Five and a half months later...

MaryO

Platinum Member
and lessons are still going strong. Starting to feel less like a complete noob and actually learning a few things. Still have a long way to go but my teacher gave me a great compliment last week when he simply looked at me and said "you're becoming a better drummer. I really am noticing improvement in technique and knowledge over what I saw just a month ago." Music to my ears :)

Last week I was downstairs fooling around with a new song and the boyfriend walked down and said "I didn't know you knew how to play that song". I looked at him and smiled and said I didn't...it had just tried playing along to it for the first time. Made me feel as if I really was on the right track.

Still so much to learn and what I don't know is astonishing! I still have to say that taking the plunge and starting lessons, even at 43, was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

So now I'm starting to wonder, where do I go from here? I always thought I just wanted to learn to play so I could play along to some tunes and stay in my basement. But I'm starting to think I would like the experience of playing with a band at some point. I don't want it to be a career or anything but something part time would be fun. I know I'm a long way from that but wonder if it's a possibility.

I don't know...Do any of you have experience as starting as an "older" drummer and what did you do with your skills once you learned? Just curious and looking towards the future.

Thanks everyone and, as always, Happy Drumming!

That's great Mary!
I remember when you first joned us here and you talked about your first kit.
Keep up the good work and I'm glad that you enjoy drumming so much.

As far as what to do with the skills you've acquired, that's up to you! There are so many avenues open - open mic/jam nights at clubs, getting together with people at parties and playing, finding a group of like-minded amateurs who want to improve their skills. You may eventually want to put together a band for some additional income, but that will take time.

Whatever you decide, I would highly recommend playing with other musicians as soon as you feel you are ready. There is nothing like the interaction between players - it's a whole social event in itself, and you will improve much more quickly when playing with others.

Ultimately, music is about communication, and conversation flows so much more freely in person!

That's great news Mary! I would highly suggest finding other musicians to play with - that's what it's all about as far as I'm concerned. Spend alot of time doing what you're already doing and I'll bet some like-minded guitar player will come and find you as the word gets out that you play ;)

Whatever you decide, I would highly recommend playing with other musicians as soon as you feel you are ready. There is nothing like the interaction between players - it's a whole social event in itself, and you will improve much more quickly when playing with others.

I couldn't agree more. The single best "practice" session I know of. Ultimately, it's what making music is all about. Do it as soon as possible. It doesn't have to be a gigging band of seasoned pro's with you bashing away outside your comfort zone. Just your bass player boyfriend, a guitarist and possibly a singer for an impromtu jam session every so often. Try and swing it. If you can hold a beat you're ready to jam....simple as that. I see too many posters here that feel like they have to spend 5 or 6 years shedding alone in their bedrooms before they're "worthy" of playing with others. What a waste of time IMHO. There's so much they're missing out on.

Most people can't make music alone on a drum kit....get out there and make it with others....that's what it's all about. At any level.....from impromtu jam for the fun of it, to garage band, to paid gigs.......it's all good.

I echo what Pocket and ID are saying.

I highly recommend going to open mic blues jams. Blues should be the first required music to learn, so much is based on it. It's basic, but not simple. Plus it teaches you good meter, pocket, dynamics, support of soloists...I just can't say enough. I recommend not waiting and just finding some open mic blues jams near you and just observe for a little while. I bet soon enough you will say to yourself..."I can do that..."

The sooner you play with others....that's when the real learning starts Mary. Get your 43 year old behind out there and get in the thick of things.

People are often surprised when they learn that I've only been playing for five years, they usually think that I've been at it at least ten. To me, one of the main reasons for that is that my first live gig was six months into my drumming career and since then I've always been involved in playing with other musicians in some form of another, no matter how crappy the band, I've been playing live constantly, there is no single way of getting better. Playing actual music with real people will push you and it will FORCE you to get better and you will, best of all you won't even notice it because you'll be having so much fun, there really is nothing like it. As others have said, if you can keep a beat, you're ready to play, go for it. You'll be surprised at all you can do in a short time if you keep up dedicated practice sessions and find some musicians to jam with.

Great job, Mary! As the others are saying, sit in on a couple of jam sessions and have some fun!

If you want to take it further, pick your favorite style of music and start learning the most popular songs within that genre. Once you get a few of them down, put up some adds at your local music stores or on craigslist seeking band mates interested in the same type of music. When you get a couple of responses, ask them to learn the songs in that genre that you know and set up a time for a rehearsal. Practice the tunes, have fun, and at the end of the rehearsal collaborate with them to decide on what other songs to learn and have them ready for the next rehearsal.

Do this a couple of times and you will have a legit cover band with a quality set list that can start gigging on the weekends for fun and even a little extra cash!

Another agreeing with the idea of joining a band. it's MUCH more fun than drumming at home.

Don't know what you're after but I suggest you don't limit yourself to female groups - mixed groups are especially enjoyable.

Jamming is definately the best thing. You get your own groove and style and temperance for other musicians.

A thing that helped me pick up fairly quickly for speed or working around the kit was play along to my ipod on shuffle. I had things like Jazz, D'n'B, big band, Metal, etc playing and it just eased me into other styles.

And also if I had a song in my head for whatever reason, I'd look it up on youtube, other people's covers, official videos etc and try and learn it.

You'll be surprised how quickly that adds to how you play...

Play with others is something I recommend doing as soon and as much as possible.

Some students are a bit careful about it these days, so I even try to do organize it a bit where I teach instead of normal lessons. It's so important. Even playing with other drummers is great.

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. Part of what's holding me back from playing with others is lack of confidence. I guess I have to jump in with both feet and just do it. I do have a friend coming for the weekend in a few weeks who's a musician. Perhaps a good place to start is to jam with her and get the boyfriend to jump in on bass.

POLLYANNA: I have no problems playing with whoever...actually would probably prefer to play in a mixed group as opposed to an all female group actually.

INSPIRED DRUMMER: I love the idea of a classic rock cover band. Perhaps something to work towards :) Most of the songs I'm working on are 70's and 80's classic rock and that seems to be what I have the most fun playing. Definitely something to think about.

Back