does rotate, based on the fact there's a plastic bushing on the bottom part of the legs.

The bushing suggests theres going to be movement, no need for that bottom section moving up/down the tube to fold the legs, so if it was non moveable it probably wouldn't have the plastic bushing..

Some rotating leg HH's don't employ a bottom screw like Bermuda mentioned in the pic.

Attachments

• gib stand.jpg
    gib stand.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 182

I would almost venture to say that it might be safe to assume the legs would rotate with many modern hi-hat stands these days. Or why not just get a two-legged hi-hat stand and eliminate all doubt?

There looks to be a drum key bolt directly across from the red line in the pic 2 posts above.
Loosen that drum key bolt, and the wing bolt that locks the legs in place, and it should turn.

Yep, that's the drum key set-screw I was talking about. I'm 99.99% sure that stand's legs rotate.

Bermuda

I would almost venture to say that it might be safe to assume the legs would rotate with many modern hi-hat stands these days. Or why not just get a two-legged hi-hat stand and eliminate all doubt?

Well it is a cost thing. Since two-legged stands need less material to build they are more expensive.... I cant seem to find a dual-legged stand that matches my price range.

I found the obvious. On my current stand these two parts are welded together so nothing spins. But those parts not being welded together does not guarantee swivel legs but I guess it's worth looking at.

Attachments

• gib_stand.jpg
    gib_stand.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 156
Just like the others say , 99.99% sure it does rotate. The black plastic insert and the drum key screw at the bottom gives it awsy.

Crap. It does not rotate. I just got a response from Gibraltar saying:" The footboard does not rotate, but the leg brace system does to allow for a double pedal." And honestly, I don't understand how a "leg brace" system (Whats that?) can allow a slave pedal to fit. It is still has three legs and I've already tried once with a double pedal on my tri-legged stand and that is a tight fit. Now I'm disappointed. Crap.

Have you loosened the drum key screw on the lower ring?

Technically, it's not the footboard that moves, it's the leg assembly that rotates to allow a slave pedal to fit better.

I realize the description doesn't say the legs are moveable, but it sure looks like it based on their own photo.

Bermuda

Have you loosened the drum key screw on the lower ring?

Technically, it's not the footboard that moves, it's the leg assembly that rotates to allow a slave pedal to fit better.

I realize the description doesn't say the legs are moveable, but it sure looks like it based on their own photo.

Bermuda
I do not own the stand. Yet. The response I got from Gibraltar was confusing but the legs probably moves.

I do not own the stand. Yet. The response I got from Gibraltar was confusing but the legs probably moves.

Well, I'd make 100% sure before buying it. Have you Googled the stand to see if there are any comments or reviews out there? It's hard to imagine that not one Drummerworld member has one, but there must be some info from a user somewhere on the web.

If you can't find anything, and don't mind waiting until the 23rd, I will check it out the first day at NAMM and find out for sure.

Bermuda

Back