I'd like opinions on the sound of my Ludwig Brass Supraphonic snare...

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I'll go into more details after I get a reply or two, but in a nutshell...

I got this brass edition supra in a trade a few months back. The previous owner purchased it brand new not too long before he traded it to me. I just put a new Remo Vintage Emporer on the batter, Ambassador on the snare-side, and new 20-strand PureSound Custom snares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmyir1tc3g

I'm very curious to get opinions on the tone. I recorded with a Zoom Q3HD recorder and it pretty much captures exactly what I hear in the room.

Thanks!

Chris

PS - I didn't put this in the "My Playing" section, because... well... it's not about my playing (thank God!)

I like it.
It sounds like a Brass BB (only chrome!! :) ).

I have Brass BB's, but I also have one of these BE snares.
There's not really any difference in sound at all between the BB finish and chrome.

With the snares off, it sounded a little bit like you were using tiny mallets (like the VF mallet felt tip sticks), because the attack was not real crisp sounding (maybe stick tip wear also?). I'd say that's probably due to the Vintage Emperor head being pretty thick.
Not saying it was bad sound, just a little muted on the stick sound.

Snares on, when you adjusted, there didn't seem to be too much change in sound (just a slight drop in pitch maybe).
That may be what's heard in the recording, your ear may have picked up more differences. More differences might be more noticeable with different head tensions too.

I like the rim shot sound you got. Nice crack, good body, cool overtones etc...

I use a Coated Emperor with a Top Dot on mine. It's not as thick of film as a VE (2 7's vs. 2 7.5), and the dot evens out the overtones. I get the ringy tone right off the dot. But, even with your tuning, your touch, and the different heads, my shell has the same basic character that yours has.
Pretty much any head will sound good on this drum.

You did well in your trade I'd say!
Sweet snare, have fun with it!!

I may have to buy one of those recorders. It did a nice job, and I've been thinking to get one for a while....

I like!! Good job.

If only my snare sounded that good.

you batter head is tuned a little low for my tastes. Unlike Karl, I'm not fond of the overtones you are getting, but that's just my personal preference. I'd tune it up a bit and even out that ring.

Otherwise, I'm jealous. I'm dying for a brass snare right now. The money just isn't there.

Sounds awesome! Sounds just like my black beauty. I think I may go and get one of those zoom recorders! There goes Ludwig, stealing the snare show yet again. Good luck with it!

sounds slightly out of tune and tuned a tad low

but also sounds like it has the potential to sound absolutely amazing

has a lot of the same characteristics as my Black Beauty

Sounds good, but a bit too low for my tastes. It sounds a little too "loose", for me. But nice snare+sound!

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

If this snare is out of tune, it's not by much. I spent a fair amount of time making sure both the batter and snare-side head were in tune to themselves, then a smaller amount of time adjust the actual pitch from the heads. This snare is actually tuned a little lower than I'd normally tune other snares, but I think this drum likes a low or medium tuning better. Would you guys call my tuning medium? I think so?

Anyway... I posted this, because I've been having issues getting this drum to sound the way I wanted/expected. It came to me in mint condition with the stock reso, upgraded reverse power dot batter, and big 'ole PureSound snares (not sure exactly how many strands, but over 30.) It was tuned worse than any other snare drum I've heard. Both heads were SUPER low and the snares were all rattling and stuff.

Right before I made this video is the first time I've changed the reso head. That "saran wrap" like stock reso head was likely causing at least some of my tonal woes. I've experimented with an Ambassador batter head too and different snares.

I think I'm much closer now to what I hear in my head than I've been in the past few months. I think the thicker Vintage Emporer batter, Ambassador snare-side, and 20-strand snares are what this drum needed.

I'm getting much happier with it now. It was aggravating, because this is a legendary drum and I wasn't getting what I wanted out of it. My expectations were really high and it was a letdown for a little while. LOL! Hopefully, I fall in love the way I expect soon!

Also, I agree with the sound being somewhat muted with the snares off and I'm sure it's from that thicker head. Not saying it sounds bad, but a little muted. However, that seems to work well with the snares on!

I've used the Zoom Q3 (and now Q3HD) handheld recorders for a couple of years and I'm amazed by the sound they pick up. It really is close to being in the room. I've taped several bands I've been in and the audio quality is really quite amazing.

I'd say the snare in the OP is more Med-loose. Not loose, but not fully medium either.
Another 1/4-1/2 tun each lug would be Medium to my ear.

My Brass snares have a tight reso head ("cranked" by others standards probably), and a fairly tight batter. It's tight enough for the feel and action I want, but maximum sensitivity between the heads and wires (20 strand mainly).

I get a good, solid crack, but fewer overtones than yours has in the video, but I do like ring/overtones here. I like some "dirt" in a snare sound generally.
All that "extra" gets absorbed into the sound of a band anyway, and it's better for projection IMO/E in a live setting.

Sounds great to me! (Though I might like a teeny bit more tightening on the wires).

I have not had good luck with brass snares. The ones I've tried (including a Ludwig) sound a little clunky to me. I prefer the "dryness" of chrome. But that could just be what I'm used to.

I'd say the snare in the OP is more Med-loose. Not loose, but not fully medium either.
Another 1/4-1/2 tun each lug would be Medium to my ear.

My Brass snares have a tight reso head ("cranked" by others standards probably), and a fairly tight batter. It's tight enough for the feel and action I want, but maximum sensitivity between the heads and wires (20 strand mainly).

I get a good, solid crack, but fewer overtones than yours has in the video, but I do like ring/overtones here. I like some "dirt" in a snare sound generally.
All that "extra" gets absorbed into the sound of a band anyway, and it's better for projection IMO/E in a live setting.

I know what you're saying... I like ring and overtones, but I don't particularly like the sound of snare wires that are too loose. When listening to the snare by itself, I'll sometimes tighten up the snare wires to help get rid of rattling. But sure enough, when I start playing the kit together (alone or with a band), I end up loosening them a little. Can't even hear the snare wire buzz once other things are added to it.

Tuned it up just a tiny bit higher last night and used it at band rehearsal. I do like it up just a bit from this video. I'm gonna use it at a gig tomorrow and see how it sounds. I should have video of it at some point, so I'll post it back here.

It seems to have more crack now, which is what's missing from the first video for me. I like that big, snarey tone from the first one, and I've been experimenting with my snare in roughly the same way, but I always end up tightening the batter head more than I'd expect to. The mid-loose seems to get lost in a band situation.

It seems to have more crack now, which is what's missing from the first video for me. I like that big, snarey tone from the first one, and I've been experimenting with my snare in roughly the same way, but I always end up tightening the batter head more than I'd expect to. The mid-loose seems to get lost in a band situation.

Yeah, I hear ya. I sure do love snare drums, but they can be so freaking aggravating too. lol

Back