Dampening!!!!!!

KamaK

Platinum Member
After seeing the following, and enjoying the ever-entertaining "Tom Angles" thread. I present, for your viewing pleasure:

Dampening!!!!

A thread committed to the fine art of dampening bass drums.

The below is the condition in which a rental was returned to my brother's shop.

zkBMm68.jpg

Note, the afghan wasn't included with the rental.

After seeing the following, and enjoying the ever-entertaining "Tom Angles" thread. I present, for your viewing pleasure:

Dampening!!!!

A thread committed to the fine art of dampening bass drums.

The below is the condition in which a rental was returned to my brother's shop.

zkBMm68.jpg

Note, the afghan wasn't included with the rental.

At least it was being innovative. Maybe the fellow who rented it knows something about dampening we haven't caught onto yet? :)

Wow! A new kind of drum sound. Might sound interesting.

Bass drum stick buzz.

This only works with a properly tuned batter head. LOL

drum-muffling-extreme.jpg

I think KIS needs to invest in getting some Guru branded hardwood paint stirrers.

I wonder if I'd get part of the commission?

Awesome Jim!

At least it looks like a single ply head. I always chuckle when I hear people bragging about not using any dampening, but they are using heads dampened from the factory. PS3, Sk, pinstripes, EC's etc. Anything except a single ply head has some dampening qualities built in.

I think KIS needs to invest in getting some Guru branded hardwood paint stirrers.

Awesome Jim!

Andy was beaten to the punch. The Home Depot ones are already one piece solid wood, not mystery plywood like the production brand ones. ;-)

When I bought my Slingerland kit, the bass drum came with an entire double bed sheet set, complete with pillow cases and one pillow.

They are of quite good quality, and I use them on my guest bed (minus the pillow).

Awesome Jim!
I think we might just pass on this stunning innovation ;)

Andy was beaten to the punch. The Home Depot ones are already one piece solid wood, not mystery plywood like the production brand ones. ;-)
I shall not be obsessing over such trivia ;)

The man is clearly a guitarist.

When I bought my Slingerland kit, the bass drum came with an entire double bed sheet set, complete with pillow cases and one pillow.

They are of quite good quality, and I use them on my guest bed (minus the pillow).
Bonus! :)

I don't have a photo, but I was playing a house kit this fall and the kick was stuffed to the absolute gills with sheets. Like, the heads were bulging. There was no sound coming out whatsoever.

I pulled them out, and they kept coming and coming. I must have had 15 feet of bed sheet when I was done. I felt like a magician pulling a never ending handkerchief out of my sleeve. Wow.

I love the paint stirrer taped to the head. That is totally out of control!!

Someone posted a winner from another thread....

attachment.php

I wish I had taken pictures. I went to a friend's house who is a guitar player, and put new heads on his drummer's drumset, since he said his drummer doesn't give a shit about the sound that the drums were in need of some love and care. The heads were indeed dead and flappy. The kick tuned up nicely and quickly with a new head, and then I went to the rack tom. I saw a piece of sponge in there, and I tried to remove it. Nope, it was hot glued in. One of the lugs was broken and fixed with hot glue as well. A SPONGE WAS HOT GLUED INSIDE THE SHELL UP AGAINST THE BEARING EDGE. A. SPONGE.

I laughed a lot. I got it sounding a lot better, but there's only so much that can be done I suppose.

A SPONGE! HOT GLUED!

It seems like a bad dream...did it really happen?

How does one think to use a..... paint stirrer?
And that home made dampening 'falam' patch? Looks like a bag of icing sugar. haha clearly the beater ripped through that in a minute or two.

Reminds me of playing the last gig with a Hendrix cover trio being the guitarist and lead vocal.

I had gotten my Tama Granstar tuned up and my drummer played it that rehearsal evening before. Besides the Remo PS3 damping I got still got nothing but air and it sounds huge.

But the drums sounded louder that evening and I did enjoy being in front of it.

Anyway comes the gig and my drummer agrees to borrow the kit all ready there. I took my Marshall 50 watt combo and guitar. The bass player I think borrowed the amps that was there.

What a difference!! That kit was taped down and the feel of the drums where not in the same place at all.

Back in 2001 I was in another cover band and the first drummer had a Pearl Export kit in black. He did not care for tuning and the bass drum was stuffed with pillows or was it a duvet? It was not by order of the band to make the drums less loud but he and the kit did not sound good together at all.

At the first gig there was a platform but once the drums where there the sound was not to good and no space for the rest of the band. When it came for introductions later in the set the crowd booed him.

How does one think to use a..... paint stirrer?
And that home made dampening 'falam' patch? Looks like a bag of icing sugar. haha clearly the beater ripped through that in a minute or two.

Its an American thing, you use whatever you have in front of you right in the moment, was probably right there with the tape. Am sure that wasn't planned.

Simon Phillips has his way.

The last used kit I bought had a pillow, a blanket, and 2 sweatshirts stuffed in the 20x14 bass drum. The batter was a REMO Powersonic, with a falam patch. What I thought was a custom reso turned out to be a black t-shirt wrapped/tied around a clear powerstroke 4.

Dampening? More like deadening!

"Slightly better, which is what you want...You can even shove your aunti's underwear in there." The world famous British elegance :p

I like the idea of only wanting something slightly better too.

Hey, in a world full of mediocrity and lowered expectations, sometimes slightly better will do.

Back