Djembe Stand

Nealio1987

Hi all

Im recording a djembe part very soon and need advice , i thought i would need a stand to keep the djembe still for mic purposes , does anyone know of any way of recording without forking out for a djembe stand .... i.e using other stands as a makeshift ... i cant think of anything ??? i will only be using it the once....thanks and best wishes

nealio

Something like this should work. Just flip the lid open, remove the "pot", and stick your djembe down in it.

DSC00577.jpg

Whenever I have recorded djembe, I have never used a stand. I record it as a play it, usually seated, the bowl between my knees and the foot behind my crossed ankles. If you change the positioning or mounting of the drum when you are going into the studio you are just asking for trouble because you will introduce unfamiliarity.

I have used an Audio Technica PRO 35 clip on condenser and they work great and stay out of the way. A Shure SM 57 would work just as well but might get in the way.

Thanks ,

Do you mic the top and bottom when you are recording ??

and sgt thump , dont send anymore of your personal belongings haha !

Thanks ,

he he ;)

I use the cheap simple $29 Djembe stand from Remo. My Djembe is big and if the bottom isn't off the floor at least a few inches, you don't get the low end at all.

Thanks ,

Miking the bottom for recording isn't a bad idea. I have found the AT PRO 35 works fine just clipped to the rim, but if you're sitting while recording, it would be easy to floor-mount a bass drum mic at the mouth of the foot and aim it into the drum. You could get some great thump to mix up.

Miking the bottom for recording isn't a bad idea. I have found the AT PRO 35 works fine just clipped to the rim, but if you're sitting while recording, it would be easy to floor-mount a bass drum mic at the mouth of the foot and aim it into the drum. You could get some great thump to mix up.

Have you tried putting a 421 on the top and a D1-12 on the bottom? My fav set-up. D1-12 can be also substitued for some sort of speaker-jurry-rigged-as-mic for more sub. When I record djembe I always just sit with my legs crossed in front... It doesn't move around all that much, just squeeze with your thighs.

The only time I've recorded a Djembe we just used one mic - set no more than a foot from the drum and I held it between my legs. I was able to get all the tones I wanted.

What I have seen for a cheap stand that works well is to use a cymbal stand with the legs folded up pretty high touching the bottom of the Djembe to keep ithe Djembe from sliding down and the top part of the stand puncturing the head.

Set the cymbal stand legs high, but not high enough to wobble and fall over. AND USE ONLY THE BOTTOM PORTION OF THE STAND, remove the top one or two parts of the stand and certainly the part that holds the cymbals. You don't want that part puncturing the head.

Thanks very much guys , rogue this is exactly what I was looking for , a cheap way of doing things haha , i might just try holding it too , but im defnetley going to try this ... thankyou all !!!

Nealio

Back