What are good records for gospel drums?

marshallvore

Hey guys, I love watching drummers play all these chops but I want to hear some of them in the context of an album. Do you have any suggestions for great albums with gospel chops in them?

thanks!

Hello Marshall,

Gospel, non-Gospel.............drums are drums. Is a Gospel chop...uh.....holier? Ha! No. It is a chop just the same. I did a Gospel recording once and absolutely used a Vinny Colaiuta lick in it. I suppose I am a thief. But I would rather think Vinny has cool chops.

Last edited:
Hello Marshall,

Gospel, non-Gospel.............drums are drums. Is a Gospel chop...uh.....holier? Ha! No. It is a chop just the same. I did a Gospel recording once and absolutely used a Vinny Colaiuta lick in it. I suppose I am a thief. But I would rather think Vinny has cool chops.

Vinnie basically gave birth to what is called "Gospel Chops" today

I can see how the phrasing of my question might seem as if I'm only interested in gospel chops because of their recent popularity. The fact of the matter is that after music school, I studied privately with jazz and fusion players for the most part. Gospel chops obviously have their roots in other kinds of playing. Most of those licks are linear phrasings of basic rudiments like paradiddles or inversions of the like. My primary drum kit is a 50's Ludwig and my favorite drummers are probably Jim Keltner and Ethan Johns. I'm asking about records with great gospel players on them because I'd like to hear good sounding drums in that musical context specifically... That way, I can broaden my bag of concepts. I don't know where you live or how often you get to be around young gospel musicians, and I don't mean shedders or Berklee/youtube/GC Drum-Off types. I mean inner city session players that cut their teeth in churches. They have a style that is endearing to me and I'd like to find out what records are considered staples for them... Just like I would consider Jason Isbell a staple southern songwriter. So if anyone finds this thread in the future and would like to let me in on some great players/music, I would stoked.

marshall,

Great albums with Gospel Chops kind of drumming is:
Christian Scott - Rewind That (2006) - Thomas Pridgen on drums,
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath (2008) - Thomas Pridgen,
Nat Townsley Trio - The Big Idea (2007) - Nat Townsley on drums,
John Blackwell Project - 4ever Jia (2010) - John Blackwell on drums,
T.R.A.M. - Lingua Franca (2012) - Eric Moore on drums.

Good question by the initial poster... I'm gonna try out Mihai's suggestions.

Nat Townsley kills me. I love that linear stuff. Probably from playing guitar in a corporate band for a few years with the guy below. It keeps the groove going instead of breaking it up for a "drum solo" for a bar or two.

I posted this before, this is my friend and former bandmate Eduardo Torres playing with Gavin Castleton, running the Gospel Chops stuff at the end of what is essentially a rock song.
http://youtu.be/lyOLbAWv7bw

This is an album he made with those same couple of guys from Taking Back Sunday. There are some youtube covers of this song as well.
http://youtu.be/wmwcLzBNyWI

Back