The Blues!

thedistrict3

Hey fellow drummers,

Can anybody make some suggestions for some blues/funk albums I can play too? Right now im really into The John Mayer Trio and Jimi Hendrix

Sorry if this is the wrong forum

if you play blues, it's almost a mandatory requirement that you be familiar with stevey ray vaughan. check out "couldn't stand the weather" and "texas flood" for starters. another mandatory blues album is the allman brothers "live at fillmore east". you basically cannot show up at a blues jam without being familiar with those albums.

I recommend the first album by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (self titled) "West Side Soul" by Magic Sam, and "Hard Again" by Muddy Waters.

I don't know about the funk part, but the Real Folk Blues albums of Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Sonny Boy Williamson all cover some pretty essential blues. Oh, and John Lee Hooker- a lot of Hendrix' thing comes from him.

if you play blues, it's almost a mandatory requirement that you be familiar with stevey ray vaughan. check out "couldn't stand the weather" and "texas flood" for starters. another mandatory blues album is the allman brothers "live at fillmore east". you basically cannot show up at a blues jam without being familiar with those albums.

Beat me to it! 100% agreed!

John Lee Hooker
BB King
Eric Clapton
Dark Blues: Black Sabbath, first two albums.

I lean towards blues and some of the tunes I've been practicing with are from Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Stevie Ray, Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers, Eric Clapton's "From the Cradle" (all blues), Blues Brothers, etc. Gonna start mixing it up with some classic rock like Savoy Brown,etc........

Muddy & The Wolf - A great album, with he likes of Clapton, Billy Wyman, I think Mike Bloomfield, I can't recall everyone it's too early in the morning. But really an all star cast backing two all time legends.

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - definitive 60's British blues

Definitely go with the Butterfield Blues Band stuff.

Albert King's Born Under A Bad Sign

Anything from Freddie King. The guy was SRV, before there even was an SRV.

It saddens me that no one has mentioned Canned Heat. Boogie With Canned Heat and Livin' The Blues are particularly good, as well as their eponymous first album.

It saddens me that no one has mentioned Canned Heat. Boogie With Canned Heat and Livin' The Blues are particularly good, as well as their eponymous first album.

I personally never really considered Canned Heat as "just" a blues band. I always thought of them as blues/rock kind of like the Faces or the Stones. That's just me though.

My suggestion is to get satelite radio (sirius/XM) They have a GREAT blues channel....and about 2 hundred other channels, great investment.
I got on in the beginning, and at the time they were offering 500.00 (USD) LIFETIME subscription. I jumped on it. What a deal. I've heard such great stuff in the last 4 years....it's really enriched my personal life.

If you're interested in any funky blues/jazz I would highly recommend checking out Herbie Hancock. Songs like "Watermelon Man" and "Cantaloupe Island" are good ones.

i wouldnt listen to plain blues personally, but i am greatly influenced by it due to my guitarist, i dont know if you would consider the raconteurs overly bluesy but they are one of my favorite bands pat keeler is a great drummer and jack white is very heavily interested in the blues (its why my guitarist is) but regardless they are good and would recommend playnig along to the to anyone of any genre

Those don't really have much to do with blues...

"Watermelon Man" (original recording) is a blues, just not a Muddy Waters/B.B. King kind of blues. It's a funky blues. Somebody else brought up funk and the later versions of "Cantaloupe Island" have a much funkier feel to them, which is why I mentioned it. This is a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgP1u5YWEg

Some of my favorites that I recommend are:

BB King - Anthology (or any Greatest Hits compilation you can find)
Albert King w/ Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session
Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Same
Little Walter - His Best
Muddy Waters - Hard Again / Fathers & Sons
Kenny Wayne Shepherd - 10 Days Out
And finally, I can't stress this enough...ANY record by Duke Robillard.

Back