Carrying practice pads

FFFF

I used to carry a pair of sticks and a practice pad around when I was in high school. Since I'm doing music in uni now, I thought maybe I could carry a pad around and squeeze a little practice time in between things (since it's crucial for me to be playing). But a bit more problems now before getting back to it. First of all, I know I shouldn't really be worrying about it, but it's about self consciousness: I'm worried that people think I'm pretentious, or showing off; to pull out a pad and drum during breaks at work, sitting in the middle of the campus and randomly pound to my repertoire, etc. Secondly, Now that I'm more considerate as compared to myself years ago, I'm least likely to play, especially in an indoor environment. So maybe I might be carrying it for nothing? And finally, the pad could take up space in my bag. Any small and light pads to suggest?

Just curious what you guys think of it, or maybe share some experiences you had with it.

If you're that committed to keeping up the practice regime, might that be a sign that you should be studying drums full time?

No-one says you have to make a performance out of it. There's little need to break out the sticks and pad when there's 400 odd people mooching around the quadrangle. But do you find yourself alone, or at least in less exposed situations throughout the day? If so, that's your practice time. I can relate to not wanting to 'put on a performance' so to speak, but if the situation arises to get some pad time in, then go for it.

I remember reading a post where a member (Monica, from my rather shattered memory), talked about keeping sticks, a pad and a copy of stick control in her car. When 'down time' reared its head, she got in some practice.............dedicated!!

If you're worrying about beeing seen differently (well, all what idiots around would think about), just don't care. I know it's easy to say, but just do your things, practice, review your rudiments and let people around do their things.
I already felt what you're talking about, when you're more considerate as compared to years ago and least likely to play. What I advise you to do is let those ideas, those feelings out of your mind, follow your path, your studies, your goal, your target in life and make the difference in what you have to do and what you don't have to do.
If you're looking for a good practice pad as you described in your post, buy the 6" Vic Firth one. I use it and it plays, rebounds and feels really, really well! It is small and doesn't take so much place in a backpack and a little lighter than some other practice pads.

If you're often around hard surfaces, you could get yourself a can of Remo's Putty Practice Pad. Much more portable than a traditional pad, and good enough to suffice if you're just squeezing in a few minutes of practice.

As for the "practicing in public" dilemma, I think it depends on your comfort level. I think most people can tell the difference between somebody who's practicing in earnest and someone who's just trying to show off, though I must admit that I've gotten self-conscious while doing the former.

Last edited:
practice need not only be with the hands/feet/stick/pad. Mind and timing also needs practice.

I remember watching a video of Gavin saying (or something to this effect) he was practicing with a practice pad before and suddenly thought that he should really be practicing the brain/mind more.

anyway, personally, I don't practice with sticks/pads in open/public places (I honestly am a shy person :) ). If there's some "free" time outside, I normally just tap my hands and feet and think of patterns. I've also found the "chid" and accent exercises from Greb's video helpful in this "stickless/padless" practice.

added benefit is no additional baggage :)

hth...

Look at me & my setup in two different occasion during our camping trips. I dont f*****g mind people looking at me with their "question mark" faces. I do it for me and not for others and less for showing off. I take free or spare times for my improvement.

Attachments

• fullbacksideview.jpg
    fullbacksideview.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 268
  • campingdrumpractice.jpg
    campingdrumpractice.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 273
Thanks for your opinions, advice, and suggestions!

Just the thought of the course criteria really made me worried about my overall performance in uni, which is why I thought bringing this back. not to mention the new job I got and blablabla...

I guess it's definitely a challenge to overcome the the thought of how people sees you. I think it's definitely more about what is better for you: practice or pride. I'm guessing I'll be practicing more to sheet music this time as compare to before, where I tend to show off my chops (I know, I know).

Looks like I might as well go for it!

Thanks again!

Thanks for your opinions, advice, and suggestions!

Just the thought of the course criteria really made me worried about my overall performance in uni, which is why I thought bringing this back. not to mention the new job I got and blablabla...

I guess it's definitely a challenge to overcome the the thought of how people sees you. I think it's definitely more about what is better for you: practice or pride. I'm guessing I'll be practicing more to sheet music this time as compare to before, where I tend to show off my chops (I know, I know).

Looks like I might as well go for it!

Thanks again!

One other thought...you can always wander off somewhere and be alone easily enough. Sitting in a building with a ton of students? Wander down a quiet hallway and sit and practice, etc. I do this all the time. Less distractions for you, less noise for the other people around.

I have a practice pad in my car at all times. I also have a way to practice my bass drum technique as well at work.

Attachments

• DSC_01901.JPG
    DSC_01901.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 236
I'm sure college hasn't changed too much in twenty years......YES, there are plenty of people who will think your pretentious, especially if you can't hold a small crowd's interest....no offense to anyone, but I'm sure you've all seen the guitar-geek walking around campus, never without the instrument....then you hear him play, and all you can think is...... go crack open a book dude. (The opposite is of course also true....if you are good, people will take notice, and now you've got an audience.)
It's okay to be self-conscious, you are putting yourself on display, and drawing attention...so prepare yourself for the gamut of responses......otherwise, like it's been said, go find a nice quite corner.

theres this one pocket sized pad that i think is made by HQ. anyways, as most people have been saying, do it for yourself, not for the other people. it may be entertaining or show offy or it may just confuse people and make them think ur weird. but at the end of the day, you will have kept ur chops in great shape.

I'd be way too embarrassed to do this but if you can do I can see how it would be an efficient way to squeeze practice into a busy schedule.

If I did do it, the minute people started watching I would play an ostinato until they went away. After a while they'd figure there'd be nothing to watch and leave me in peace to focus.

someone asked on a thread awhile back about a "cheap practice pad" and a member mentioned a mouse pad for a PC. I have the Remo practice pad and it's noisey as hell so I tried my mouse pad and it's replaced the Remo....lol.

Nice and quiet, fair rebound, and it'll take up little space if you need to pack one around. You'll need a flat hard surface and it may just be the ticket for you? As far as what people think......%$#@! em!!!!!

I dont know about going small, but you could also try going quiter so less people hear? I believe the HQ practice pad's are really quiet.

Back