Pearl Export Shell Material

xb2003

Hey,
I have a couple sets of Pearl Exports. I have no idea what year they are or anything else. I wondering if any of you might be able to tell me the shell material, or how to find that out. I'm trying to get a decent sound out of the bass drum, and i'm having no luck.
photo_zps827cf701.jpg

photo1_zps68cea444.jpg

These are the badges from the 2 sets, off the bass. I'm using the drums with the badge like the one on the top. I assume its newer. The other set, with the badge like the bottom picture have a serial number, and i just noticed that. Anyways, can someone identify these and give me some info on them?

I had always thought the ones with the top badge had birch shells. Its a really light and smooth wood. Im starting to think its poplar. The one with the badge like the bottem...it almost looks like partial board. Its kind of course with a lot of whitish looking specks in it. It hardly looks like wood. Ive never been able to get these drums to sound worth a darn. But i haven't tried as many heads on them.

Thanks,
Jesse

The bottom pic is from the very late 80's or early 90's. They would have either poplar or cheap mahogany shells.

The top pic I believe is from the early to mid 2000's, just before they stopped making the export series. Most of them are made from the same wood as your older kit, but some were actually made out of maple. I played a set of the maple ones before and they sounded far better than any other exports I've ever played. Much warmer and cleaner sounding.

Mine arn't maple. No Way.

There is a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit near me for $400 dollars...ive read good things about these drums. You think it would be smart to try and swap kits for those drums?

Mine arn't maple. No Way.

There is a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit near me for $400 dollars...ive read good things about these drums. You think it would be smart to try and swap kits for those drums?

I would probably do it as long as the gretsch was in good shape. Personal preference tho.

Before you start thinking you need new drums - what exactly have you done to get a better sound? I had two Export EXR bass drums and they sounded pretty good wide open with PS3's on the batter and a regular coated Ambassador on the front. What have you done? Tried different heads? Proper tuning? What?

Exports aren't great, but I haven't come across many that just couldn't be made to sound good. Let's make sure you've done what you can before you invest in more drums, because you could be doing the same thing to the new drums and getting the same results.

I've gotta agree with Bo on this one. Start with new heads and careful tuning and see what you end up with before buying new drums. Exports have a lot of potential to sound good, even great, but just like any other drum the sound is 90% head selection and tuning.

I have an Export bass drum, with an Evans EMAD batter head and an EQ 1 front head (no hole). It sounds quite good. I tend to tune bass drum heads up a little tighter than many who go for the just-above-wrinkle (JAW) tuning. Peace and goodwill.

Back