Open Hand Drummer List

It's me, Iplay open-handed, both hihat and ride are on my left (however, it is hardly visible :)

0231dl.jpg

Last edited:
call me stupid but im dont know so much expressions.what does openhanded means?

MOONCHILD said:
call me stupid but im dont know so much expressions.what does openhanded means?
THIS is open-handed :http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/simonphillipscosmos.html

Simon Phillips in 1992. As you can see, he lead the hihat with the hihat with his left hand and he's not crossing his hands. And he also plays the ride with the left. Watch the clip!

Robin

Will Kennedy is definitely one of the great drummers around who happens to be open-handed.
Chuck Morris, and Gorden Campbell are also good open-handed drummers.

someone you guys may not know is glenn robertson of bomb squad. a new york based funk soul rock group. check em out!

Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick would play crossed, open handed, left footed, right footed, and he was the only drummer I have ever seen that could do it all. He was very versataile.

Carter Beauford
Billy Cobham
Dennis Wilson
lenny white
dennis chambers (thinks its showing-off) HA! Thats all I play, no time for monkey cross arm stuff, sorry traditional players...
gary husband
dom famularo
john blackwell
Larry Mullen Jr
Mike Mangini
Kenny Aronoff (count him anyway)
Simon Phillips-------this guy played w/ Camel and a slew of others :) No wonder he sounded familiar.
Bobby Jarzombek

Wegadrummer
jpekarek
drumslaveDave

I wonder if there are more lefties than us?

Great idea for a thread! I have always played open (left hand on hihat and ride. right hand snare). My first teacher played that way and insisted I do and I'm thankful he did. I do cross over some, but not very much. Maybe about as much as the typical crossed drummer might play open, perhaps 5 percent of the time.

I would say if someone has their hihat and ride cymbal on the right, they are also playing open, just using the right hand for hat/ride and the left for snare.

Funny how you never see anyone play ride cymbal crossed, but playing hihat crossed is predominant. I guess even crossed drummers will play open if they get a chance to!

See my open setup at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18719

www.terrasonus.com

I play open...left hand hi hat and right hand ride, crossing only occasionally.
I learned traditional grip and cross handed but now play both match grip (french style) and left hand traditional and mainly open.
I first saw open handed playing back in 1976 after about 5 years of playing but never encorporated it until about 1996...due to the fact I had four left handed students and did not want to re arrange the kit constantly...so I suggested open playing to them as an option and of course needed to teach myself.
Well I loved it and never looked back.

The drummer from Godsmack, Shannon Larkin plays really cool, like Animal from the Muppets and uses all possible combinations in an amazing display of drumming and co ordination...i havent quite figured out the finer switches as he never stops but I am honing in on immitaing it...
The drummer from Judas Priest, Scott Travis has a really cool open technique with doubles on the hi hat LLRRLLRR and hits the snare on 2 and 4 with the right hand while the left is on the hat...plus he does the basic left hand open playing.
Simmon Philips was the first on I saw do open playing on video

All excellent drummers indeed! Look up some videos on Bobby Jarzombeck, he is the most astounding open handed drummer I have ever seen.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=jarzombek&search=Search

Mindblowing.

That should put forever to rest the invalid claim that having the left hand do ride somehow robs your playing of stamina and strength. The dude's a fokin' monster! He didn't have have a ride cymbal that I could see - just rode a crash with his left hand. He also made good use of playing open, executing a lot of fills that would be impossible for a crossed player, or that would at least slow a crossed playing significantly!

Now I'm just waiting for people to say that playing open is "cheating"!

www.terrasonus.com

Josh Eppard formerly of 'heed, but now has Weerd Science or something like that.

Oh and how could I forget, bada** me plays open handed too

Joey Castillo - Queens of the Stone Age

(Sometimes he also plays with his right hand on his hi-hats, and sometimes with his left. Of course, on his woodblock and on his ride cymbals he always plays with his right hand...)

Mike Bordin from Faith No More and Ozzy he open handed and a VEry Hard Hiter!!!

btw....Just saw him last nite with ozzy and Black Label Society my ears are ringing my neck hurts....it was great!!!!

Open handed southpaw here. My dad plays righty, so I just came to playing this way naturally when I was a kid, sitting down at a right handed setup and playing. Wasn't until a few years later until I realised that it wasn't normal.

Another awesome open handed guy is the drummer for the Zawinul (RIP) syndicate. Paco Sery from Ivory Coast. heres a video link-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXjEuTYoyXo

Do you find it weird that its mostly black cats that take to playing this open handed style? I think they're onto something...

Do you find it weird that its mostly black cats that take to playing this open handed style? I think they're onto something...

I wonder if a lot of open-handed players first took up some other instrument, maybe even hand percussion. No musicians cross their hands to play any other instrument and they might have fallen into open-handed playing as the most natural, sensible approach to playing the drums, based on playing "open handed" congas, guitar or piano.

Back