I got the gig!

Magenta

Platinum Member
After answering a "musicians wanted" ad the other week, most of us managed to get together this evening: the two singers whose idea it was, a guitarist, a trumpeter, a backing vocalist/keyboard player, and myself.

I didn't take to the guitarist much, but he was good at his job. The singers were good, and I liked them enormously. The trumpet player was absolutely fantastic and a very nice bloke too. I felt privileged to play alongside him. The keyboard player was far more suited to backing vocals! She told me she also played drums, and my first thought was "You may be a drummer - but I'm THE drummer!" and I hoped I wouldn't mess up.

I didn't :) I was right in the middle of my comfort zone, playing music I understood and, mostly, that I actually knew. There was one song I wasn't familiar with, and from the way the guitarist played it, I didn't feel drum kit was the most suitable percussion. I hadn't thought to bring my castanets but I said I played them and that I thought they'd work here, and the singers loved the idea and one of them even said "Oh, you just get better and better!"

So I had a very enjoyable couple of hours, and I got the gig. Can't wait till next week!

Congratulations! Maybe you'll all warm up to each other over time. Make sure you post us a video!

Hooray for you Madge!! Your good news was my brightest ray of sunshine today.

Everytime I join a new band I feel a bit wiser than the last time going into it. Congrats. Here's to new beginnings.

This is exceptionally good news!!! I knew this was right up your street the moment you posted the link a couple of weeks back.

Don't worry about the personality dynamics just yet. It takes time for the picture to unfold, & some members will likely have as many premature misconceptions about you as you do about them. Unless someone has behaved like a complete dick from the get go, just put your head down & concentrate on the music.

You can tell me all about it later when I'm fixing Liam's drums ;)

Thank you, everybody!

Congratulations! Maybe you'll all warm up to each other over time. Make sure you post us a video!

I'm sure we will - or at the very least, we'll accommodate each other. And yes, don't worry!

Awesome Madge. Sounds like you are chuffed to bits.

Absolutely. This is the first time anybody has actually wanted me, and it feels great.

Hooray for you Madge!! Your good news was my brightest ray of sunshine today.

Thank you very much, but I hope your day improves considerably, my friend.

Everytime I join a new band I feel a bit wiser than the last time going into it. Congrats. Here's to new beginnings.

Yes, that's a good point. I certainly feel as if I know a lot more than I did 18 months ago. Whether or not I really do, of course, remains to be seen!

Do you get to keep your stage name?

The trumpet guy did say to me "PLEASE tell me it's your real name!" - but I had to disappoint him. I don't know; as it's a retro-y band, I thought a retro-y name might be more appropriate and I came up with Violet Hayes, but I don't like it as much as the full Magenta moniker. I rather like the idea of having a different name for each band, though, and I've earmarked Indigo LaBelle for my future blues incarnation :)

This is exceptionally good news!!! I knew this was right up your street the moment you posted the link a couple of weeks back.

You know what, Andy: it felt so good to feel secure in the music I was playing. That's been lacking lately. Going to jam night has been great for me in many ways, but I am getting a bit tired of my weaknesses being on show the whole time and not enough of my strengths. Last night, we only played two songs that I'd done before, but I was familiar with almost all the others, and even I couldn't tell I'd never played them: it was all such a good fit.

some members will likely have as many premature misconceptions about you as you do about them.

Yeah, they might think I can actually play, haga!

You can tell me all about it later when I'm fixing Liam's drums ;)

I've been on at him to ages to ask if you minded. I knew you wouldn't, but I thought it would be only polite to check in advance. The youth of today, eh.

See you in a bit!

After answering a "musicians wanted" ad the other week, most of us managed to get together this evening: the two singers whose idea it was, a guitarist, a trumpeter, a backing vocalist/keyboard player, and myself.

I didn't take to the guitarist much, but he was good at his job. The singers were good, and I liked them enormously. The trumpet player was absolutely fantastic and a very nice bloke too. I felt privileged to play alongside him. The keyboard player was far more suited to backing vocals! She told me she also played drums, and my first thought was "You may be a drummer - but I'm THE drummer!" and I hoped I wouldn't mess up.

I didn't :) I was right in the middle of my comfort zone, playing music I understood and, mostly, that I actually knew. There was one song I wasn't familiar with, and from the way the guitarist played it, I didn't feel drum kit was the most suitable percussion. I hadn't thought to bring my castanets but I said I played them and that I thought they'd work here, and the singers loved the idea and one of them even said "Oh, you just get better and better!"

So I had a very enjoyable couple of hours, and I got the gig. Can't wait till next week!

Great news. Dead exciting joining a new band.

How often does the band practice? What band members did not make it to the audition?

How often does the band practice? What band members did not make it to the audition?

Every week is the plan, and we lacked the bass player and sax/clarinettist.

That's great!

Finding good people to play with and the right kind of music to go along - ain't that easy.

Congratulations and may you enjoy your new band :)

Back