Might be moving back to the states - best option for shipping my drums?

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Hey guys I got a good job offer back stateside. While I love it here in Germany I also have a family now and have to look out for them too. Given as I have the option of letting the movers ship my drums stateside or just ship them myself what is the better option? My concerns of course would be the effects of temperature during the trip back over the pond. I think either method might expose them to similar negative things.

I appreciate any feedback from those with experience in this.

Most moving companies insure your belongings at a price per pound rate. Sounds silly but true. Since drums weigh next to nothing you may get 75.00 if they were crushed If it were me I would pack them and ship them myself and insure them for what they are worth. You may be able to buy additional $$ from the moving company but make sure before hand.

from the web.....

So, to know if you're covered, you need to understand the three types of "valuation" the moving company may provide:

Declared value: The value of your possessions is based on the total weight of the shipment multiplied by a specific amount per pound. For example, if the specific amount is $1.50 per pound, and your household goods weigh 15 000 pounds, the mover would be liable for a maximum of $22,500. The settlement is based on the depreciated value of the damaged goods.
Lump sum value or Assessed Value: If your household goods do not weigh much, but are valuable, you may need insurance that is based more on cost than weight. This means you can purchase insurance for a specific amount per $1,000 of value. This must be declared in writing on the bill of lading.

Thank you for the heads up. I used the same moving company when I headed from the states but I will ask them the particulars. The idea of insuring them for what they are worth is great. Since the American replacement costs for my German made drums is much higher than what I paid for them it makes sense.

Well the fact that the drums may weigh 100 pounds you would collect $150.00 if they were damaged. Not even one drum worth.

For general purpose I checked out the moving company website:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FRV LIMITATIONS
• Limits of Liability: If you “SUBMIT” your claim within 9 months, the TSP’s maximum liability on a shipment is $5,000 or $4 per pound times the weight of the shipment, whichever is greater, but not more than $50,000. If these limitations do not satisfy your loss, the government will evaluate for additional settlement. If you “SUBMIT” your claim after nine months from delivery, but before 2 years, the TSP is liable for only depreciated value of the goods, up to a maximum of $1.25 per pound times the net weight of your shipment.

So far it looks like the US Post office is the best way to go. I can insure a single item up to $5k. That will more than cover the costs of a new kit even at US prices. I am also going to get a quote from UPS and FedEx.

Looks like they even sell shipping insurance seperate from what the carriers will sell you. Lots of options for me to sort through.

Back