Drummerworld Social Groups

Michael G

Silver Member
MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was moved to DrummerWorld Site News because of Bernhard's contribution to the conversation. Social Groups for drumming related issues are welcome. Social Groups that are jokes, incite dissention on the forum, or violate the posted rules are not welcome. Those who use the Social Groups for these purposes will be invited to find a more appropriate Internet forum in which to participate.

******************************************************************​

The other day, I just found out we could leave visitor messages, and that you can have albums viewable in your profile. Well, I have decided to start taking advantage of these extra features, instead of collecting dust.

Today, I noticed, hey, we can form DW social groups. I am not sure what all you can do with this feature, and there is only one group currently available called the Ringo and Steve Gadd fan club made by Bernhard as a test.

I think I'll take a leap and make the second actual social group.

On what, I don't know. Maybe a DW jazz group, I know that makes up a good part of members here that could join, or maybe a Ludwig club that has a collaboration of every Ludwig set owner on the forum with pictures of their respective kits. And the same could go for other companies, and not so common brands can be grouped to larger general ideas like Custom drum sets (GMS, Unix, Orange County, any of those fancy schmancy ones), maybe there is a better title for that though.

Thoughts? Interest at all?

Edit: I have decided to a make Ludwig group, if you own a Ludwig drum set or snare, try joining it and submitting photos to the gallery and maybe we can end up with a large gallery of every Ludwig owners Ludwig drums in one place easy to view place. Adding photos is kind of weird, first you have to upload your pictures you want in the gallery to an album in your profile, then copy the URL and use it to upload it into the group's gallery.

Any other brand name owners I encourage to attempt to make one as well. Maybe someone could start a cymbal one, Bosphorus would be a good idea or istanbul.

Also drummer groups would be good as well, Buddy Rich or whoever floats your boat, and other boats as well.

Maybe a metal drummers group, or another genre.

A drum builders group

Anything! Try it out.

Anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea, but we can't just make a group for every brand, we must keep things creative. Maybe, "Mike Portnoy is not overrated"

This is a great idea, but we can't just make a group for every brand, we must keep things creative. Maybe, "Mike Portnoy is not overrated"

There doesn't have to be, but it makes best use of the social group function. Say there are 75 people that are in the Ludwig group, and they all submitted photos. So there are 75+ pics of Ludwig goodness all in one place and not spread out through the Your Gear section, and you can comment on the photos.

But then there are the groups to represent interests of a the particular user. So if you like Mike Portnoy alot, you'd be in your social group with a bunch of others, and when people see your groups, they see that your a member and it creates networks of similar types of drummers.

Then there might be a jazz social group, where it has a collective bunch of all the jazz cats on these forums. You can post messages on the group page, questions, or just talk about jazz drummers or musicians. Or submit various related photos

So yes, it is not only for drums, I'm just saying at the moment, thats what it works best for. I hope the whole thing attracts enough attention where all these kinds of groups and networks are formed.

I think its just crazy enough to bring everyone together better and form an impressive community, proving to all other sites just how fly this one is.

It sounds kind of cheesy, I know, but if taken full advantage of though, we can have a cool thing going on here.

Will this encourage covnersations away from the main forum though? (I haven't checked out the social groups yet so sorry if this is a daft quaestion).

Adding photos is kind of weird, first you have to upload your pictures you want in the gallery to an album in your profile, then copy the URL and use it to upload it into the group's gallery.

Actually, you don't have to mess around with URLs in order to add pictures to a group. Just open up your album, and below the pictures you'll notice a grey bar with a link that says "Add Pictures to a Group". Click on it, choose the pictures you want to add by clicking on them and finally select the target group from the pop-up menu. Even a singer could do it!

This new features "Social Groups" and "Albums" came with the big update we made some weeks ago.

So i installed it and wait now, what happens.
(...accessible via Quick Links and Control Panel)

I see it very positive and i really appreciate the ideas from Smooth Jazz...

So let's give it a try ...hopefully great things to come.

Nice steamer, I'll be able to join that group some day soon.

2 new members now in the Ludwig group, Bernhard and That_Guy welcome! And I'm gonna try to get some more by posting in Ludwig your gear threads.

Come on DW guys, lets have some more interest. It's a cool feature.

Yes I started the ball rolling by making an album then posting a few pictures from it and adding the first message onto the group I created. Very easy and simple to do.

Hope to see others {like yourself:} } Smooth Jazz join in on the fun soon.

A couple of great new features {album,groups} and thanks for giving us all the heads up and your ideas. Many thanks to Bernhard for adding these features during the latest update.

I'll have to take some pics of the Ludwigs and join up. Hopefully this doesn't become an overused feature with hundreds of random "groups" for no reason ala "Mike Portnoy not overrated group". WTF is up with that??

I'll have to take some pics of the Ludwigs and join up. Hopefully this doesn't become an overused feature with hundreds of random "groups" for no reason ala "Mike Portnoy not overrated group". WTF is up with that??

Well that group is just basically a Mike Portnoy fan thing.

But you do have a point, as I notice the "MFB group," obviously really just made for himself just to be a wise guy.

Actually, you don't have to mess around with URLs in order to add pictures to a group. Just open up your album, and below the pictures you'll notice a grey bar with a link that says "Add Pictures to a Group". Click on it, choose the pictures you want to add by clicking on them and finally select the target group from the pop-up menu. Even a singer could do it!

Nice tip! Now its basically no hassle at all for anyone wanting to submit pictures.

Ludwig group is coming along great, and I see a Gretsch one was made as well.

When I first joined DW, my first post was a picture of my set on what I thought, was a Ludwig fan club. After learning more about this site, I now know that this probably should have been in the "My Gear" thread. But is this new Ludwig club different from the old one?

When I first joined DW, my first post was a picture of my set on what I thought, was a Ludwig fan club. After learning more about this site, I now know that this probably should have been in the "My Gear" thread. But is this new Ludwig club different from the old one?

That was just a thread, this is a new feature where you actually a join this social group, and submit your Ludwigs into the gallery.

Instead of getting lost in the threads of the Your Gear section, the stay together with the oher Ludwig photos for people to view and comment in one place.

Back