Drum Situation

xb2003

Hey,
I have kinda got a story that goes along with this, so...ya know. Anyways:

Im a drummer(really? Dur da Dur), and i have a huge drumset. And im going to be honest, im a highschool student who was spoiled with this huge beast of a drumset some 5 years ago or something. Just to list it, its a Pearl Export, 12-Piece. 2 Bass, Snare, 6 Toms, 3 Single Head Toms(not roto, like concert toms). And i kind of feel like i have outgrown it. Its just kinda Mismatched, and nothing sounds real great. And i have grown it from a 5 Peice. But to save a lot of details, i enjoy playing on a 5-Piece Drumset more then this thing. Im having a really hard time suggesting this to my dad, because he is the one who has funded this whole thing. So here is the deal:
Recently my friend wrote a song. And luckly i have a teacher friend at a small school who happeneds to have a recording studio in the music room. High quality crap. No drum fx, but im mean, Pre-Sonus Digital Mixer, Audix Mics, everything. So after we lay down the drums, i listen to it, and im like "man, those sound so...outspread(was the word that came to mind)." They really didnt sound too bad, individually (except my crappy cast bronze cymbals). But together, it all sounded like crap. I had always thought it was just my listening point that mad it sound bad, but i think this is kinda the icing on the cake.

So here is what im trying to say:
I want something small, and easy to record. Here is what my Preference would be: 10", 12", 14" toms, preferably somewhat short, maybe 6-ply maple or birch. 14x7 or 14x3 snare. Preferably Birch, as many plys as reasonable. And a kick that is either 22x18, or 20x20. Preferably Mahogony, or Maple. What would be a good brand and series to look at to accomplish this for....800-1200USD used. I think i can sell my 12 peice for $1000.00-$1250.00. Maybe im unreasonable, but ive seen other ones somewhat like it do that good. But if i did accomplish this, should i save up and get something a little more expensive, and stick with my crappy cymbals until i can afford new ones? Im playing Classic Rock, and Avenged Sevenfold(not metal or rock, just a7x) mainly. But i play in school stage band, and who knows what offers i could get. So these drums need to be a good sound all around. Im a fan of deep toms, and thumpy basses, but not muddy. Thats why i said 10,12,14, and not +2" on each.

I dont know what to say, i just really want a:
-Smaller Drumset
That:
-Sounds Good All Around

What would be an idea on where to start?

Id like to do some self recording, but im not even going to start that investment until i get a set that sounds decent together. My Bass's are even made out of the same wood.

Thanks for the help...

Pearl Exports really aren't a bad kit. Why not scale it back down to a 5 piece and invest your money into new heads, a good snare and some decent cymbals? Just that upgrade alone will do wonders for bringing some new life into the old kit.

what PfoG says

Pearl exports are quite a good kit - I'd hazard a guess that it's the skins and tuning that need some attention and you may be amazed how good it sounds.

How about disassembling your kit and reaassembling it as a kit the size you want - go to your local drumshop and have a play on kits with various different skins and work out which ones provide the sound you're after - a couple of hundred $s should get you there - perhaps replace some cymbals with a couple of really nice ones and play it for a few months.

It doesn't hurt to have a monster kit sitting in the corner in case you feel the urge again ;-)

Agreed, get rid (I mean sell) all but your favorite 5 drums and buy better heads(dont forget the resos), hardware (if needed) and cymbals.
You'll be golden for a while, then at a later date, you can sell your 5 pc Export shell pack, keep your good cymbals and hardware and buy a small or Med size kit of your dreams.

Wow, even I'm suprised at how good an idea that is!. ;) I'm sure your Dad would agree. Fathers want their kids horizons to expand too. :)

Just the same from me.
If you want to 1up a pearl export you'll need to go around 2000$ I feel other wise it not worth it. That brings a different point.
A kit in that price range is worthless with cheap cymbals so would always change those first.
Nothing wrong with cast-bronze for some but you called them crappy yourself.

And....a 5th recommendation as all others have said.

Not a bad kit at all, with new heads all the way around and some good tuning you could have a great recording sound. You can get top quality used cymbals for very good prices on the bay and I think you will be surprised at what that Export can do in the studio.

+ yet another one.

I extensively toured a 5pc export for about 3 years. It was very reliable, and with a good set of heads will sound great! Make sure all the bearing edges are true, and pick your heads wisely (your local drum store should be able to advise you on what is right for your sound). Also change the resonant (bottom) heads, as this makes a big difference too!

Same from me too.

No new kit, just new heads and new cymbals.
New heads on every drum you want to use, top and bottom.
With the money you "save" by not going for a new kit, you'll be able to get a great snare as well. For that, personally, I'd get something tried and true--which there are a few snares that anyone can agree on.

Good luck!!

...another vote for a downsizing upgrade.

If you cull the kit down as others suggest and can not sell the remainder, you could always cut your loss by trading them in on the heads, cymbals and odds and ends that you need for your upgrade.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Barry

Thanks for all the replies.

1st of all, i replaced every head on my drum except the reso bass's about 2 months ago.
Toms- G2/G1
Snare- Power Center Reverse Dot/Hazy (insert number here, i forgot)
Bass- Powersonic/ Pearl Logo Head (i should have gotten an eMad, but the guy at guitar center talked me out of it)

Second of all, the reason i want new shells is because the config with these....well...sucks. The 2 Bass's are made out of different woods, and are 2 different years of Pearl Exports. So the hardware is also different between the 2. Needless to say, i cant for the life of me make them sound even close to each other. And really, neither one achieves that low THUMP sound i like, because 1 is Birch, and one is Maple. Then the tom Config goes 8,10,12,13,16,18. The 8 and 18 are out, they are an older model, and the 18 is not round. And i cant tune the huge jump between the 12-16 or the 13-16 out of it. Im not the greatest tuner in the world, im probably not even good in most of your books. But i know i can at least give them a little life, and not make it sound like your hitting a peice of wood.

I wanted an upgrade because i want a couple things. No freaking tom mount in the top of the bass. I dont use it anyway, and it rattles. 2 toms that use that small, low profile, shell mount. not 7/8" Tubes. But if i cant do this, then i guess i will try and make the export sound good small.

1st of all, i replaced every head on my drum except the reso bass's about 2 months ago.
Toms- G2/G1
Bass- Powersonic/ Pearl Logo Head (i should have gotten an eMad, but the guy at guitar center talked me out of it)

Second of all, the reason i want new shells is because the config with these....well...sucks. The 2 Bass's are made out of different woods, and are 2 different years of Pearl Exports. So the hardware is also different between the 2. Needless to say, i cant for the life of me make them sound even close to each other. And really, neither one achieves that low THUMP sound i like, because 1 is Birch, and one is Maple. Then the tom Config goes 8,10,12,13,16,18. The 8 and 18 are out, they are an older model, and the 18 is not round. And i cant tune the huge jump between the 12-16 or the 13-16 out of it. Im not the greatest tuner in the world, im probably not even good in most of your books. But i know i can at least give them a little life, and not make it sound like your hitting a peice of wood.

I wanted an upgrade because i want a couple things. No freaking tom mount in the top of the bass. I dont use it anyway, and it rattles. 2 toms that use that small, low profile, shell mount. not 7/8" Tubes. But if i cant do this, then i guess i will try and make the export sound good small.

All easy fixes.

Start pairing the matching drums up. That way the lugs match.
Ditch the Powersonic.....truely feeble. EMAD if you like....or check out a PS3.
Tighten the screws that are rattling in the bass drum mount.
Most importantly, practice your tuning. Honestly mate, I gigged and recorded with Exports for years....it ain't the drums. The fact that you're struggling for a good sound is not the drums fault. It's the fault of the guy tuning them. It's an art that doesn't come easily. The more you do it, the better you get.

Realistically, none of the reason you've stated warrant an upgrade. I certainly remember being your age and wanting a "bigger, better kit" and all the bling to go with it. But trust me, kits come and kits go....snares and cymbals tend to go the journey. They are a far better investment in the long run. Play what you have (it's a solid kit) and concentrate on improving. If you had some complete entry level piece of junk, I'd say go ahead and upgrade, but honestly the Exports don't need to be upgraded....you'll just blowing cash that you don't need to. There's plenty of time to get gear obsessed when you've got cash to burn. :)

Go with the best of the bass drums.. Take the 10'', 12'' and the 16''.
Tune the 10'' somewhat higher than the 12'', and tune the 16'' higher than you would normally do. Powerstroke 3's for bass drums are great. Get whatever head you want for the front, Coated ambassador for example.

Remember, it doesn't matter how the drums look when you record! So just pick the best sounding drums. Or make them sound the best. Tune for ages, dampen with a little ducttape here and there... It doesn't look very well, but it sure get's the job done, and it's cheap....

Im not a great tuner either, but i recently discored a trick that get's the drums somewhat near the "sweeeeeet" spot. Try putting your first into the middle of the drum head, which is tuned fingertight. (easier if it's a clear head) Then you tune a half turn on every lug in star pattern until the wrinkles dissappear. After that, you go through each lug, and you make sure, they all sound the same.

For bass drums, don't fill it with clothes, blankets, pillows etc! It really makes them sound like a piece of wood as you mentioned. Try tuning the heads a little tighter than you would normally do. Either leave it open (it might sound great) but if it doesn't then roll up a towel and lay it touching the batter side. You could, if it easily moves attach it to the batter head, with the help of tape!

Also, check the hoop on the 18, it might be out instead of the shell (unless you checked).

A 12-16 or 13-16 is a great combo with nice separation in tone.

Take the mount off the bass drum for no rattle if the thing won't tighten, or just get new bolts and nuts--super cheap at a hardware store.
The bass drum mount is good for using for a ride cymbal arm too. Gives you one more stand to use for something else, and saves space too.

The good thing is all those parts are standard things you can find easily for replacement.

You can always take the tom mount off (or not) and place the tom in a snare stand.

It's all in the tuning.

I still have my toms from my ROYCE drum kit. Cheap mahogany drums with round edges. The same kit called Maxwin used to be sold in the Sears catalog forcryinoutloud!

I put the 12 & 16 on my sons kit and they actually sound really good.
The 12 has had the same G1 coated G1 clear combo on it for more than 5 years and it still sounds good (that's crazy right there!). The 16 has junk legs, and leg mounts, but it sounds fat and full.

Yes, ditch the Powersonic, worse than Feeble IMO.
Coated PS3 (nicer than a clear IMO) or an Emad, SK1 even. Aquarian Studio X heads are nice too.
Try them on both the Birch and Maple drums and see which one you like better...No, they will never sound "the same", but individually they could sound really good.

Yep, matching up lugs from drums you aren't going to use is a great suggestion.

OR, if you like the lugs, and they're sturdy, check into some shells and use the existing hardware. In making your own kit, A LOT of the cost is from the hardware not the shells--unless you get a real expensive wrap (Glass Glitter is at $99 a sheet).

Good luck if you can make it work (and save money)!

Toms- G2/G1

So, I'm going to go the other route from everyone else and say if you have already put a lot of time and effort into your kit and it just isn't what you are after (for whatever reason), then go ahead and sell it (you won't get $1500 for it, but you can at least offset the cost of a new kit substantially). If you can afford it, then go ahead and get something that you are happy with.

From your description of what you are looking for, something like a Tama Hyperdrive kit or a Yamaha Tour Custom kit with a nice snare would be just the thing. The Hyperdrive kit has the short stack rack toms you are looking for, and the Yamaha is just a good all-around mid-level workhorse kit.

All easy fixes.

Start pairing the matching drums up. That way the lugs match.
Ditch the Powersonic.....truely feeble. EMAD if you like....or check out a PS3.
Tighten the screws that are rattling in the bass drum mount.
Most importantly, practice your tuning. Honestly mate, I gigged and recorded with Exports for years....it ain't the drums. The fact that you're struggling for a good sound is not the drums fault. It's the fault of the guy tuning them. It's an art that doesn't come easily. The more you do it, the better you get.

Realistically, none of the reason you've stated warrant an upgrade. I certainly remember being your age and wanting a "bigger, better kit" and all the bling to go with it. But trust me, kits come and kits go....snares and cymbals tend to go the journey. They are a far better investment in the long run. Play what you have (it's a solid kit) and concentrate on improving. If you had some complete entry level piece of junk, I'd say go ahead and upgrade, but honestly the Exports don't need to be upgraded....you'll just blowing cash that you don't need to. There's plenty of time to get gear obsessed when you've got cash to burn. :)

I guess that i can Use My Birch Exports, 10, 12, 16 inch toms. The lugs match on those, though the fade is a little different. I was thinking the same thing on ditching the Powersonic. Im a fan of Evans, ever since i tried them. But im willing to try an Aquarian or Remo. I have tightened every part of the deal. I dont know tech terms, but the Wing Bolts, and the screws going through that Bass Drum Itself. It doesnt seem loose, it just rattles.

Go with the best of the bass drums.. Take the 10'', 12'' and the 16''.
Tune the 10'' somewhat higher than the 12'', and tune the 16'' higher than you would normally do. Powerstroke 3's for bass drums are great. Get whatever head you want for the front, Coated ambassador for example.

Remember, it doesn't matter how the drums look when you record! So just pick the best sounding drums. Or make them sound the best. Tune for ages, dampen with a little ducttape here and there... It doesn't look very well, but it sure get's the job done, and it's cheap....

Im not a great tuner either, but i recently discored a trick that get's the drums somewhat near the "sweeeeeet" spot. Try putting your first into the middle of the drum head, which is tuned fingertight. (easier if it's a clear head) Then you tune a half turn on every lug in star pattern until the wrinkles dissappear. After that, you go through each lug, and you make sure, they all sound the same.

For bass drums, don't fill it with clothes, blankets, pillows etc! It really makes them sound like a piece of wood as you mentioned. Try tuning the heads a little tighter than you would normally do. Either leave it open (it might sound great) but if it doesn't then roll up a towel and lay it touching the batter side. You could, if it easily moves attach it to the batter head, with the help of tape!

Dont know anything to say besides: Thanks for the advise.

Also, check the hoop on the 18, it might be out instead of the shell (unless you checked).

A 12-16 or 13-16 is a great combo with nice separation in tone.

Take the mount off the bass drum for no rattle if the thing won't tighten, or just get new bolts and nuts--super cheap at a hardware store.
The bass drum mount is good for using for a ride cymbal arm too. Gives you one more stand to use for something else, and saves space too.

The good thing is all those parts are standard things you can find easily for replacement.

You can always take the tom mount off (or not) and place the tom in a snare stand.

It's all in the tuning.

I still have my toms from my ROYCE drum kit. Cheap mahogany drums with round edges. The same kit called Maxwin used to be sold in the Sears catalog forcryinoutloud!

I put the 12 & 16 on my sons kit and they actually sound really good.
The 12 has had the same G1 coated G1 clear combo on it for more than 5 years and it still sounds good (that's crazy right there!). The 16 has junk legs, and leg mounts, but it sounds fat and full.

Yes, ditch the Powersonic, worse than Feeble IMO.
Coated PS3 (nicer than a clear IMO) or an Emad, SK1 even. Aquarian Studio X heads are nice too.
Try them on both the Birch and Maple drums and see which one you like better...No, they will never sound "the same", but individually they could sound really good.

Yep, matching up lugs from drums you aren't going to use is a great suggestion.

OR, if you like the lugs, and they're sturdy, check into some shells and use the existing hardware. In making your own kit, A LOT of the cost is from the hardware not the shells--unless you get a real expensive wrap (Glass Glitter is at $99 a sheet).

Good luck if you can make it work (and save money)!

The Hoop and the Drum are not straight, because the head wouldnt go over the shell. I looked at the hoop and shell, and it was noticably ovalish. And i will be using 3 toms. I just cant deside between 12,13,16, and 10,12,16. There is so much seperation in the second, but my 13 inch tom sound like crap. I dont think its round either. I wish i had a 14 inch Export tom, any color(ill get to later). But supposedly there were not any made that didnt have Through shell mounts, and i aint going there. I like my rim mounts.

As for your suggestion of getting different shells, where can i go to look into that. The only place i have ever found is Drummaker.(com or net, i dont know which). Because that way i could get the dimminsions i want, and wood type i want. Id like to look into that.

Here is a couple things i would like to ask now.
1. We are finishing the song i mention earlier. When im done, would anyone be willing to listen to it, and give me feedback on what i might be able to fix with my drums. Idk if you can tell with a recording, but would anyone be willing to try?

2. As a said before, what website could i look into to find shells and wraps. Ikinda want to see what i would have to spend to re wrap my export, cause the White is getting really bad. And i also like wood hoops, they look nice.

3. I dont remember number 3.

Um....i think thats it, thanks again.

With regards to the wrapping, freshening up a kit is really easy. I have done a fair few in fabric (from a craft shop) for literally a few £ (a few more $!)

If you look at the drum modification sticky at the top of the threads list you can see my camo pearl export, and a hologram mapex snare. The kit cost me about £10 ($16) and the snare about £2.50. Its easy!

I guess that i can Use My Birch Exports, 10, 12, 16 inch toms. The lugs match on those, though the fade is a little different. I was thinking the same thing on ditching the Powersonic. Im a fan of Evans, ever since i tried them. But im willing to try an Aquarian or Remo. I have tightened every part of the deal. I dont know tech terms, but the Wing Bolts, and the screws going through that Bass Drum Itself. It doesnt seem loose, it just rattles.

Dont know anything to say besides: Thanks for the advise.

The Hoop and the Drum are not straight, because the head wouldnt go over the shell. I looked at the hoop and shell, and it was noticably ovalish. And i will be using 3 toms. I just cant deside between 12,13,16, and 10,12,16. There is so much seperation in the second, but my 13 inch tom sound like crap. I dont think its round either. I wish i had a 14 inch Export tom, any color(ill get to later). But supposedly there were not any made that didnt have Through shell mounts, and i aint going there. I like my rim mounts.

As for your suggestion of getting different shells, where can i go to look into that. The only place i have ever found is Drummaker.(com or net, i dont know which). Because that way i could get the dimminsions i want, and wood type i want. Id like to look into that.

Here is a couple things i would like to ask now.
1. We are finishing the song i mention earlier. When im done, would anyone be willing to listen to it, and give me feedback on what i might be able to fix with my drums. Idk if you can tell with a recording, but would anyone be willing to try?

2. As a said before, what website could i look into to find shells and wraps. Ikinda want to see what i would have to spend to re wrap my export, cause the White is getting really bad. And i also like wood hoops, they look nice.

3. I dont remember number 3.

Um....i think thats it, thanks again.

It might actually be cheaper for you to build your own set out of Keller or Gladstone shells.
Take a look at these sites for more info.
http://www.precisiondrum.com/
http://pdgood.us/drumshed/
http://gladstoneshells.com/Gladstone_Drum_Shells/Gladstone_Drum_Shells.html
This will help you a lot. Also, ifyou decide to build your own kit, register at Ghostnote.net
This site is a forum like this one, but for drum builders, there are a lot of very helpful people over there that can answer any questions you have after checking out the other sites I posted.

...And i cant tune the huge jump between the 12-16 or the 13-16 out of it. Im not the greatest tuner in the world, im probably not even good in most of your books. But i know i can at least give them a little life, and not make it sound like your hitting a peice of wood.
There's an (almost) easy fix for this and his name is Bob Gatzen. It seems like every time someone comes up with some tuning issues, which I've had tons of in my 30 years of playing, I always refer them to Bob. That's because watching his vids de-mystified the process for me.

Snare. Toms. Kick.

Back