Question for Pearl know it alls

geeza

I have a mint condition set of Pearl session customs in platinum mist which was a limited edition color for the session series and are very hard to find. I bought them probably 7 years ago. I'm very attached to them but have been thinking about selling them. Is it possible that they might be sought after one day due to the rarity in color or should i sell them. Any and all opinions are apreciated. Thanks.

When in doubt, keep them. You have nothing to lose, unless you really NEED the money. If you would just use it to buy more drums, do yourself a favor and keep them.

I don't imagine the finish is going to add a whole lot to the value of any set, really. I don't think there will be a huge collectors market for session customs. I have a set myself and I don't anticipate it selling for much when the time comes. I just know that when I go to buy a set of drums, the finish is the last thing on my mind (unless its a kind of "dealbreaker" finish... the kind you wouldn't be caught dead with in public).

Look at it this way, what drum increases in price anyway?

Look at it this way, what drum increases in price anyway?

Pretty much just old ones... Or when less than 100 were made... even then its only sometimes. They have to be "collectable"... I suppose. Thats what will really drive up the price. People have to want them and be willing to pay lots to get them.

A set of session customs just doesn't really fit that description IMO.

If you really think about it no drums have gone up in value really. I'll explain.
Let's say someone bought a Ludwig kit 30 years ago for 300 bucks and they turned around and flipped it today for 3000 bucks. Ok it went up 10x in price over 30 years.
But then so did bread, houses cars and everything else under the sun, bottom line best case scenario if you hold on to your sessions for 30 years you will just be keeping with inflation (that is if your kit holds any kind of value in 30 years, you may be doing this for nothing. In other words, your better off selling them and buying something else you would enjoy more in the present. Put your money somewhere else who knows what the future will bring.
JMO

Given the current economic circumstances we're in a buyer's market, so you're unlikely to get as good a price as you may in 3-4 years time.

Thanks for all the input. I did'nt think they would be worth anymore than a regular session kit, just sought after more than most. They only made them for one year i believe. I guess i'll try to sell them. If they don't sell , no loss right. Thanks to all again.

Back